need advice on Canada/fall foliage/St. Lawrence river cruise

alwaysflyin

Hello all,

I so greatly appreciate all the help I've received and hope that you can advise me again.

My parents want to go on a fall foliage/Canada cruise. Myself, husband, and 7 year-old daughter will accompany them.

The cruise I'm eyeing is on Norwegian, embarking in Quebec City on 9/21, then departing with stops in Canada and Maine before disembarking in Boston. A few questions:

1) The embarkation date is Friday 9/21 but it doesn't sail away until around 6pm 9/22. Would we have the option to board on 9/22 if we decided to do so?

2) My father really wants to see the St. Lawrence river foliage but for that we need to get on in Montreal. Those cruises are twice the price. How much do you miss by starting in Quebec City vs. Montreal? I'm not wedded to Norwegian by any means; this cruise is just so much less in cost than the other options.

3) What will the foliage likely be like that time of year?

Thanks!

I know on many lines when there is an overnight in port after embarkation it is permitted to board the following day - NCL should give you a quick answer.

Getting to Quebec is much harder (flight changes) and probably more expensive so the Montreal option might work for you. On the other hand, if you plan to get to the port the day before boarding, Quebec is a beautiful and unique city - and a better idea for pre-cruise.

If there is good fall color, you will of course see more if you board in Montreal - but even from Quebec you would see plenty. How much do you need to see. Of course, peak color along the St. Lawrence can be any time from mid-September to late October, so there is no guarantee.

Hi

First question, I am very sure that you would be able to board the ship on the 22nd., but I would certainly verify with the cruise line as to their rules regarding this. That being said, you would be missing out. You lose out on one night's accommodations with meals and entertainment on board. Also very importantly is that you miss out on the opportunity of spending the extra day in Quebec city as well as it's surrounding areas.

Second question, by leaving from Quebec vs. Montreal you aren't necessarily missing out any of the foliage (especially if you take advantage of the extra day in Quebec city to see some of the surrounding countryside). You are getting a different itinerary, than lets say HAL, but should be just as enjoyable. Most of the vistas with the possible spectacular foliage displays would seen as you sail down the St. Lawrence towards the gulf.

The big question...as far as the foliage itself...it's like predicting the weather. You are definitely looking at a good time of the year, but it is dependent on the weather. A few weeks one way or the other can be the difference spectacular and not. So, all I can say is, good luck (but you are going at the right time of year).

Just to advise...certainly look at the port of call threads for your stops. This is also a very unpredictable time for the weather. You can have days when it is beautiful and warm (low 80's) and just as easily it could be stormy and cold. Think of the tail end of a hurricane coming up the east coast. Look at weather forecasts the week before you leave. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

One other consideration for cost, is air fare to Montreal vs. Quebec city.

have a great cruise

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know!

The biggest issue is whether we miss much scenery by cruising from Quebec City vs. Montreal. Sounds like the answer is no. Great! BTW, tickets MUCH cheaper from Montreal so we will probably fly in there and drive up.

3) What will the foliage likely be like that time of year?

Your departure is closer to the beginning of the foliage season so it should be okay but probably not the peak which is usually around Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October.)

But no two years are alike. A couple of storms with heavy rains and winds and you could be looking at mostly bare trees in early October.

Your departure is closer to the beginning of the foliage season so it should be okay but probably not the peak which is usually around Canadian Thanksgiving (second Monday in October.)

But no two years are alike. A couple of storms with heavy rains and winds and you could be looking at mostly bare trees in early October.

or....you could be looking at lots of green :). This happened on our last early October visit to Quebec City (and surrounding region).

Hank

We did this cruise on NCL as a b2b from Boston leaving last year on Oct. 5. Loved it. Not much color the first week but by the time we reached Quebec it was beautiful. It was overnight in Quebec so I am sure you could embark on the first or 2nd day. Have fun

Viewing autumn foliage from a cruise ship is not the ideal way to do it. It is much better to drive for the best views.

That said, If you do have a choice, I would go with Montreal....

The St. Lawrence is considerably narrower between Montreal and Quebec City, and you can easily view both shores. After Quebec City, the shores get more and more distant.