Restaurateur's take on the new deli

coevan

I agree. The only thing Carnival should do differently is serve the condiments on the side. I'll be on the Horizon out of NYC this Summer. We NY'ers like everything on the side..lol

As a fellow New Yorker (born, raised, still live and will die in the city) I'm gonna be on the Horizon in June. If think I'm gonna eat pastrami on white bread with mayo.......oy vey.

You might be arrested in N.Y. putting mayo on a pastrami sandwich. Lived in Miami for 7 years, there is no salami on a Cuban sandwich.

American cheese, Kraft or not is not cheese, it's called a processed cheese food, whatever that is.

You might be arrested in N.Y. putting mayo on a pastrami sandwich. Lived in Miami for 7 years, there is no salami on a Cuban sandwich.

The NY police dept has a special unit on the lookout for people defacing pastrami sandwiches by putting on either cheese or mayo.

Must be served with mustard and sour pickle. Law was passed in 1897 and iis called the "though shall not deface a pastrami sandwich act" and was actually written by the legal dept of the Carnegie Deli.

Depends on the person. Should be better than Velveeta.

For others turning their nose up at Feta, no soup for you!

I like Feta- on a gyro, or salad, or even an omelet. But not a meatball sandwich. It needs melty cheese- preferably provolone. I would probably prefer it with no cheese than feta.

As far as mustard, I like honey mustard on turkey, but not regular mustard. I once had a sandwich that had wheat bread, swiss cheese, honey mustard, and bacon. At that time the only thing I like of those was the bacon. But it was fabulous. I am coming around to all of those other items individually now that I get older and less picky, but its still my preferred manner of turkey sandwich.

As far as regular mustard, I hate it- mostly. The only way I will eat it is on a hot dog and it has to have ketchup and mustard (one on top of the other) and sweet relish. I won't eat a hot dog any other way and I won't eat regular mustard otherwise. Yes, I am weird, I know that.

The NY police dept has a special unit on the lookout for people defacing pastrami sandwiches by putting on either cheese or mayo.

Must be served with mustard and sour pickle. Law was passed in 1897 and iis called the "though shall not deface a pastrami sandwich act" and was actually written by the legal dept of the Carnegie Deli.

LOL. I better not get a sandwich in New York then. I like pastrami in a grilled cheese manner, with grilled white bread and white cheese (like monterey jack or provolone). Of course I also think that St. Louis provel cheese is glorious, so my taste buds are clearly different.

I like Feta- on a gyro, or salad, or even an omelet. But not a meatball sandwich. It needs melty cheese- preferably provolone. I would probably prefer it with no cheese than feta.

As far as mustard, I like honey mustard on turkey, but not regular mustard. I once had a sandwich that had wheat bread, swiss cheese, honey mustard, and bacon. At that time the only thing I like of those was the bacon. But it was fabulous. I am coming around to all of those other items individually now that I get older and less picky, but its still my preferred manner of turkey sandwich.

As far as regular mustard, I hate it- mostly. The only way I will eat it is on a hot dog and it has to have ketchup and mustard (one on top of the other) and sweet relish. I won't eat a hot dog any other way and I won't eat regular mustard otherwise. Yes, I am weird, I know that.

Totally agree with regular mustard, gross. You are braver than me as I wouldn't put it on a hot dog.

You know you're from NY when you ask for McDonald burgers without mustard...

UMMMMMMMMM, we do....hands down, greatest city in the world!!!!

These people should only know about the NY Delis that I grew up with back in the 50s.

A nice big fat pastrami sandwich on rye, with mustard....cole slaw, potato salad and a kosher pickle....

That was the way to go.....

do people put condiments on a grilled cheese? to me a classic grilled cheese is just cheese and bread.

Condiments? No, never seen that. But I HAVE seen bacon and/or tomato on grilled cheese. Both are good, but yeah, they aren't "classic" grilled cheeses. That doesn't make them bad, though.

Condiments? No, never seen that. But I HAVE seen bacon and/or tomato on grilled cheese. Both are good, but yeah, they aren't "classic" grilled cheeses. That doesn't make them bad, though.
I've put crushed red pepper flakes in mine sometimes to spice them up.

LOL. I better not get a sandwich in New York then. I like pastrami in a grilled cheese manner, with grilled white bread and white cheese (like monterey jack or provolone). Of course I also think that St. Louis provel cheese is glorious, so my taste buds are clearly different.

You probably like a round pastrami, not a flat brisket. If you don't know what that means, I rest my case.

Thanks, good to know .they need to change from saying classic grilled cheese!

Sorry if I missed this, but just wondering about smoked salmon...is that still available with the new deli offerings? Will be on the Conquest at the end of the month. Thanks!
Post #90 has copy of updated new menu. Smoked salmon is not on it.

The turkey on a roll was my favorite lunch on Carnival. I had it almost every day. The turkey was warm and the sandwich roll was sooooo good.

I am sorry to see it go and I don't see one sandwich on the new menu that I think sounds even remotely like it would be good. I don't think it's an improvement at all.

Thanks, good to know .they need to change from saying classic grilled cheese!

The problem is the classic grilled cheese is made with mayo. My son visits the deli daily and was told he could only order a grilled cheese with butter during dinner. They don't keep butter at the deli.

Pastrami and corned beef go with mustard. So does a hot dog. No mustard on a burger in NY! With condiments so regionally specific, I don't understand who's bright idea it was to premake the sandwiches with the condiments? They could still premake them, just omit the condiments.

Has anyone mentioned this problem to John Heald on his FB? I'm not on FB, but I heard he noticed all the complaints regarding the lousy buffet desserts and now there's new gourmet cakes on the Horizon.

The deli used to be really good. I remember fresh sliced turkey on a sandwich made to order. It was a hidden gem!