Celebrity reflection 10 night ultimate caribbean cruise - march 23, 2018

Marvy Mare

I am a month behind. I don’t know why I thought that you were doing this live.

Did you notice that it was a 3 D mural?

We will be on the Reflection on Mar 2020 for a B2B. Seems like a long ways off and it is two years away but we like to plan ahead, book the cruises on board for the perks and from what we found the best prices.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That’s funny. I kind of thought by the way you worded your question, you thought I was still on board. Lol. Wishing I was there. We’re booked on the March 2 (my birthday) Reflection Cruise. You too?

Maris

There is a lot of art work on the ship and a lot is with the theme “Reflection”. Something that I found interesting was the large mirror murals walking down the hallway past the Ensemble Lounge towards Blu. It looks like a lot of nothing but lines on a mirror. Anyroads it did to me and my wife. One night as we were walking towards Blu for dinner I had my wife pose for a picture in front of it and for some reason thru the viewfinder (lens) you could see that it was actually 3 D trees. Without looking thru the viewfinder it looked like lines.

Since you like to take pictures go look at it. It also made me interest in looking thru the lens at other works of art.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thank you for the explanation of much of the art work on Reflection; not that I even bothered to ask anyone. We have been on the ship twice now (2nd time along with Ken & Maris). I never realized that theme. I did see the 3D trees and the chairs made out of tree stumps closer to Blu.

I have a question. My friend and I are doing more or less the same cruise and had plans for The Boatyard. You said it was full when you got there (I have no intention of sitting straight up in the full sun in a hard backed chair). You said you left on the late side. I'm not a morning person so would LOVE to know what you mean by "late" b/c to me late is ... well LATE :D

What time did you leave the ship? I don't care if I'm in the 4th row or 1st but I do want a lounge chair and umbrella.

PS: I'm still laughing about the "cute" wombat baby! Too true!

Hi Sharon

Again I answered your post and forgot to hit submit. So I'll try again. I did get a suggestion from Dana (Deladane is her Cruise Critic name)- see above - I think on this page or the page before this about saving posts. I should follow it. Anyway, link to her review and she talks about the Boatyard.

They took a taxi and I think that there was only one other boat in port when they were there. I suggest that you do the same. Because we didn't get into port until 9am or so & were the last boat in & we walked we weren't there until at least 10:30. It was a more expensive entrance fee than Pirate's Cove & I don't think you got a lot more, unless you are interested in a snorkelling tour. So even if there isn't a seat on the beach at the Boatyard you can take a short walk next door.

Maris

That’s funny. I kind of thought by the way you worded your question, you thought I was still on board. Lol. Wishing I was there. We’re booked on the March 2 (my birthday) Reflection Cruise. You too?

Maris

Planning on it and have it booked as the first leg of the B2B. The two cruises that follow starting on Mar 23 have better prices but are over Easter and we would rather be home at that time for that and also because it is getting into April and that is getting too late into the spring.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Planning on it and have it booked as the first leg of the B2B. The two cruises that follow starting on Mar 23 have better prices but are over Easter and we would rather be home at that time for that and also because it is getting into April and that is getting too late into the spring.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

See you in 2002. We'll have to have another look at all that art work.:D

Maris

Hi Sharon

Again I answered your post and forgot to hit submit. So I'll try again. I did get a suggestion from Dana (Deladane is her Cruise Critic name)- see above - I think on this page or the page before this about saving posts. I should follow it. Anyway, link to her review and she talks about the Boatyard.

They took a taxi and I think that there was only one other boat in port when they were there. I suggest that you do the same. Because we didn't get into port until 9am or so & were the last boat in & we walked we weren't there until at least 10:30. It was a more expensive entrance fee than Pirate's Cove & I don't think you got a lot more, unless you are interested in a snorkelling tour. So even if there isn't a seat on the beach at the Boatyard you can take a short walk next door.

Maris

[emoji765]20.00 lounger umbrella rum punch or beer, taxi back to cruise terminal

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep was 15 now gone up, to 20 the gentleman who runs The Boatyard has radio contact with his staff and his presence is quite calming, we get there pretty early to get 1st row loungers then if we’ve had enough jump in taxi back to terminal to shop or we’ve walked before and stopped of at the Marina to watch the boats bring in their catch, great chance to see Large fish [emoji476] in and out of the water seen a few dolphins [emoji227] trying to steal the daily catch. Julie (SocaQueen)

There is an incredible moon set over the lake this morning. Just a few clouds making it more interesting and the lake is like glass. If I get my camera & tripod & head out I'll wake the sleeping dogs & you know what they say about sleeping dogs, so until someone stirs I'll continue my report.

BARBADOS (cont)

40565597155_5741f867cd_b.jpg

I just couldn't resist taking a photo of all that hair up under the hat - eww! But better still, & I didn't see it until I developed the photo, is the expression on the man's face to the left of the picture.

40565627315_792cbe75b6_b.jpg

Ken walking. Youprobably can't tell from this photo, but he's tired, hot and hungry as I never managed to get us lunch at Pirate's Cove.

40565619365_4db2544092_b.jpg

Just calls out for a snapshot. In all you read about photography they say 'watch your background'. Can you tell that I had to edit out the pole growing out of Ken's head.

41459024831_8b6f877766_b.jpg

He did a better job than I did, but maybe I should learn to use Photoshop and change that damn dress.

41459027891_c2f29b1830_b.jpg

All the other ships were still there.

Ken and the pups finally got up, but by the time I got my equipment together it was too late. Maybe tomorrow. I should be prepared for those moon sets over the lake.

39650186950_6bf7c18ce5_b.jpg

Notice that those people aren't looking up. I wonder if we walked under there too. It looks unlucky.

We headed back to the Refection for an afternoon snack up on deck 14 and then sat up on deck 15 for awhile. I can see the beauty of port days on ships but there's too much to see on land. Maybe when we've done 50 cruises. At our rate and late start, there's no way. Our next door ship neighbours had over 50 cruises under their belts.

Coffee's ready for delivery.

Later

Yep was 15 now gone up, to 20 the gentleman who runs The Boatyard has radio contact with his staff and his presence is quite calming, we get there pretty early to get 1st row loungers then if we’ve had enough jump in taxi back to terminal to shop or we’ve walked before and stopped of at the Marina to watch the boats bring in their catch, great chance to see Large fish [emoji476] in and out of the water seen a few dolphins [emoji227] trying to steal the daily catch. Julie (SocaQueen)

If there is a next time, we’ll have to take a cab. I’m learning. I’d love to see the dolphins. A few years ago we did a sea doo dolphin tour in Florida. We happened to be the only ones who booked a tour at that time & saw so many dolphins. One thing I have noted on the two cruises that we have taken is that we have seen very little wildlife. Maybe we just don’t know where to look.

Maris

BARBADOS (cont.)

The German ship Mein Shieff 3 was the first to leave port. We watched from our veranda.This was the start of their 14 day voyage so most passengers were our waving goodbye.

40744641634_6310acd343_b.jpg

You can see people up at the front in white robes. The spa maybe?

40565652355_ae683ba9f9_b.jpg

Not too many people up there. A few passengers and crew.

40565656705_53ee7978f0_b.jpg

A closer look at some of the passengers. I was looking for the 'front row girls' that we met on the beach.

40565661115_b4db72ab0b_b.jpg

The sky is really blown out in the photos below. Not much I can do to correct that now. Maybe Anthony Morganti could help. The metering on my camera can be a little tricky. Matrix is recommended for most situations but spot for some that you wouldn't expect like sunsets & sunrises. Still reading my books and manuals.

41459045831_e0faac0b0e_b.jpg

40565666945_684298e910_b.jpg

A final view of Mein Shieff 3. We were the next to leave, I think.

41679688002_b12906a8c1_b.jpg

As I mentioned earlier in this report, we purchased the 3 specialty restaurant package - two evenings at the Tuscan Grill and one at Murano's. This was our night for Murano's and the only time that I could get - we booked on board, was 8:30pm. Almost past our bedtime. We went to the early 7pm Celebrity Showtime. It was a comedian - Thomas John. I found him laugh out loud funny. I think some other people did too. He had some interesting and very funny observations about Mein Shieff and her passengers. Maybe it was because of our encounter on the beach with two of those passengers that I found him particularly funny.

Dinner at Murano was very good and by then we were very hungry. I should have had my camera with me there. It was all about presentation and fanciness. The kind of place where I refer back to my 'Tiffany's Table Manners for Teenagers'. There really was such a book and my copy was autographed by the CEO of Tiffany's & Bonwitt Tellers at the time. I don't know where the book is now but my aunt who was the administrative assistant (back then called a secretary) at the time, posed for the illustrations. We used our cutlery from the outside in and didn't have to lick our forks and reuse them. It was an enjoyable experience, but we were more comfortable in the Tuscan Grill.

Ken had the Goat Cheese Souffle starter and said that it was fantastic. He guarantees that you will love it. If not he'll pay for your order;). According to the wait staff, it's the only item on the menu that has never changed. He doesn't remember what else he had. I ordered the Dover Sole - prepared at the table. Well, it was cooked else where an filleted right by the table. The young woman who did the filleting was Ukaranian - can't remember her name but she was very personable and did a great job. She was also in great spirits, because she was flying home to 'see her mother' for her three month break when we returned to Fort Lauderdale.

It was also kind of loud in Murano's, more like the main dining room than the more quiet Tuscan Grill. That could have been due to dining times as well. We were at the Tuscan at 6 and 8:30 at Murano.

Tomorrow at 6am we would be arriving in St. Lucia. We just went back to our room after dinner and relaxed on the veranda enjoying the warm night air.

Hi Maris! I'm really enjoying your review, although we have been to most of these ports numerous times it's so much fun seeing them through the eyes of a new cruiser :) And your photos are fantastic!

Btw - we are neighbors, just a short float down the river into East City ;)

Hi Maris! I'm really enjoying your review, although we have been to most of these ports numerous times it's so much fun seeing them through the eyes of a new cruiser :) And your photos are fantastic!

Btw - we are neighbors, just a short float down the river into East City ;)

Hi Dave & Robin

Thanks for following and glad you like the photos. We actually live through a few locks & down the river. Crazy post office stuff has alway listed us as Lakefield, although we live on Chemong and closer to Bridgenorth.

I love East City. Immaculate is a great small school. Our daughter & her husband were looking for a home in Peterborough last spring when the market went crazy. They were really hoping to land a place in East City - a small town within a small city. Unfortunately they couldn't win any of the tough competitions and bought a home closer to the hospital. The upside is that our daughter can walk to work.

Maris

CASTERIES, ST. LUCIA Wednesday, March 28 7-3:30

As usual we were up early. We started pulling into Casteries shortly after the 6:02 sunrise. My first photo was at 6:05am. St. Lucia is very beautiful with lush almost tropical vegetation. It was very humid and hot. The predicted high for the day was 86F with afternoon showers. Most of our visit to St Lucia was under overcast skies. Much better for photos than here in Ontario right now but not my best day of photos. I did enjoy our day though. If you've been following, you know that all this cruise stuff is new to me, so I was very excited about everything. Of course I still get excited about Christmas and it happens every year.

39683233590_1d98f56bcd_b.jpg

6:05 am

41756908281_5828caa1fd_b.jpg

One minute later. I love how the scenery changes.

40857644515_24c7bc0cd5_b.jpg

Looking down the runway. St. Lucia is very mountainous and apparently the weather can change from minute to minute and it can be pouring in the interior and sunny on the coast. It looks like showers in the distance.

40857650295_c2c1917709_b.jpg

27620644478_0095ffd20e_b.jpg

Behind the airport. I've noticed on the islands that we've been to (all our vast experience) that abandoned buildings are often just left & not torn down.

39683275920_2f46198c2a_b.jpg

The photos were all taken from our veranda. In this port being on the port side paid off.

27620650558_d3052d73fc_b.jpg

26621221657_2ccebfd693_b.jpg

41450259562_05ca4c5890_b.jpg

Homes just hanging on the edge of the hills. Not sure how that truck got in the carport. Most homes have cisterns where water is gathered for the dry season.

41450255702_50c30e3a48_b.jpg

40857658205_9862f8ec8d_b.jpg

Casteries

27887753988_c03be361e3_b.jpg

I think that a lot of our neighbours were still sleeping.

26888598877_092c5b9a5b_b.jpg

Almost there.

40857655495_9a4291aa77_b.jpg

6:20 am. Those who slept in didn't miss much in the way of sunrises. The sunset at the end of this mostly dreary day made up for it.

26888602607_069bb56d89_b.jpg

Another house hanging on the edge of the mountain. Imagine the view!

27620668598_6b672b01a1_b.jpg

How the regular folks live. They still have an amazing view!!

40779234034_183617afc2_b.jpg

ST LUCIA (cont.)

39683318950_77cf041228_b.jpg

A few more houses on the hill.

27893064948_de63f2170f_b.jpg

I took this photo as we arrived on the island and in reviewing my photos, noticed that I took a photo of Queen of the Carnival as we were leaving.

There was a group of bikers on the cruise. Their bikes were first off the ship and I think they had local guides that went with them in port. It looks like they had a great experience and were free to explore where ever they liked. I don't know if all their tours were with the entire group. I know at one stop when we were looking for lunch, there was a BBQ being set up. I went over to ask about it & was told "It's for the bikers". I think it was our bikers and may have been in Barbados?

Photos from our veranda.

41492178061_9bce184b46_b.jpg

40779237614_72a9b18545_b.jpg

27620693798_863f727196_b.jpg

40779246954_18c4cc398c_b.jpg

Looking at how colourful the bikes and riders were, I wish I had taken more photos down at their level. I'm a little afraid of bikers though - just kidding.

Our tour was again booked through Celebrity, just to make sure that the ship didn't leave with us at the end. It was The Island's Delights. I quite enjoyed it, but at 6 hours maybe a little long. I wanted to see the Pitons, a plantation, and the volcano and this took in all three. Ken might have called this tour the Fast & the Furious 18 or Death Wish whatever. He does not like heights and can be a bit of a nervous passenger.

We were in a van again similar to the one in Antigua. There was a passenger seat right up the front even with the driver. A very brave man sat there. It would have been a great place to get photos of the roads and scenery but I don't do well taking photos from moving vehicles.

I'm not afraid of heights but not a fan of roller coasters. Being driven at high speeds up and down mountains on the wrong side of winding roads can be a bit unnerving. There were no guardrails along the roads either. It was quite an adventure. But we lived to tell the tale.

27620700338_a7c2effcb5_b.jpg

Our guide, Donna. She was another excellent guide and able to speak and stand without falling over while we negotiated those roads.

Our first stop.

27620712688_eda6556cf4_b.jpg

27620707648_0e1397e360_b.jpg

39683359310_6ec4256f75_b.jpg

39683356410_abcb96d5c0_b.jpg

I like a straight horizon in photos but with pics of these big ships it is sometimes necessary to choose between the level horizon or level ship. Not sure why that happens.

40598713915_7f08be15b6_b.jpg

Marigot Bay. I know that the view from Shirley Heights in Antigua is supposed to be one of the most beautiful in the Caribbean but I think Marigot Bay gives it some competition. The vegetation in Antigua was so brown. Everything in St. Lucia was beautiful shades of green.

ST. LUCIA (cont.)

House overlooking Marigot Bay. Wouldn't it be amazing to sit on that balcony.

40598723765_5042a63aec_b.jpg

It looks as if the doors to the house are wide open. I didn't notice any bugs. You couldn't do that at our place in the summer.

41450339242_ae691d66aa_b.jpg

41492257031_4f42f8a43c_b.jpg

41040979694_c9df648060_b.jpg

Our next visit, I don't think we stopped, was a drive through a banana plantation. It was huge. St Lucia produces 'Free Trade' bananas and though I'm not sure what that it's, I think it's a good thing. A good thing for the banana production in St Lucia anyway. St. Lucia sends most of it's bananas to Great Britain. The one's it doesn't send stay home & become many different banana things. I wish I'd kept a list but from what I can remember there was banana ketchup and not banana bread. We actually did stop for a few moments to allow people to buy some banana stuff, but since I don't like bananas or ketchup and they weren't selling plain old bananas, which Ken likes, we didn't buy anything.

I only have one photo from the banana plantation. As I have mentioned I have no skill at taking photos from a moving vehicle. I will have to practice before our next vacation. If Ken has his way, we will never be in a moving vehicle in St. Lucia again.

27620738358_97be2f46a2_b.jpg

When the bananas are ripe, they are wrapped in plastic bags to protect them from bugs. The land where the plantation was in central St Lucia was quite flat. It felt like a different country. The sun was shining while we were there too. The weather varies in different areas of the country due to the mountains. I grew up in Vancouver, BC. We had the rainy season at least 11 months of the year, from what I remember, due to the mountains.

41492261801_4839102751_b.jpg

Our next stop was at a little fishing village. I think it was called Anse Le Ray. There was a tourist market there, selling some of the same items that a little old lady made in Jamaica when we were there on our last cruise. One women had some nice small paintings that 'her brother made'. We didn't see the same paintings at any of our other stops on various islands, so maybe her brother did make them. In retrospect, I wish we'd bought one. Ken is more willing to part with a dollar than I am (my Scottish heritage), and he should just go ahead and purchase some things without asking me.

26621334897_46141d00c6_b.jpg

There are dogs everywhere and they all look similar. Must be related. It looks like they have the perfect dog life; wandering where ever they want, probably eating fish scraps and digging a hole in the sand to take a rest in the shade. Our dogs would love the opportunity to roll in dead fish and dig holes in our lawn without getting chastised.

41492269701_78e8eb9382_b.jpg

Fishing boats

40598756525_2bc484e457_b.jpg

40598753155_e16936c194_b.jpg

Look at that sky! I love it!

39683416770_41649d5841_b.jpg

Ken hates having his photo taken, but I like this one. I made him take a picture of me here too but if I don't like the results, I don't have to post it. I think maybe I will though, just because for once I'm not wearing 'the dress'.

40598760575_96a55faa30_b.jpg

No, I went back and looked at the photo. The answer to the question 'Do I look fat in this photo?' would be 'Yes', so no photo of me, but Ken gets two.

39683428200_c012e94ed9_b.jpg

A back road.

39951008230_f8f08fd171_b.jpg

The road itself looks like Ontario roads in the Spring. On the topic of roads, though the roads in St. Lucia, were crazy and winding up and down mountains; they were better maintained than the roads in Antigua.

I think the next two photos are looking back on Anse Le Ray? Soufriere is nearer to the Pitons and bigger.

27620778848_2a9f4b16b9_b.jpg

See that small horizontal frisbee shaped 'cloud' in the top right central part of the photo. A plane? There are also a few birds in this shot. Didn't see much wildlife on any of the islands and I think these are the only bird pics I got.

40779346404_12949b54e4_b.jpg

The photos are similar and I couldn't decide which I liked best, so I posted both. I like the clouds in the photos. I do love different cloud formations. I even have a few books on clouds, but haven't studied them enough to name the different clouds. I think these are fair weather ones with chance of a shower.