Hotels in Rome, Help!

elizabeth612

Hotels in Rome do not offer a free shuttle to/from the airport. However, virtually any hotel can arrange a private car to pick you up -- it will cost anywhere from 50 to 65 euros, usually. Or you can just take a taxi from the airport to any location in the central historic area of Rome for a fixed rate of 48 euros.

Trevi Fountain is a good location, near the center of the historic area. You can walk to it in about 10 minutes from either Piazza Spagna (the Spanish steps) or from the Pantheon, just for reference.

A hotel I've enjoyed staying in is the 9 Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari) -- it is a traditional Italian hotel, well-priced if you book in advance and includes a lovely breakfast on their rooftop terrace. The location is excellent; about halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. Great restaurants, bars and shopping nearby and walkable to almost all of the historic sites.

The hotel itself is not a brand spanking new American style place. Rooms are a decent size for Europe and the bathrooms are modern but they are not fancy.

Edited to add: There are a number of good choices around the Pantheon area as well, so if you want more info or choices, just ask. I usually go to Rome once or twice a year and enjoy trying different hotels....

Hotels in Rome do not offer a free shuttle to/from the airport. However, virtually any hotel can arrange a private car to pick you up -- it will cost anywhere from 50 to 65 euros, usually. Or you can just take a taxi from the airport to any location in the central historic area of Rome for a fixed rate of 48 euros.

Trevi Fountain is a good location, near the center of the historic area. You can walk to it in about 10 minutes from either Piazza Spagna (the Spanish steps) or from the Pantheon, just for reference.

A hotel I've enjoyed staying in is the 9 Hotel Cesari (formerly Albergo Cesari) -- it is a traditional Italian hotel, well-priced if you book in advance and includes a lovely breakfast on their rooftop terrace. The location is excellent; about halfway between Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon. Great restaurants, bars and shopping nearby and walkable to almost all of the historic sites.

The hotel itself is not a brand spanking new American style place. Rooms are a decent size for Europe and the bathrooms are modern but they are not fancy.

Edited to add: There are a number of good choices around the Pantheon area as well, so if you want more info or choices, just ask. I usually go to Rome once or twice a year and enjoy trying different hotels....

Thanks!

A lot also depends on what distance you feel is walkable. I often stay at the Hotel Londra and Cargil. It's 1.5 km to Trevi Fountain but more important it's 1.2 km to Roma Termini Train Station. Rome is a very walkable city and part of our enjoyment is walking and seeing the sites.

We find 1-5 km walks easily doable (even in Rome heat) and like being close to Termini Station.

Termini is a transportation hub, but it's definitely not the most charming area of Rome.

Unless I'm only spending a quick overnight in Rome enroute to somewhere else (by train), I would avoid staying near Termini. In general I've found the restaurants are also not as good (except for the late lamented Agata e Romeo....:()

We stayed at the Domus Trevi, a small bed and breakfast steps from the Trevi Fountain. We loved the location. They serve breakfast in the morning. We were leaving too early for breakfast (for Mass with the Pope) so they put all kind of goodies in our fridge to eat in the morning. The rooms are small but location was perfect. They were very helpful in planning. If you go, check out the Trevi Fountain early in the morning - it is amazing without the crowds.

We stayed at the Hotel Hiberia and found it in easy walking distance to Trevi Fountain and lots of other places we wanted to visit. The staff were really helpful, breakfast is downstairs in the restaurant and its near lots of shops. We will stay there again when we go back some day. And I agree with the previous poster - see the fountain very early in the morning - otherwise its difficult to get close.

• 1 month later...

Eizabeth612-

Do you think that their outdoor terrace will be open in October?

I have e mailed them . It looks like a perfect fit for me, DH and DA.

(location, price and amenities)

I read on a site that someone said that the beverages were complimentary

in the bar during Happy Hour.

Do you have any other comments or helpful hints about your stay there?

We stayed at Barcello Medetteraneo Hotel by the termini station. It’s great, semi modern, great breakfast, 2 blocks from the train station to take to the cruise terminal, but also the subway which would be walking distance to Trevi Fountain. We are staying here again this Aug for our cruise on Crlebrity reflection.

• 3 weeks later...

Similar to the poster above, we have stayed twice at Hotel Grifo in the Monti area. Easily walk to all sites (except Vatican which can be reached by transit). About 1km mostly level walk to train station. Highly recommend a terrace room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums