Possible to spend zero money after boarding?

graphicguy

Not sure if it’s possible, but I’m going to attempt to spend $0 once I board the NCL Gem on 4/28.

I’ve cruised quite a bit, on NCL, CCL, RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and MSC. I’ve done solo cabins all the way up to Haven and Yacht Club.

I'm absolutely sure that it is possible. But why?

Thanks for everyone’s input. I’m now feeling confident I can end up with a zero balance on my end of cruise invoice.

Obviously need to bring some walking around money with me for extra tips and incidentals.

Don’t want to be so focused on the invoice to have it impact my vacation negatively, though.

So, here’s a weird incident. The $800 I had in OBC turned into $1025. Not complaining if it ends up being real. But, wasn’t expecting it....not from NCL......not from my online TA.

Anyone had this happen?

Not sure if it’s possible, but I’m going to attempt to spend $0 once I board the NCL Gem on 4/28.

I’ve cruised quite a bit, on NCL, CCL, RCCL, HAL, Celebrity, and MSC. I’ve done solo cabins all the way up to Haven and Yacht Club.

I’ve sailed out of San Francisco, New Orleans, Barcelona, New York City, and all over Florida.

My sailing partners have been my girlfriend, then wife (now ex-wife), my son, my sisters. Since I’ve been single (although dating sporadically), I’ve taken a few solo cruises, and enjoyed each of them immensely.

Needing some time away from some stressful work and personal goings on, I decided to take a last minute cruise on the Gem, just to decompress.

Not once have I ended a cruise without a sizable bill to settle up on the last day.

I never sailed in an aft cabin, but always wanted to. I was fortunate to score an aft suite (SF). By booking through an online TA, where I did all the leg work, I was able to score $500 OBC in OBC. Since I use my platinum AMEX to pay for the cruise I scored and over $300 in OBC on top of that. AMEX is also including a bottle of champaign and a dinner at Le Bistro. That’s a total of $800 in OBC for the cruise and a specialty dinner plus the bubbly.

In addition, since I am in a suite I get three dinners and specialty restaurants, I get open bar (not including service fee). I get $50 in each port in credits to use on excursions.

I feel quite fortunate.

So, what am I missing that would cause me to come out of pocket over and above the OBC and all the gimmes?

unless you are a hard drinker I can't imagine where you would spend any money except for the gratuities. Of course you are going to be doing more tipping if you are in a suite. What you spend is up to you.

So, the OBC was increased to $1,025. Talked to Customer Service Dept of my online TA I booked it through.

Essentially, a chunk is coming from NCL for booking a suite ($300). Another $300 is coming from AMEX Platinum for paying for the cruise with my cc.

There's $100 listed as a "DM" OBC, and another $100 listed as an OB.

Finally, there's a $225 OBC listed as a "gift" from my online TA. I'll assume that's the commission for an agent they let me have since I booked on line and not through one of their agents.

That's $1025 OBC.

Then, there's the Dinner at Le Bistro that AMEX is buying me, plus the 3 Specialty Restaurants that come with booking the Suite. Also the UBP, the 250 internet minutes and he $50/port excursion credit.

Feeling pretty lucky. Never had that much OBC before, and never had so many "freebies" included, either.

Won't be bringing much cash with me.

If I understand what your saying, you can’t use OBC to pay for daily tips. It’s been a while since we sailed with NCL and I wasn’t aware of that.

If they are non-refundable OBC cannot be used if they are refundable they can be used. Just got off NCL and we found this out since some of us had non-refundable and some had a mix which included refundable.