Bed linens question

broker1217

This is perhaps a strange question.

When we stay at hotels/resorts there is usually a clear cut system for signaling that you want your bed sheets changed.

I did not see this on Viking. Yes I know I could ask the cabin steward but wondered if anyone knew what the standard is. How often are sheets changed if you do not specifically request?

There was a sign on the left side of the bathroom mirror. It definitely specified what to do with towels but if I’m not mistaken bed sheets as well. I remember that we put a card with our steward name on the bed as we always do at the hotels.

• 3 years later...

Don’t you think that mostly has to do with the sheets being ironed?  They remind me of when I was a child and my Mom ironed our sheets and pillowcases as part of the weekly changing of them.  

I always thought how great it would be to be Jacqueline Kennedy who reportedly only slept on freshly ironed sheets-even if it was just for a nap! I bet her maid hated having to change the bed twice a day!

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

On the last pre covid WC they changed sheets every three days.  

That’s sounds right, they changed them once during our 7 night Iceland cruise.  That’s (at least😳) twice as often as they get changed at home. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

On the last pre covid WC they changed sheets every three days.  

This is what our cabin steward told DH he did when he asked on our last cruise ending in Dec.

Edited by Mich3554

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Don’t you think that mostly has to do with the sheets being ironed?  They remind me of when I was a child and my Mom ironed our sheets and pillowcases as part of the weekly changing of them.  

I always thought how great it would be to be Jacqueline Kennedy who reportedly only slept on freshly ironed sheets-even if it was just for a nap! I bet her maid hated having to change the bed twice a day!

Clay - her maids probably wished they had the same technology as Viking. The sheets are removed from the washing machine and fed into a drying/folding machine. They come out the other end - dry, ironed and folded.

• Like 5

Andy I need one of them.  Ironing sheets is one of my tasks at home so I love it when on a ship and others do it for me.  Of course no sense ironing the bottom sheet and I just do the top bit that shows on the top sheet but I am a master of ironing pillow cases.......🍺

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Clay - her maids probably wished they had the same technology as Viking. The sheets are removed from the washing machine and fed into a drying/folding machine. They come out the other end - dry, ironed and folded.

But they still had to make the bed twice a day. Ugh. 

• 1 year later...
32 minutes ago, LouisaCP said:

This is an even stranger question! does anyone know what the linen is washed in? or are they boiled?

If allergies are an issue, then you should direct your questions to Viking. They will be able to tell you what products are used in the laundry.

59 minutes ago, LouisaCP said:

This is an even stranger question! does anyone know what the linen is washed in? or are they boiled?

I'm relatively sure it's Ecolab Ecobrite Super Silex liquid. That's definitely the product in the self-service launderette, and I'm pretty sure we sell them the same thing for the ship's laundry. One of these days I'll have to seek out the Corporate Account Manager responsible for Viking and ask 🙂

6 hours ago, LouisaCP said:

I have a contact dermatitis type problem, but have no issue with the linen laundry. The sheets aren't boiled, but are washed at high temperature that kills bacteria/virus 

On 2/23/2022 at 2:55 AM, Missbetts2 said:

What kind of sheets do they use on Viking ships?  They are so crisp and smooth.

The same as are available anywhere if ironed and bed made using hospital corners. They aren't a particular make as such, look for 100% cotton or linen with a high thread count

On 9/1/2023 at 11:49 AM, WanderingBrit said:

I'm relatively sure it's Ecolab Ecobrite Super Silex liquid. That's definitely the product in the self-service launderette, and I'm pretty sure we sell them the same thing for the ship's laundry. One of these days I'll have to seek out the Corporate Account Manager responsible for Viking and ask 🙂

While I would agree that it is likely an Ecolab product, I would be surprised if it was this product.  It is a generic, one product detergent, while the ship's washing machines are generally programmed for each type of laundry being done, and I've seen up to 4 different Ecolab products being metered into a machine for a given load of laundry.

I've seen this question from this poster before, asking about animal free products, and I will say that while Ecolab claims to be free of animal testing, other entities claim otherwise.  Unless a cruise line advertises that it is committed to no animal testing in its suppliers' products, it is highly unlikely that those kinds of products will be used.

31 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While I would agree that it is likely an Ecolab product, I would be surprised if it was this product.  It is a generic, one product detergent, while the ship's washing machines are generally programmed for each type of laundry being done, and I've seen up to 4 different Ecolab products being metered into a machine for a given load of laundry.

I've seen this question from this poster before, asking about animal free products, and I will say that while Ecolab claims to be free of animal testing, other entities claim otherwise.  Unless a cruise line advertises that it is committed to no animal testing in its suppliers' products, it is highly unlikely that those kinds of products will be used.

This is really semantics.  If a chemical has been pre tested in animals from another entity, and Ecolabs uses the same chemical, the chemical HAS been tested in animals, just not by  them.  Ecolabs hasn’t tested it, so is piggybacking on other companies results but claiming THEY haven’t tested it in animals.  

14 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

This is really semantics.  If a chemical has been pre tested in animals from another entity, and Ecolabs uses the same chemical, the chemical HAS been tested in animals, just not by  them.  Ecolabs hasn’t tested it, so is piggybacking on other companies results but claiming THEY haven’t tested it in animals.  

I didn’t see where anyone suggested this was the case.