Suggestions for after a (very) early port arrival

Hey, all...

I posted this in the PR thread, but I think there is more traffic here...

Just searching for some advice. We are sailing out of San Juan on the Jewel on Sunday, April 21. I've sailed out of San Juan before, but this situation is unusual. Flights to San Juan from Montreal were limited, putting us in either around midnight the night prior to sailing (Friday to Saturday) or 4am the morning prior to sailing (Saturday). Needing a hotel either way, we obviously chose to arrive at 4am Saturday, in order to have all of Saturday in San Juan prior to sailing Sunday.

Has anyone every experienced a super early arrival like this? Any suggestions on what to do? We haven't decided on a hotel or Air BnB yet, so that may impact what we do. We could always arrive at the hotel super early to at least drop our luggage, but we'll see. Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

Zackclear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Call you hotel and explain the situation, maybe they have an idea for you. I know once we had a really late red-eye flight. I didn’t even know that the hotel had “day rates’ and I could check out at 6:00 p.m. for $60 more. No brained.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The majority of hotels have a 3pm or 4pm check-in time....meaning that's the earliest you can check in for that night. Of course people may show up around 1 or 2pm and get a room, but you're talking about 12 hours in advance. With that early of an arrival, your options are to find a hotel that offers a Day Rate, or book it for Friday night also.

There are some hotels that have "day rates," and they are usually near the airport for issues just like this. Day Rate hours are for times around 9am-4pm (could be an hour or two earlier/later). For arrivals before that timeframe, it is usually just booked as the night before with a 11am or noon check out. But since you will be staying again that night, you shouldn't have to worry about the checkout time. Day Rates can be a flat fee (probably under $100), or 1/2 nightly rate or even full night's rate.

The other option is to reserve Friday night also and have it noted that it's late arrival. That way, whatever time you arrive, the room is yours! You can go check-in and not have to wait around or hope they have an early check in room available. Because calling and requesting early check-in is just that, a request! If they end up selling out the night before, you will have to wait on someone to check out and for the room to be cleaned and ready. So it's a chance you take. When you book it for the night and they know it's a late arrival, they will just charge the card on file... so make sure the card you book with is the one you actually want to pay with.

If you're trying to go the most economical route, I'd say search for a hotel with a decently priced day rate.

If you don't want to start your vacation off feeling drained, I'd say take the earlier flight and reserve the 2 nights. At least then you can check in at somewhat of a normal hour and be in bed by 1am instead of flying through the night and dragging bags trying to settle in as the sun is coming up lol.

Or go all the way frugal and take either flight then go to a discoteca that's open when you arrive! Hotel will hold your bags and you hang out on the dancefloor until check in time!

If you don't want to start your vacation off feeling drained, I'd say take the earlier flight and reserve the 2 nights. At least then you can check in at somewhat of a normal hour and be in bed by 1am instead of flying through the night and dragging bags trying to settle in as the sun is coming up lol.

Or go all the way frugal and take either flight then go to a discoteca that's open when you arrive! Hotel will hold your bags and you hang out on the dancefloor until check in time!

We are taking the earlier flight...getting in 4am Saturday, as opposed to midnight (Saturday to Sunday). This way, we have all of Saturday to spend in PR.

I'm guessing that's what I'll have to do...it was just that we won't get to the hotel until 5am-ish probably, so paying is annoying. Oh, well. Maybe I'll get an AirBnB with a keypad entry, so we can get there whenever. I'll look into day rates too. And I definitely don't hate the discoteca idea ;p Thanks for the suggestions!

You can't start boarding until at least 11am....so there's no real need to get to the ship too early. I, too, would book a room somewhere....

Perhaps a different flight, giving you either more time in PR or something that will let you arrive before noon the day off.....compare prices to booking a hotel.

I was recently down in Nashville and booked a hotel for 2 nights but then decided to leave the day before. By the time we got to our hotel it was around 11pm. We went up to the desk figuring we will just have to add the night and the guy at the front desk said wait until 1230am and come back to check into your room early. He said the auditor comes in at midnight and after that the rooms are accounted for. So, we were able to check in at 1230 for that days reservation. So, it could be possible depending on the hotel/staff. Good luck.

Day rates are as available. If they have some early checkouts or empty rooms from the night before, they will have them. But they might not have them.

To be assured of a room, book the night before and note that you will be a very late arrival.

The other option is to show up when you arrive. You may be allowed to do early check in. But there may be a charge (typically 1/2 the rate).

This is where status with a chain can pay off.