Coco Cay Tender: Handicap accessible??

We'll be taking my mother in law on a cruise in July on AOS. She uses a walker now and isn't too steady on her feet. I'm concerned that it will be difficult to get her off the ship onto a tender when we go to Coco Cay. I've seen a few you tube videos and the walkway/ramp from the ship to the tender seems a bit wobbly. Any insight or advise?

Can be difficult depending how high waves are, won't know til get there as could be smooth waters. Crew will help who need it getting on Tender, but also depends how unsteady she is, can be scary to some if rough seas

She’s tiny so a crew member could lift her. We are considering renting a wheelchair for the week in case it’s needed. Do I rent it through Royal Caribbean?

No, RC does not rent wheelchairs.

Try one of these:

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/

https://www.scootaround.com/mobility-rentals/cruise?ref=carevacations

She is more likely to be allowed on the tender with a walker, than a wheelchair....but as long as she can stand and walk a few steps, with assistance, they can get her off and onto the tender.

Certainly you can get a wheelchair for use on the ship....but not thru the cruise line...you'll have to go thru an outside company for that.

She is more likely to be allowed on the tender with a walker, than a wheelchair....but as long as she can stand and walk a few steps, with assistance, they can get her off and onto the tender.

Not true. I see wheelchairs on the tenders all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In comparison...Cocoa Cay yes...Grand Cayman no.

Was on Brilliance with a broken foot (that unfortunately happened on the ship first night). Was told that unless I could walk on the gangplank to the tender, I could not go.

Walking was not an option in a cast...had to miss that island, but saw several wheelchairs at Cocoa Cay when on MJ the following month.

You definitely will want to check the weather to see if you want to chance it, however. When it is rough, that gang plank literally slams up an down hard from ship to tender. Not a fun transfer. :o

Thank you all for your help!! We were wondering what we would do once on Coco Cay so good to know about the inflatable wheels. We were looking today and might purchase a transport chair. It may be easier to get her around the ship that way if it's a rocky ride.

They look something like this:

IMG_1704-300x200.jpg

We'll be taking my mother in law on a cruise in July on AOS. She uses a walker now and isn't too steady on her feet. I'm concerned that it will be difficult to get her off the ship onto a tender when we go to Coco Cay. I've seen a few youtube videos and the walkway/ramp from the ship to the tender seems a bit wobbly. Any insight or advice?

I have used a walker for several years and on several cruises. Never had a problem boarding a tender. At the boarding area of the tender... have significant other (or crew member) move the walker into the tender then the crew will steady you into the boat. Going from tender to cruise ship is just as easy... have someone place walker outside tender... have a crew member(s) steady you out of the tender... grab your walker and off you go! Relax and enjoy the excursion!