Greenwich sail time

Jammy Bun

We're on the Midnight Sun cruise at the end of June, sailing from Greenwich. Does anyone have an idea at what time the ship usually sails away, as our London family would like to wave us off?

You depart on day 2 so you’ll have plenty of time after you’ve boarded to find out and warn the family.

I was on this itinerary last year and we sailed from Greenwich at 2pm.

Other Viking cruises with same itinerary depart as late as 7 pm.

I'm not sure , but I think the changes in departure times are due to tide conditions at that time of the month.

Either way, a great trip, enjoy.

I'm not sure if it is the same on the UK invoices but in the US, on the invoice sent by Viking (not the one from the travel agency), if you scroll down past page one to the "fine print" section, it includes the day by day itinerary including arrival and departure times and and indication of which ports will be tendered.

Sometimes but not always, this same information may be available on MVJ (MyVikingJourney.com) in the "My Account" section.

Thanks everyone, that's been helpful. I think you may be right, tide times may influence the departure. Fingers crossed it's the evening, then our son & partner will have finished work!

Janet

The Port of London website lists departures but at the moment I can only see to the end of April so I guess the time will be available nearer the time. We have seen many cruise ships from our home in Greenwich and of course they are moored to barges in deep water. However I believe that their departure time will be affected by the tides, which of course are well known well in advance.

We’re on that cruise departing Greenwich on July 7. Our itinerary shows a midnight departure. If your trip is on myvikingjourney.com, you can click on “My calendar” and then “view trip summary” and see all the port departure times. Hope this helps.

With reference to the previous post, my wife and self are also on the 26th June sailing. My itinerary says - Wed 27 June, departure Greenwich11pm. Obviously some confusion, a nuisance though, as I would have preferred to sail down the Thames in the daylight.

With reference to the previous post, my wife and self are also on the 26th June sailing. My itinerary says - Wed 27 June, departure Greenwich11pm. Obviously some confusion, a nuisance though, as I would have preferred to sail down the Thames in the daylight.

Hampshire Lad,

This is confusing. My daily calendar entry states 01:20am departure on myvikingjourney but the trip summary states 11:00pm. Not much of a difference as it will be dark both times.

Whilst the cruise out to sea may well be interesting, it is the river the other way into London that is more special. A trip on the Thames Clipper which embarks just next to the tender station would be a great idea. It is the commuter boat that zig zags from the south of the river to the north at Canary Wharf then up past docklands and The Tower of London and under Tower Bridge to the London Eye and Westminster. Takes around 50 minutes and is highly recommended.