Who To Ask For Available Upgrade or Cabin Change At Embarkation

jasm8449

We asked some years ago (so may have changed procedure) upon checking in. The clerk referred to the reservations list and indicated 'no' but that we should go to Guest Relations after boarding; they would have the final information. Hope this helps.

Last year on Silhouette was were booked in a category FV on deck 8. Two days before departure I noticed a FV cabin on deck 7 opened up and I placed it on a 24-hour hold on Celebrity's website. The deck 7 FV staterooms have balconies nearly twice the size as those on deck 8. I called our TA the next morning (now the day before departure) and asked if she could get us switched to the deck 7 stateroom. She called Celebrity, but by that time the sailing was already closed to cabin changes, sales, etc from the call center perspective.

The next morning I checked with the Pier Coordinator inside the terminal (FLL) who was at least able to confirm that nobody, according to his manifest, was booked in the deck 7 cabin (my 24-hour hold had expired some time during the night). He instructed me to check on board with Guest Relations as he wasn't able to make the cabin switch. Once on board, I went to Guest Relations and explained the situation. Without batting an eye, the woman told me all staterooms were occupied -- nothing available. I then gave her the deck 7 specific stateroom number, which she looked up, then walked away to speak with a Supervisor. A few minutes later she came back and handed me the keys to the deck 7 stateroom.

In earlier years I managed a few stateroom upgrades at embarkation, but in every instance it took mentioning the specific cabin or suite number I was targeting. Don't simply ask "any upgrades available?"

The Pier Coordinator is usually at the check in desk. Sometimes in a small office. Doesn't hurt to ask, but they are not authorized to make changes. You must go to Guest Relations and wait in line with others who want to do the same. Don't expect to get an upgrade even if you pay the difference between the cost of your current cabin and the upgrade as they will tell you that the ship is full even if cabins are available. The best way to get an upgrade is to call your TA and pay the price for your desired cabin.

The Pier Coordinator is usually at the check in desk. Sometimes in a small office. Doesn't hurt to ask, but they are not authorized to make changes. You must go to Guest Relations and wait in line with others who want to do the same. Don't expect to get an upgrade even if you pay the difference between the cost of your current cabin and the upgrade as they will tell you that the ship is full even if cabins are available. The best way to get an upgrade is to call your TA and pay the price for your desired cabin.

Celebrity no longer does upgrades at the pier. It has to be done on the ship, but it is very unlikely it will happen. You can try and call the Guest Relations desk after sailing as that will be when they know if they have any no shows or cancellations.... But if there is any thing available, expect to pay the prevailing rate for the stateroom. As stated above you are better off having your TA check prior to you sail date.