Baltic Sea

Ok... I'm planning to do the Baltic Sea in 2020 so I've got some time to plan...here are my questions...I see there are several different options with variations on the routes...which is the best? Should I hold out for the cruise through Stockholm's Archipelago? would that cut something out that is really fun? Is there any real difference in the ships? I think it's the Getaway and the Beakaway....I think they are in the same class, but I'm open to any and all advice....Now here is the big question...I'm doing POA in May...should I put down my deposit on the ship when they are trying to sell me future cruises? Will I get the best deal that way? I'd love to get advice from experienced cruisers...I've only been on 3 cruises in the past so I'm sorta a newbie...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

we did round trip from Copenhagen on Star. it was an amazing trip.

we booked our St. Petersburg and Tallin tours with TJ Travel. Incredible, highly recommend.

for Berlin, we did the Mighty Mecklenberg tour with Friends of Dave Tours. we did not want to spend 6 hours on a train (3 each way) to see Berlin, so this was a great option.

We unfortunately missed our Stockholm stop due to fog.

There is no choice of ships. It will be either the Breakaway or Getaway. I’m not sure whether they have confirmed for 2020 yet.

My preference would always be to sail the Archipelago, but don’t base your cruise round it as this itinerary does get changed, sometimes with very short notice (ie just a week out).

It’s a fantastic itinerary whatever. Other than Berlin (if you want to go there) and St Petersburg, all the ports are easy to do by yourself, although you would obviously been transport to Stockholm if you don’t go through the Archipelago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baltics are great. Unless in Haven (BA has roof that closes) BA and GA are pretty much identical.

Not any special deal by booking on POA except for buying cruisenext cert. You likely can find better deals through a TA so buy cruisenext cert then book when you get home unless way out from POA trip.

we booked this years Baltics cruise when was docking in Stockhom and sailing through archipelago

however a few weeks ago got notification of change to Nynashamn with complimentary transfers to Stockholm 40 mins away

so don't book based on promises of Stockholm as may change

we booked this years Baltics cruise when was docking in Stockhom and sailing through archipelago

however a few weeks ago got notification of change to Nynashamn with complimentary transfers to Stockholm 40 mins away

so don't book based on promises of Stockholm as may change

I had the same exact same thing happen to me.

Are you saying that they couldn't dock because of fog? If yes, that sounds very strange.

There are ships going between Stockholm and Finland and also other ports (for example Tallinn, Riga and St. Petersburg) all year round so it seems strange that fog can stop a modern cruise ship from docking in Stockholm.

Are you saying that they couldn't dock because of fog? If yes, that sounds very strange.

There are ships going between Stockholm and Finland and also other ports (for example Tallinn, Riga and St. Petersburg) all year round so it seems strange that fog can stop a modern cruise ship from docking in Stockholm.

It is my understanding that the Getaway had difficulty with fog in Stockholm because of its size and the size of the port. It is apparently very tricky to get to that port.

Also strong winds stopped the Getaway from getting in Warnemunde for 24 hours last summer causing those cruisers to miss the port of Tallin. (Warnemunde was an embarkation port so they could not skip it.)

It is my understanding that the Getaway had difficulty with fog in Stockholm because of its size and the size of the port. It is apparently very tricky to get to that port.

Ok, then I understand. The Getaway is much bigger than the ships going between Sweden and Finland so if it's tricky to get to the port in fog I can understand it.

we did round trip from Copenhagen on Star. it was an amazing trip.

we booked our St. Petersburg and Tallin tours with TJ Travel. Incredible, highly recommend.

for Berlin, we did the Mighty Mecklenberg tour with Friends of Dave Tours. we did not want to spend 6 hours on a train (3 each way) to see Berlin, so this was a great option.

BostonGal,

What did you think of the Mighty Mecklenberg Tour with Friends of Dave?? We are thinking of booking it this summer but at over $200 pp, I'm a little hesitant but hubby is all for it (I think the lunch at the brewery is his draw! haha).

We were scheduled to dock in Stockholm last summer and missed it due to high wind so there is no guarantee. Definitely spend lots of time searching the baltic forum as there is a ton of info there.