Slamming doors

tx121

:oNumerous times in the morning I am awoken by people slamming their doors as they exit their rooms. The walls to the cabins are very thin and you can even hear a persons conversation in the next room. But wouldnt it be great if cruiselines started installing sliding doors to the rooms so people stop slamming doors!

Very inconsiderate people.

I must admit my "DH" (but not with this issue) has issues, and just doesn't get it. HOW many times he enters the cabin and lets the door fly closed "WHAM" when I say something to him, he just looks at me "what" DUH. DON"T SLAM THE DOOR...I apologize to any neighbors that he might have disturbed....PS he also doesn't admit to be hard of hearing, so when I have to shout and the whole room hears me...again...."what"

Letting a door close on its own is not SLAMMING a door. Slamming a door is intentionally and forcefully closing a door hard.

I understand what you are saying, but with those doors, they are heavy and don't have the "soft close" feature on them. So, once they are let go of, WHAM. The only way to prevent that is to hold the handle until the door is actually in the frame, then click it closed.

I'm glad that works for YOU.

Not sure what you mean? With the capital YOU? I was just responding to someone who said they don’t know anyone who does that. I always thought that was the norm and considerate thing to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree some of the doors do slam easy. They are heavy and for some reason just seem harder to close quietly. We really haven't had too much trouble with this in all our cruise days: now up to over 40 cruises. As for thin walls, this has never been much of a concern either. In fact I have been amazed at how little noise we hear from other cabins. I have been in many hotels that were worse. The only 2 times we have heard conversations on cruise ships: one was an NCL cruise several years ago. I don't remember the ship, but I am thinking the Sky. The worst was a Celebrity cruise. It was so bad, I am glad the couple in the cabin next to us happened to be friends of ours. In the bathrooms we could actually talk to each other through the wall.

OP, thanks for bringing up your concerns; hopefully it will make more of us aware of how noise can travel

Again I am glad that works for YOU. Seriously now we have a 'normal' or 'considerate' way to go through a door? There is nothing inconsiderate about simply walking through a door way and letting it close behind you after you are on the other side. It is definitely not 'slamming' a door to do so. I have never had a cabin door slam when I closed it (except the one time one of us left the cabin while the balcony door was open). The door do close solidly, but hardly a slam. As far as the "thin walls" part of the discussion goes (not that you even slightly addressed that) we have never heard as much as a peep of noise from the neighboring cabins at any point during our cruises. Someone just has way too sensitive hearing methinks.

Oh well, we cruise in 6 weeks! I won't even worry about this kind of stuff for that week. I'll be too busy enjoying my cruise and not choosing to let what others do get me all upset.

Again. My original comment was just a response to someone who said they never saw someone close the door by hand vs letting it “slam” on its own. Slam in quotes so you don’t misconstrue my words. I use the word slam because of the noise it makes, not that the person actually slammed the door. It was just a fact that is how I close doors at all hotels not just cruise ships because they do make a lot of noise when allowed to just close on their own. Nothing to do with what “works for me”. And as I mentioned before, all this being said, I have never been disturbed in my cabin by any noise. Hope you have fun on your cruise. I cruise in 9 weeks. Bliss to Alaska.

I don’t recall loud doors closing being a huge concern but those who talk and laugh at full volume at 1 am going back to their rooms when others are trying to sleep are very inconsiderate. It’s not just on cruises, we have had people shouting down the hall to each other at 3am in a hotel that woke us up. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Letting a door close on its own is not slamming a door and certainly not rude or inconsiderate Whole point.

How did I know you were going to come back and still use the word slam? I’ll try this again, letting a door “slam” is an expression. It doesn’t mean that the person physically slammed the door. Have you never heard someone say “don’t let the door slam on your way out”? Whether or not it is rude or inconsiderate is your opinion of which I would disagree. The “slamming” noise can certainly be loud. This is not limited to cruise ships. Hotels too. Heck, even my own home the door will slam on its own making a loud noise and since my wife is sleeping when I leave for work, I certainly don’t let it slam on its own.

Other than when the balcony door is open, cruise ship doors don’t “slam” shut. I guess it’s possible that some idiot could go out of their way to do so, but I’ve never noticed excessive door shutting noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I installed slow-close lids in my home. :D

On the ship, as far as doors slamming, some people may not realize that if the balcony door is open, the stateroom door will not only be difficult to open, it will also slam shut.

If the balcony door is left open, and someone opens the cabin door, it creates a vacuum. Stuff is going to fly around the cabin. We learned this the hard way.

I must admit my "DH" (but not with this issue) has issues, and just doesn't get it. HOW many times he enters the cabin and lets the door fly closed "WHAM" when I say something to him, he just looks at me "what" DUH. DON"T SLAM THE DOOR...I apologize to any neighbors that he might have disturbed....PS he also doesn't admit to be hard of hearing, so when I have to shout and the whole room hears me...again...."what"

Are we married to the same guy? :D;p LOL!

I understand what you are saying, but with those doors, they are heavy and don't have the "soft close" feature on them. So, once they are let go of, WHAM. The only way to prevent that is to hold the handle until the door is actually in the frame, then click it closed.

I agree 100%. :)

Not sure what you mean? With the capital YOU? I was just responding to someone who said they don’t know anyone who does that. I always thought that was the norm and considerate thing to do.

Me too...

I have never seen it done. I will stand in the hall and monitor.

Not sure why me telling you that’s the only way I ever close ANY door warrants you standing in the hall and monitoring but what ever floats your boat. [emoji12]

You are missing the point. The OP said she is awoken by "people slamming their doors" not by the doors being noisy. A door does not slam by itself. No, I have not heard the expression you quoted. "Whether or not it is rude or inconsiderate is your opinion of which I would disagree." So no matter what my opinion is you are going to disagree? Assume for the moment that I am not a snowflake cupcake who thinks the whole world revolves around me and that closing a door is not rude, please explain how closing a door is rude... "even my own home the door will slam on its own making a loud noise" it may make a noise on its own but it won't slam on its own.

That is my whole point. Yes a door can slam by itself. Just because you have never heard the expression “Don’t let the door slam”, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. You seem to be ignoring the fact that I state every time that the word slam IS referring to the loud noise, not to the actual act of a person throwing the door closed. I am not disagreeing with your opinion. I can respect that. And nowhere did I state that closing a door is rude. What I think is rude is if one realizes that the door closing all on its own makes a loud noise but continues over and over again to let it do so. I mean come on, if you realize it makes a loud noise, and you realize that the simple act of not letting it close on its own will stop said noise, then why not?

Any expression that you may or may not have heard is of no relevance at all. The Op said "I am awoken by people slamming their doors", not " I am awoken by doors slamming". The whole crux of the thread is how rude it supposedly is for someone to not close their door in a manner that the OP approves of. It was a few other folks in the thread that actually said it was rude to simply close a door. The fact is that just because something happens that you (figuratively speaking) choose to get upset over on your cruise does not mean that the other person was rude, obnoxious, arrogant, or anything else. It simply means that the you gave someone else the power to "ruin your cruise".

Haha. “The expression that I may or may not have heard”... makes me laugh. Of course I have heard it or else I wouldn’t be talking about it. And of course it is relevant because I keep saying that slamming doors does not necessarily mean that the person maliciously slammed the door. It matters not weather the OP was awoken by the door slamming itself or by a person slamming the door. All that matters is one way or another there was a loud noise. That loud noise can easily be rectified if people realized that the door is going to close hard and make a loud noise then the simple thing to do would be to just not let the door slam itself.