Celebrity cruisers sailed MSC??

59impala

We have only sailed Celebrity and are sailing on the Edge in The Med in 2019. We are spending 4-5 weeks in Europe and are considering the Baltic area and were looking for a short cruise of this area. MSC has 7 night cruises departing from Copenhagen and goes to St Petersburg on the new ship Merivaglia - the itinereary really appeals but the reviews are very mixed.

Would you try it? Or leave this area for another time and do a 14 night Baltic cruise on a "higher" rated ship?

We were thinking that if we used the cruise as a way to get from A to B and not our usual lovely cruise experience we would not be disappointed.

Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Cant comment on the specific itinerary or the ship, but we sailed the MSC Divina in the Carribean a few years ago. In our usual inside cabin. I'll give you our impressions. (As a point of reference, over the decades we have sailed on carnival, rccl, HAL, Princess Celebrity, NCL, and MSC.)

The Divina was the MOST beautiful ship we have ever been on - breath taking. The service was professional, the environment quiet and sophisticated (I would use those terms to describe X, as well). The food was very good - smaller portions in the MDR, but higher quality ingredients (particularly noticeable in the beef per ex-butcher husband). The buffet was much smaller, but again, an upgrade in quality (it's not ham, it's prosciutto.) We did not eat in the specialty restaurants - there was, literally, no reason to.

Entertainment was excellent IF one enjoys classical music, opera, cirque solei, solo piano type stuff. NOT much rock and roll around the ship. But everyone was at a professional level, well above the level we get on other cruise lines. Same thing goes for the set design and costumes.

BUT the majority of passengers are European. Many do not speak much English. I'm positive this will be even more noticeable on a European itinerary. I think this is the reason that MSC gets poor reviews on CC.

It's a 'different' kind of cruise. The similarities are somewhat closer to Celebrity than ANY of the other cruise lines we have taken. We would do it again, but have met others (on X cruises) who would not (they were all Americans, nearly all commenting on the language issues and/or joking that they felt like they were in a foreign country.)

Edited by jkgourmet

We have taken MSC in the Caribbean 3 times. The Caribbean trips may be different than the ones in Europe. In the US we had no problems. We found found the food to be good. Others thought is was not so good. The entertainment staff was excellent and always trying to please. The shows were very good. The production shows especially were well done. Less entertainment where understanding the language was important. The Divina was a beautiful ship and mentioned before. I think that you should try MSC with the understanding that in Europe they may be catering to a different population than in the US.

We tried MSC last year and whilst it wasn’t the best and my DH said “never again”, I said it would depend on price and itinerary. It is not the same experience as Celebrity. The food in the MDR was poor, the staff quite rude and the decor tacky (all my opinion). However I enjoyed the ports. As you are coming from such a long way away I would be tempted to try it. Just don’t have the same expectations. If you do try it don’t forget you can status match.

Just got off the Seaside last week. It was beautiful ship and we had an excellent cruise, but, we were in Yacht Club. Standard MSC is more like the large ships of NCL and not even close to Celebrity's experience.

We got a deal on an inside YC cabin, but I probably wouldn't sail MSC any other way. Just too crowded, with basic food, and tons of kids (they cruise free).

Enjoy!

Kel:D

Just got off the Seaside last week. It was beautiful ship and we had an excellent cruise, but, we were in Yacht Club. Standard MSC is more like the large ships of NCL and not even close to Celebrity's experience.

We got a deal on an inside YC cabin, but I probably wouldn't sail MSC any other way. Just too crowded, with basic food, and tons of kids (they cruise free).

Enjoy!

Since we usually sail on Celebrity or Royal, we also were considering MSC- but if it is anything like NCL- we wouldn't try it- as NCL was, IMO the worst cruise line we have ever sailed on having sailed on most cruise lines with a total of 40 plus cruises. NCL was the Most crowded. For some reason they do not have a main theatre, most functions held in a small lobby.

The Haven on NCL is the only thing to consider . So I assume if you aren't in the Yacht club- for- get- about it. MSC Off our list.

Since we usually sail on Celebrity or Royal, we also were considering MSC- but if it is anything like NCL- we wouldn't try it- as NCL was, IMO the worst cruise line we have ever sailed on having sailed on most cruise lines with a total of 40 plus cruises. NCL was the Most crowded. For some reason they do not have a main theatre, most functions held in a small lobby.

The Haven on NCL is the only thing to consider . So I assume if you aren't in the Yacht club- for- get- about it. MSC Off our list.

Hi Cah,

We actually have found a way to cruise NCL and make it a pretty good experience. First, we sail the Jewel class* (their larger ships are too much); second, we pay for the ultimate dining package and eat every evening meal in one of their great alternative restaurants; third, we avoid the buffet and eat breakfast/lunch in the MDR; fourth, we look for the "free drink package" (which of course is not really free)...,

We would choose NCL over basic MSC any day. The Haven is way too expensive, but the Yacht Club is doable in their inside cabins.

*the Jewel class has a pretty good space ratio and the cabins are well designed. If you can catch it without too many kids onboard.

Enjoy!

We sailed on the Seaside last January in the Yacht Club. It was our first cruise with them. We thought it was amazing. The service was excellent, the food good to excellent. Lobster was available most lunch times at the poolside grill. The cabins are not suites, but are very comfortable rooms around 260 sq ft I think. The bathrooms are very big and luxurious. We sailed for a week in the Caribbean and the cost was just over $4000. It would be impossible to get this kind of experience on Celebrity for this price.