Vista Suite or Balcony?

just_jenny01

We're booked on the Niew Statendam for a Feb 2019 sailing, and have great connecting cabins (I think/hope!) 6130 & 6128 (V category). Did lots of research on her sister ship Koningsdam and these seemed really good choices.

We've just received a quote from a travel agent for Vista suites, coming in at just a few hundred more to upgrade.

What do you think? Is it worth it to upgrade? Our current cabins show super big balconies, so I guess my question is more about the interior of a verandah vs. A Vista Suite, plus the added perks.....

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Those are seriously big balconies! The Vista suite room isn't a whole lot bigger, and its balcony would be smaller than what you've got. When I was on the K, I walked the promenade deck and looked up at those angled balconies. They look good to me. I couldn't tell if there was more furniture than on a regular balcony, though. I'm more excited about a large balcony than a large room, so I'd stay put.

The Vista doesn't offer a lot of perks. Telephone concierge is about it. I think if you do the upgrade you won't get the double Mariner days. If that's important to you, ask before you upgrade.

I have the same question. Why would people chose a Vista Suite if you don’t get a lot of extra perks and the room size is essentially the same? I’m looking at the Koningsdam map and it says for Deck 8, there actually might be bigger rooms for the Veranda vs Suites.

B - Vista Suites

Approximately 260–356 sq. ft. including verandah.

VS, VA, V, VF, VE - VERANDAH STATEROOMS

Approximately 228–405 sq. ft. including verandah.

The Verandah is $2929/pp and the Vista Suite is $3339/pp. For 2 people, it’s $820 to upgrade suite.

I like the idea of a suite, but it seems like a lot of money for not much more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have the same question. Why would people chose a Vista Suite if you don’t get a lot of extra perks and the room size is essentially the same? I’m looking at the Koningsdam map and it says for Deck 8, there actually might be bigger rooms for the Veranda vs Suites.

B - Vista Suites

Approximately 260–356 sq. ft. including verandah.

VS, VA, V, VF, VE - VERANDAH STATEROOMS

Approximately 228–405 sq. ft. including verandah.

The Verandah is $2929/pp and the Vista Suite is $3339/pp. For 2 people, it’s $820 to upgrade suite.

I like the idea of a suite, but it seems like a lot of money for not much more.

Remember that the high numbers are often the HA cabins, which have to be larger to be accessible. Most Verandah and Vista cabins will be the lower number. OP may very well have a rare 405 sq ft verandah cabin due to that large balcony.

Remember that the high numbers are often the HA cabins, which have to be larger to be accessible. Most Verandah and Vista cabins will be the lower number. OP may very well have a rare 405 sq ft verandah cabin due to that large balcony.

Thank you! That’s really helpful to know. The more I read about the Vista suites and the not so fabulous perks, I’m leaning towards sticking with a Verandah and hoping the upgrade fairy comes along and offers us an upgrade. I’m organizing a birthday cruise for next summer and had wanted to splurge on a vista suite or signature, but it just doesn’t seem worth the extra money at this time.

Thank you! That’s really helpful to know. The more I read about the Vista suites and the not so fabulous perks, I’m leaning towards sticking with a Verandah and hoping the upgrade fairy comes along and offers us an upgrade. I’m organizing a birthday cruise for next summer and had wanted to splurge on a vista suite or signature, but it just doesn’t seem worth the extra money at this time.

If you want a Verandah with a large balcony on either Pinnacle ship, try a VB on deck 4.

• 3 months later...

We booked a Vista Suite for the Koningsdam's initial Southern Caribbean cruise in 2016 at a very minimal increase in cost over a V category. After the cruise, we decided that we wouldn't do it again unless it was a free upgrade, as the perks simply didn't warrant it. We've booked on the N.S. for next summer and didn't give more than a passing glance at the VS prices.

• 5 months later...

Just off Koningsdam where we had a Vista Suite. Very underwhealming and not worth the upcharge versus a Balcony Cabin:

1. The extra square footage was minimal and the design did not use it well. It seemed more cramped than a friend's balcony Cabin we visited.

2. The layout with the seating area and desk between the bathroom and bed was not very functional. The standard of having the seating are next to the balcony is much better for us.

3. The seating was awkward and uncomfortable.

On 4/10/2018 at 9:16 AM, just_jenny01 said:

Agreed. I think we're going to stay put and enjoy our big balcony (especially when we open the divider between the two cabins!)

Sent from my SM-G920T using Forums mobile app

Opening the divider is a great idea. We don't get connecting rooms because there is more closet space without them.  We just open the divider and it is a great option for people traveling together.  We just say, "If the curtains are open, come on over.  If not, just call first"

I was looking at booking the King and my PCC recommended a verandah versus the Vista suite.

While it is slightly larger, the big balconies are in the Verandah category and she also commented on how the room was not well laid out in the Vistas to put the space to good use.

Just sharing in case it is of help to anyone. 😄 

We sailed previously on KONINGSDAM in a Vista and booked regular veranda 6100 for our upcoming sailing.

No substantial increase in cabin space or perk of any real value to justify the fare of the Vista rather than selecting an oversized balcony IMO.

There are times, such as on the Amsterdam or Rotterdam,  if you want a verandah there's nothing between a Lanai cabin and a Vista Suite.  (no regular balconies).  In those times we've booked a Vista Suite just to have a balcony-- and the double Mariner points don't hurt either. 

We've booked Verandah twice on Kdam and once on NS.  A friend had the VS.  We like the configuration of the Verandah better with the seating area by the Balcony as opposed to the Bed by the Balcony in the VS.  I don't believe it's worth the extra money for the VS unless you want the double sail days. 

On 4/11/2018 at 5:36 AM, catl331 said:
SLOTheta said:

If you want a Verandah with a large balcony on either Pinnacle ship, try a VB on deck 4.

I just got off the Koningsdam, and as a family, we had 3 side by side by side VB verandahs.  They were AWESOME!  We had our room steward open the panel between the verandahs, and there was lots of room for the 5 of us to sit on one verandah.  Be aware though, that the verandah is 4 panels deep (regular is 2 panels) and they are only able to open the last panel. Solid metal posts are between each panel, except the last one, that can open. You can walk to one verandah to the next, but there is still some privacy on your own verandah.

5 hours ago, idiebabe said:

We've booked Verandah twice on Kdam and once on NS.  A friend had the VS.  We like the configuration of the Verandah better with the seating area by the Balcony as opposed to the Bed by the Balcony in the VS.  I don't believe it's worth the extra money for the VS unless you want the double sail days. 

All ships aren’t the same, our Vista Suite on the Rotterdam had the seating area by the balcony. 

5 hours ago, idiebabe said:

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

All ships aren’t the same, our Vista Suite on the Rotterdam had the seating area by the balcony. 

Right, all Ships aren’t the same where the VS on Rotterdam, Zaandam, etc. have the seating by Balcony but the OP posted about the Nieuw Statendam so I was answering with regards to VS’s on NS and Kdam.

• Thanks 1