Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I still think they could make something amazing regardless of the fabric. What I see is just prom style dresses.

It's not a Project Runway challenge to make something amazing with crappy fabric.;) And I still think they are designing based on what the person has asked. :)That is a sensibility that needs to be taken into consideration when designing specifically for an individual. Another thing to consider is none of the ladies so far seem to be fashion forward and would probably not be confortable wearing anything much beyond what has been designed for them.

Have ever so many taken so much (incredible hats) and done so little!

Boring outfits all around ..

I have to agree with you. If ever there was a time to do avant garde, this was it. To me, Michael D and Mondo were the only ones who came anywhere close. I thought AJ and Peach's dresses were cute, but too wearable for this type of challenge.

I really thought April was going to head home this week. Of the two of them, both a disaster, but the diaper/panties is just so unattractive. I think April had the right idea, wrong fabric. If it were me I'd have made a long, sheer, ethereal dress in a bright color.

Something like this in a bright, garden, flower color, I think I'd do the top mmore fitted, so it didn't look like a nightgown:

jeanette2003.jpg

Have ever so many taken so much (incredible hats) and done so little!

Boring outfits all around ..

I have to agree. But also we should remember that they only had ONE day; meaning they couldn't get too ambitious or else they wouldn't be able to finish what they made and send it down the Runway. To me, that's the biggest gripe of the last couple of seasons -- they give the contestants just a day rather than so many challenges in the past where they had two days.

If ever a challenge warranted two days to make a garment worthy of those hats, this was it. :mad:

Loved, loved, loved Philip Treacy as a judge. Soft-spoken, astute, and not afraid to disagree with Heidi and Michael's opinion. I wish they'd have more judges of his caliber and fewer "celebrity turned designer" judges....

I have to agree. But also we should remember that they only had ONE day; meaning they couldn't get too ambitious or else they wouldn't be able to finish what they made and send it down the Runway. To me, that's the biggest gripe of the last couple of seasons -- they give the contestants just a day rather than so many challenges in the past where they had two days.

If ever a challenge warranted two days to make a garment worthy of those hats, this was it. :mad:

Loved, loved, loved Philip Treacy as a judge. Soft-spoken, astute, and not afraid to disagree with Heidi and Michael's opinion. I wish they'd have more judges of his caliber and fewer "celebrity turned designer" judges....

Yeah.....what she said. :D

Agree with all your comments!

If they spent more time worrying about their own designs, instead of critiquing each other then maybe the designs might be a little more inspiring.

I agree. Seems like that's where the extra half hour of the show is being used and only begs for cattiness. I was hoping we would be able to see more of the designs on the runway rather than just a quick look.

Loved the entire team that won this week, and thought Casanova's outfit was fantastic (heck so was Peach's, Mondo's, etc). I too wish I had the body to wear those pants or that top.

As to the losing team, I agree with everything the judges said. Those outfits were terrible. I can't even remember anything redeemable about any of the outfits. Before the judging they were so over confident it was making me sick and then the way they turned on each other was horrible.

Can't wait until next week.

Neither can I but for a slightly different reason. I'll be on a plane next week on my way to my next cruise. Guess that's a good reason to miss PR.:p I'll be missing 3 weeks so I'm counting on you guys to keep me up.

One more PR for me before the cruise .. thank goodness for Tivo!!

Gretchen digs herself in deeper and deeper .. but I agree with the judges on who went home. His look was just ick!

I liked Casanova's pants .. but I would wear the camel slacks from the other collection.

Interesting who stepped up .. imagine Peach doing something different !

I just have to say GOOD FOR TIM!!!!

That was the most upset I have ever seen him. He is always the epitome of restraint and decorum.

Keep it up Gretchen, and you're going to really alienate the judges and talk your way right outta' there.

Odd week, I have to say that there was not one item on either team I thought looked good. I didn't even like Casanova's outfit, I thought it was tacky and cheap looking. Although the pant fit well, I think the embellishment on the pant made it look like a craft activity.

Gretchen talked quite a game (why didn't any of them stand up for themselves?) and it could have looked great, but it was all so ill fitting and drab. Have these people not watched a season of the show prior to coming on?

I honestly thought it would be one of those weeks where the judges would say, this team (didn't matter which) is the winning team, but there are no winners in the bunch. Maybe it's just my own personal taste, black lace looks like cheesy lingerie to me.

However, I would love to have one of theose grandfather sweaters to wear around the house. My old stretched out sweater bit the dust years ago and I do miss it. It was cozy to curl up with on a cold, rainy day.

Wow! What an episode!

So glad A.J. is gone. He has skinned by way too long (I thought he should have been in the bottom 3 more than he was and he was there twice I think).

Hooray for Cassanova. I didn't think he had it in him. hot hot hot. Will be interesting to see if he can continue. I suspect not. But who knows? Maybe he has just "gotten" the judges wave length.

Team Luxe was team boring. But then, that's how I feel about Gretchen. I never got why the judges were into her. Liz Claiborne on a bad day to me. And that's pretty much what her team (literally her team -- hooray for Tim, too) delivered.

And I was really not happy about the way the losers treated Michael. Hey, losers, he won the last challenge for a reason.

I pretty much hate these team things. This one was excellent TV.

Just watched the first two episodes of Austin and Santino. Surprisingly dull.

And I kinda resent the ominous music they play when Austin goes into a store in one of these small southern towns. Yes, people are just staring at him. And the cameraman. And the PA and whoever else is there. But that music probably says more about the producer's opinion of small towns than it does about the people who live there.

Hopefully.

Wow, this season of PR is getting a little....er....ugly. And I don't mean the clothes.

I wonder if there was always this much meanness in other seasons, or are we just seeing more of it this year due to the longer time slot? I'm not sure that's the case, because some of the designers seem genuinely helpful (Mondo and April trying to help Peach, for example), where others just seem to be wayyy too into the drama (e.g., what was with Ivey starting the rumor that Michael C. said something bad about her??).

Whatever -- the look on Gretchen's face was so petulant when she heard that Michael C was in the top. And Andy, sitting next to her, mirroring her every expression. Hmmm..... a little too much like that movie "Mean Girls."

That said, I think Mondo should've won rather than Michael C. Leaves me feeling that the judges are trying to send a message to "Team Luxe" for so conveniently tossing Michael under the bus last week. The whole thing just leaves me with a vague headache and a "meh" kind of feeling. This is becoming too much of a reality "show" and less of a real contest.

Bring back Philip Treacy!

P.S. I had a hard time figuring out what I thought about Tim Gunn's comment to Gretchen last week. While there's no doubt she deserved it, I'm not sure it needed to be delivered onscreen, and I sort of feel it should've come from Heidi, Michael, or Nina during the actual judging -- after all, they were the ones who had to listen to her spew.

I was sorry to see Peach go. Although her clothes don't scream runway fashion to me, at least she had a great personality. I loved that she was so gracious upon being eliminated, it showed true class. But it was a close call, Michael D.'s butt ugly prom dress made out of a butt ugly bridesmaid dress. I have no idea what the judges said off camera, but I'm sure it was a fine line that seperated them.

And then Valerie (is that her name?), how embarrasing was that monstrocity?

I do think Mondo should have won the challenge, I think it was ripped out from under him. Michael C., eh, not so great, way too short for anyone, even Heidi.

The Santino and Austin show, my daughter and I crack up. The funny part was them babysitting. The dress they made, again, ugly, ugly, ugly. The small town shopping part is getting a little one line joke.

There was one scene where the woman was fixing her hair mid show, not for the "reveal" and actually wanted to look that ratty. I said to my daughter "She combs her hair on purpose that way? I thought that look was achieved by not looking in the mirror and grabbing some hair into a sloppy pony and the rest of it just hangs. I had no idea that look was intentional, I thought it was just busy mom doesn't care look.

Edited by Happy ks

CruiseMom and Happy KS, I agree with everything you said about Mondo (I thought it was going to be a slam dunk), the snarky acting Team Lux, Valerie's disaster (could she have smushed out that woman's breasts any more?), and Peach's class act.

Maybe they gave Michael the win because the want to "hide" Mondo a bit longer? Tho I do like a lot of what Michael has done.

I'm starting to feel a lot different about Cassanova (more positive). I would have had him out there as the 3rd top look. And I loved his comment about not making a dress out of a dress.

Do you think Gretchen will bail?

I am not happy with season 8's format. We have very little input from the models, since they no longer have their own episodes.

Cassanova has surprised me with his latest creations-----I don't know why Tim thought that they were "old-ladyish." I'm glad that he recovered from his snit, to produce a great outfit.

Sorry to see Peach leave. I thought that they should have "aufed" Gretchen.

For season 9-----resume the old format.

I think Cassanova is a good designer but has communication skill issues, and he's finally understanding what the judges want.

Gretchen, as SeaBunny said, is a Liz Claiborne type. For the most part, her things are wearable, but not much of a 'wow' factor.

It was awful how they're treating Michael, really throwing him under the bus.

The show is starting to get more interesting.

I'm glad they have real designers, like Phillip Tracey and Cynthia Rowley. I think it's ridiculous to have actresses judge clothing. They're not trained in fashion, and besides that, can only view things in terms of if they would want to personally wear them. That's NOT how fashion is judged!

I'm getting ready for Fashion Week here in NY next week. I've got tickets to the Cynthia Rowley show, Ports 1961, Reem Acra, Carolina Herrera and a few others. I don't have a ticket to the Project Runway show.....yet. A friend of mine is trying to get one for me, so maybe.....

To me the worst outfit on the Sept. 9 show was....

...that mess Heidi wore at the beginning.

But I obviously have nothing cool or modern about me because I really liked Casanova's outfit. And I didn't care much for April's -- didn't hate it, just didn't like it. I did hate Valerie's short/vest concoction, yet it was safe.

As to Andy's swimsuit -- I used to wear a suit cut just like that one. Ah, yes. Those were the days. LOL

Best moment -- Mondo coming around about Michael C.

I can't figure out where the extra time is going with this longer format. They're sure not showing more of the design/sewing process. Is it all in the "good-bye, loser, we love you" bit at the end?

Hear, Hear SeaBunny! I thought they did Casanova wrong - that was a surprisingly elegant outfit to me too - and to have Gretchen safe with that oddly colored and boring outfit :confused:. When I saw the winner, I thought "WHAT?!:eek:" How did they pick that over Andy's lovely bathing suit and cover up - it looked like lingerie to me. I must be totally out of touch (which is probably why I dread formal nights on my cruises!).

Loved Mondo's turn around and his changed attitude.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up in front...

But I obviously have nothing cool or modern about me because I really liked Casanova's outfit.

I adored it. Apparently I am 23 going on 70. I feel like with the exception of what I think was his very first design (the hideous stripper-like thing), all of his clothes give off a very "monied" and classy vibe.

I also loved Mondo changing his mind about Michael C. At the end while in the back room during judging he even had his arm around him. I am really glad he was able to break out of that middle school pack mentality they all have about Michael. Sewing skills or lack there of aside, the way they were treating him was just downright shameful.

Casanova's outfit didn't excite me but I'm not sure it was bad enough (worse than Ivey's? really?) to warrant sending him home. I do think he isn't designing for the demographic the judges have in mind.

I liked April's outfit -- it's not something I'd ever wear, but it was really original in a good way (not original in a fugly way.....;)). I thought Andy's bathing suit and cover-up, while not the MOST original were well designed and even better executed; who the heck would've thought Valerie could sew that well.....!

The show is starting to get more interesting.

I'm glad they have real designers, like Phillip Tracey and Cynthia Rowley. I think it's ridiculous to have actresses judge clothing. They're not trained in fashion, and besides that, can only view things in terms of if they would want to personally wear them. That's NOT how fashion is judged!

I'm getting ready for Fashion Week here in NY next week. I've got tickets to the Cynthia Rowley show, Ports 1961, Reem Acra, Carolina Herrera and a few others. I don't have a ticket to the Project Runway show.....yet. A friend of mine is trying to get one for me, so maybe.....

Yes, except next week it looked like the guest judge is January Jones. And she's qualified.....how? ;) I suppose I shouldn't complain, it's better than it has been for the last couple of seasons.

Oh my, you are in the thick of it -- Reem Acra, Carolina Herrara (some of my favorites); lucky you! Although I'm sure you'll be working. Let us know if you get into Project Runway and feel free to share your thoughts if you do.

Edited by cruisemom42