Question about N. Statendam's Premier Journey

Daisyloo

We are contemplating booking the Nieuw Statendam cruise to Ft Lauderdale from Rome this Dec. It looks like it is her first cruise; definitely her first transatlantic.

What is your opinion on the chances of the ship not being ready and therefore the cruise being postponed? Is this something I should be concerned about? If we book this (and the air and a hotel for a few days prior to the sailing) what will happen if there is a delay with the ship? Am I over thinking this!?

If we book our return air from Ft Lauderdale to home through HAL, will they still get us home if the ship gets to Ft Lauderdale later than expected?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

We are not the ones to know if the ship will be delivered on time, as scheduled So many things can happen between now and then

Keep in mind, a maiden voyage almost always will have erattic service and crew has not started to get their rhythmn working together as a team HAL well MIGHT have many V:PS on maiden voyage and that sometimes makes those not in the 'elite' group feel a little 'put out

As long as you are willing to accept that, great, book it and look forward eagerly If my DH was still here, we well could have booked it But I won' t book i t on my own

When did they stop using the term 'maiden voyage' and switch to premier? :) ugh Is no tradition worth remembering these days on HAL?

Is the Naming ceremony in Netherlands?

The future Cruise Deposit husband-wife team on the Noordam last year were on the initial voyage of the Konigsdam and they related to me that much was yet to be finished when it sailed. Workers were still aboard throughout the cruise.

I contemplated this initial cruise before talking to my HAL PCC. At the Dec 5th departure time, she told me that Rome and the other stops were way outside the tourist season. I coupled this with thoughts of the Atlantic during the winter season and opted to choose another time to experience the new ship.

The first voyage on a ship can be very exciting. A few celebrations, the first on the ship passenger wise, the "new ship smell", etc.

But with a new ship comes potential issues - things not finished on board, some work carrying on, servers who may not yet have their team thing i place. It so depends on so many factors.

There have been delays in launching ships, but not often so generally speaking I think you should be ok for that issue.

To be safe though, you could consider booking with HAL's flight ease or FF miles. With my FF miles I can cancel up to 22 days before the date for a fee and not lose anything. If paying, with HAL's flight ease, you don't pay until final payment if you take the regular one, often a good price when you are crossing the pond and let's you cover yourself so to speak.

Hotels are a non issue, since they can usually be booked with refundable rates.

So, the question is not so much of risk as to what your expectations are on board.. Everything might run as smooth as silk and it may not. It's a first sailing, maiden voyage, premier voyage - whatever the right word is in this day and age.

Personally, if I was able to book the Nieuw Statendam's Maiden Voyage's sailing date, I would "Book It, Dano". (Family responsibilities prevent me from doing so.) Knowing that "hick-cups" might occur, I'd accept them. I've booked the first two 7 days cruises after her New Year's Cruise. Will I be disappointed that there may still be "teething" issues if I am aware of any? No.

We had a wonderful 31 days on the inaugural voyage of the Koningsdam. We had no difficulties with crew. They were all well trained and up to Hal standards. Yes, we had some workmen on board but we hardly saw them and they didn't interfere with the enjoyment of our cruise.

As for, if the Neiuw Statendam will be delivered on time. I do not have a crystal ball. So no one can be sure. All I know, is that Hal and Captain Albert says that so far all is well.

I am an optimist. We are booked on her, flights, hotel etc.

Sandra

It is very common for new ships to s ail with workmen still completing some projects Any here who were active HAL cruisers at the time, will likelhy remember whenZuiderdam sailed her Maiden voyage with a very large compliment of workers completing the ship :) All went just fine We sailed Zuiderdam a t least 5-6 cruises when she was new, her first year or so It was fun seeing work that had been incomplete on one of our cruises was finished when we returned

Thanks all for the insights. I'm pretty sure we would be fine with little glitches and unfinished things. We are pretty easy going and usually go with the flow. It is the possibility of the ship being delayed that is our biggest worry. It probably doesn't happen very often, but I know there is a chance.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the weather in Rome late November and early December. I've read that it can be cool/cold and possibly rainy. The cold we can manage (tough Canadians!) but I don't know how pleasant lots of rain would be along with the cooler temperatures. I know there is no way to predict when it will rain, but statistically it is rainier at that time of year.

Anyone been in Rome at that time of year?

Last week on Koningsdam, Captain Darin said they were two weeks ahead of schedule and sea trials are scheduled for August. I was booked on K'dam's maiden voyage but couldn't do it when it was postponed. Fortunately they knew well in advance and we were able to do the transatlantic in October 2016 instead. Looking forward to the Nieuw Statendam in December especially since I won't be arriving in the U.S. the day after election day.

Last week on Koningsdam, Captain Darin said they were two weeks ahead of schedule and sea trials are scheduled for August. I was booked on K'dam's maiden voyage but couldn't do it when it was postponed. Fortunately they knew well in advance and we were able to do the transatlantic in October 2016 instead. Looking forward to the Nieuw Statendam in December especially since I won't be arriving in the U.S. the day after election day.

We were on that maiden transatlantic with you. A great cruise. We loved the ship, and Rome where we spent about 5 days prior to the cruise. We did it again in April 2017 going to Rome from Ft Lauderdale and had another great cruise.

That's good to hear that they are ahead of schedule.

How did you deal with changing your airfare when they postponed the maiden voyage?

We were on that maiden transatlantic with you. A great cruise. We loved the ship, and Rome where we spent about 5 days prior to the cruise. We did it again in April 2017 going to Rome from Ft Lauderdale and had another great cruise.

That's good to hear that they are ahead of schedule.

How did you deal with changing your airfare when they postponed the maiden voyage?

We found out about the postponement from February to April 2016 while on Veendam in February 2015 so hadn't booked air yet.

I was on 24 days solo starting September 30 and Mom joined me for the crossing so I had 40 days in 2016 and two weeks last year for the Midnight Sun in Norway. Just enjoyed 21 days in the Caribbean. What's funny to me is Mom always said she didn't like big ships but she just turned 80 and was walking around the ship more this time then in the past. (pacemaker makes a difference)

Historically, if a ship is going to be late being delivered, it is the first ship in a series. Later ships in the same class tend to be on time. Several HAL examples are the current Rotterdam, Zuiderdam, and Koningsdam.

Now, there can always be something that prevents a later ship to be late, too, but it is not the norm.

That is not to say that even when the ship is "completed" it is actually finished. I was on the first cruise of the Eurodam. Doors on dining room service stations were hanging by one screw; the entire shower piece came out of the wall while a friend was showering; some cabins were filled with construction dust which had never been cleaned up.

More importantly, if there are VIPs aboard, be ready to be treated as a steerage passenger. Evening shows delayed while the Brass continues to hold court in the dining room---things like that.

Historically, if a ship is going to be late being delivered, it is the first ship in a series. Later ships in the same class tend to be on time. Several HAL examples are the current Rotterdam, Zuiderdam, and Koningsdam.

Now, there can always be something that prevents a later ship to be late, too, but it is not the norm.

That is not to say that even when the ship is "completed" it is actually finished. I was on the first cruise of the Eurodam. Doors on dining room service stations were hanging by one screw; the entire shower piece came out of the wall while a friend was showering; some cabins were filled with construction dust which had never been cleaned up.

More importantly, if there are VIPs aboard, be ready to be treated as a steerage passenger. Evening shows delayed while the Brass continues to hold court in the dining room---things like that.

Thanks for the info. We were on a ship once with a bunch of higher-ups from HAL and they took over the Crow's Nest every evening. It was so annoying as we like to spend time up there often, and couldn't.

We are still undecided with what to do. I guess we have lots of time to decide.