Question about Amalfi/Positano port

25forLife

Funny, our cruise itinerary specifically calls out the port "Positano". Nothing to make me think it will be Amalfi.

YMMV

Cheers,

John

You’d better check.

We are currently on Nautica and have arranged private tours for Da Nang.

Itinerary states Hue/ Danang/ Chan May. It turns out that Chan May is the port close to Hue but we actually docked at Tien Se which is closer to Hoian.

A person who preceded us on a similar itinerary and used our local agent missed the private excursion as her guide was waiting for her in Chan May (where the itinerary posted) but they also docked at Tien Se. Fortunately she informed me of this and we were able to let our guide know that we too will be in Tien Se despite the fact that the itinerary still lists the port of Chan May.

You’d better check.

Hi Paul,

This is interesting now. Our docs (both deposit and final payment) has always stated Positano only (never stated Amalfi). Same can be said for O's web site from the beginning.

Just now I looked up itinerary on O's site and it is now listed Amalfi/Positano (states both ports now for the first time).

Thanks OP for starting this thread as I had no idea O changed description within the last month.

Cheers,

John

Hi Paul,

This is interesting now. Our docs (both deposit and final payment) has always stated Positano only (never stated Amalfi). Same can be said for O's web site from the beginning.

Just now I looked up itinerary on O's site and it is now listed Amalfi/Positano (states both ports now for the first time).

Thanks OP for starting this thread as I had no idea O changed description within the last month.

Cheers,

John

John,

You are welcome.

Of course, this only matters if you have a private excursion or DIY plans.

If you are on a O excursion it does not matter.

We were just fortunate that this person had warned us about this confusion - otherwise the 10 of us would be looking for the guide who was in a totally different port (the one that the itinerary indicated). That is exactly what happened to her and she had to scramble to find a different guide (she was refunded the money for the missed tour - a nice gesture from the operator even though it really wasn’t his mistake).

Enjoy - Amalfi/Positano are a beautiful part of the world.

John,

You are welcome.

Of course, this only matters if you have a private excursion or DIY plans.

If you are on a O excursion it does not matter.

We were just fortunate that this person had warned us about this confusion - otherwise the 10 of us would be looking for the guide who was in a totally different port (the one that the itinerary indicated). That is exactly what happened to her and she had to scramble to find a different guide (she was refunded the money for the missed tour - a nice gesture from the operator even though it really wasn’t his mistake).

Enjoy - Amalfi/Positano are a beautiful part of the world.

Thanks Paul.

We actually have no tours planned there. Was planning on DIY thing and make it over to Almafi. So even better if we start there;)

Cheers,

John

I am also curious about which port is used, since I don’t believe a shuttle is provided to town. Which town?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm pretty sure whichever one you go to you will be in the town, either Amalfi or Positano. But if you are in one and want to go to the other then you'll need transportation. Also you may want to visit Ravello which is above Amalfi, and that requires transportation, either a tour or you can get there by public bus.

I wouldn't expect Oceania to have a shuttle in either location.

I think the last time we went to this area the port we went to was Sorrento.

We have been to Amalfi/Positano by land and by sea. From Amalfi it is fun to take the ferry to Positano. Great views of the coastline. Then either ferry or bus back. It is a hike up to the town from the ferry.

My wife and I are on the May 25th sail on Riviera. We are planning on taking the ferry back and forth from Amalfi to Positano. We have done this before a few years ago. The Amalfi coast and all its small towns and alley ways are our favorite part of Italy.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to check again which port is most likely....assuming weather for tendering is not a factor.

Our schedule says, Amalfi / Positano.

At this stage I am planning our DIY day as most likely will be tendering to/from Amalfi.

Is that most likely ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

On our first Marina cruise (Oct '11) we tendered at Sorrento.  We were somewhat delayed in getting to the tender thanks to poor advice I was given as to when we should appear to get our tickets.

We were in Amalfi twice this past May on Riviera, which was also a tender port.

On none of these ports of calls were there problems in arriving at the destined port.  But I also know that it isn't infrequent for the port to be changed because of weather conditions.

There is no predicting these things.

23 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Just wanted to check again which port is most likely....assuming weather for tendering is not a factor.

Our schedule says, Amalfi / Positano.

At this stage I am planning our DIY day as most likely will be tendering to/from Amalfi.

Is that most likely ?

I had planned a private excursion booked for Amalfi when I noticed the Amalfi/Positano language and checked with my TA.  Per my TA, Oceania wouldn't confirm until 2 weeks prior to departure.  It ended up being Amalfi.

We just returned from the cruise and never made it to Amalfi.  Prior to boarding we were told we'd port in Naples, and then the next morning noticed Capri out our window and the cruise map on the television showed us heading to Naples and then making a turn back out to sea.  When the captain eventually came on, he said the weather was supposed to deteriorate further and we headed on to Sicily.