Photo ID for 16 year old?

Pat

I read in one of these posts that anyone over the age of 16 needs a photo ID and cruise card to get back on the ship. What if the 16 year old doesn't have a photo ID, except her passport, does she have to carry her passport around with her onshore? Thanks, Pat

I read in one of these posts that anyone over the age of 16 needs a photo ID and cruise card to get back on the ship. What if the 16 year old doesn't have a photo ID, except her passport, does she have to carry her passport around with her onshore? Thanks, Pat

one should always have their passport with them on shore. One of the reasons for cruising with a passport instead of a birth certificate and id is that the passport is more useful if trapped in a foreign country. If one is in country and their passport is on the ship, it isn't much good.

We always carry our passports with us. It is rare anyone asks for it, but better to be safe than sorry.

She'll have her driver's license in 6 months, its just this interim period when she only has a permit, so no photo on it. I will look into a state ID. Thanks for the info.

I would never ever take my passport off the ship in a foreign port - one pick pocket or purse thief and there goes your ID. A copy yes but not the actual passport - and yes get a state ID for the teenager

A photo is is required for kids 16 and older. A state ID is a quick fix.

You should NEVER carry your passport ashore unless it is explicitly required by the port or shore excursion (e.g., some tours in Alaska cross the Canadian boarder and you need a passport to clear immigration going each way).

I would suggest that she get a passport card. It is good for travel between Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean by land or sea. (It is not valid for air travel, however.) The obvious advantage of a passport card over a driver's license is that, unlike a driver's license, it proves that you are a U.S. citizen. It also has embedded information that would aid the U.S. Embassy or consulate should you ever be in need of their services.

We always leave our passports in the safe and just take our passport cards when going ashore.

You should NEVER carry your passport ashore unless it is explicitly required by the port or shore excursion (e.g., some tours in Alaska cross the Canadian boarder and you need a passport to clear immigration going each way).

You should ALWAYS carry your passport on your body when traveling in a foreign country. Good grief.

I agree. But I do always take a copy with me.

I've never understood why people are so worried about their passports? You are in a foreign country, you should have your passport with you! You need to be able to prove who you are and where you are from. If a photocopy was valid, then wouldn't you be worried someone would steal that and use it?

Maybe it's because I'm a border-city living Canadian. I bring mine to Detroit all the time and carry it on me. No safe anywhere nearby.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Those who are worried about having there passport stolen have to look at both sides. Miss the ship then no ID and stuck in the foreign country until you work it out. Or have passport stolen and get stuck on the ship at the end of the cruise and now have to take another one until fixed... I'll take #2 please..... Just joking on that last option. But really if you think about it if the passport is stolen then it can be replaced. You will still make it home. Taking photo copies of passports will still give all the info needed by a bad guy that they would get anyway.

If I am going swimming I will leave the passport on the ship. But if not it's easy to have a fanny pack with passports and wear my shirt over it. A lot harder to steal and if I only have passport, credit card, and ship card I it then no one usually can tell I have it on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

My 17 year old son got on and off the ship with just his keycard on our Western Caribbean cruise in March.

The keycard says “child”

No other ID is required if under 18

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My 17 year old son got on and off the ship with just his keycard on our Western Caribbean cruise in March.

The keycard says “child”

No other ID is required if under 18

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Interesting. The NCL web site says the age is 16.

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

Last week on our Getaway cruise they announced daily that all passengers over 18 required ID in port. Even though my son is only 17, we brought his drivers license off just in case. That said, there wasn't a single port (we had 4) that any of us were asked to show ID to get back on the ship. We used to always have to show both ship card and ID in order to enter port and board the ship. My last two cruises, we've only been required to show the ship card and no ID was needed for anyone.

Those who are worried about having there passport stolen have to look at both sides. Miss the ship then no ID and stuck in the foreign country until you work it out. Or have passport stolen and get stuck on the ship at the end of the cruise and now have to take another one until fixed... I'll take #2 please..... Just joking on that last option. But really if you think about it if the passport is stolen then it can be replaced. You will still make it home. Taking photo copies of passports will still give all the info needed by a bad guy that they would get anyway.

If I am going swimming I will leave the passport on the ship. But if not it's easy to have a fanny pack with passports and wear my shirt over it. A lot harder to steal and if I only have passport, credit card, and ship card I it then no one usually can tell I have it on

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

But if you lose it in port, how do you clear customs at the home port when you get back without it?

Fwiw - I've been told that if you miss the ship security checks your safe for passports and if found leaves them with the dock master. My parents were on a cruise where people missed it and was chatting with an officer who said that's what they do. So my passport stays in the safe. Plus most of the time if I'm getting off the boat I'm going to be getting wet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk