Passports needed in port?

btobey

We take our's of ship often. Not a big deal.

We did not pay much for them Like $100 New.

Low value and hard to turn over for a thief compared to our Nikon, I-phone'

the cash in pocket and credit card's.

Even if I lost em' in Bermuda my license and ship key still get me on the ship and back to home port.

And if you lost your passport in, say, Spain or Hong Kong, how would you get back to your home port then?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We always leave our passport on board when we depart the ship. We always carry a photo copy of the information page with us.

We do not want to take a chance of losing them or have them stolen. We put them away after they are used to board the ship. if you get into any trouble or there is some type of uprising while you are off the ship. the photo copy of your passport will get you into your nearest embassy who should be able to help you at that point.

I have been to over 40 different country's for work and travel and have not had any problem doing this.

YIf you need your passport you generally needed right there and then. Your model requires you to return to the port which may be difficult or even impossible in the circumstances. Even if you manage to get there you have to track down the port rep hoping that ship's security found your passport and left it with them.

My model is to reach into my passport carrier and present my documents. It doesn't rely on "policy," requires no additional travel, doesn't depend on others and removes the uncertainty that they might have not done what you hoped.

And with my model, which has served me well for over 50 years and in over 40 countries is to not get into unexpected situations that require that I need to display my passport when it is secured in my safe. The chances of a situation such as that is so minuscule that it barely registers. I have NEVER, repeat, NEVER, been in a situation where I unexpectedly needed my passport. And this is during the equivalent of over four full years of time traveling around the world. The odds are just not worth the risk of losing, damaging or having it stolen when I am carrying it for the virtually zero risk of unexpectedly needing it.

I have read of many, many people having to replace their passports due to them becoming unusable or missing, but virtually zero people who have unexpectedly needed it and couldn't gain access to it.

You are the one taking unnecessary risks, not the rest of us.

And again, you try to spin your logic as an issue of not trusting people. I am sorry that you clearly have trust issues. It must be a burden to live in a world where you occasionally need to depend on people you don't trust. With your lack of trust in people, how do you cope when dining in restaurants where you have to depend on others and have to accept the uncertainty that they might not safely prepare and efficiently serve your meal as you are hoping? Or the taxi or bus driver who you must trust they drive as safely as you hoping? Or the airline pilot who you must trust is as capable or as rested as you hope? Must be exhausting dealing with all those people you don't trust.

Anyway, looks like we are all pushing water uphill with this poster!

You are absolutely correct. But, I enjoy the back and forth of debating against bad logic, even if that "water" refuses to be pushed.

And, I am retired so have nothing better to do at the moment. I have already watched the paint dry, so now need to pass the time in some other way. :evilsmile:

Edited by sloopsailor

And again, you try to spin your logic as an issue of not trusting people. I am sorry that you clearly have trust issues. It must be a burden to live in a world where you occasionally need to depend on people you don't trust. With your lack of trust in people, how do you cope when dining in restaurants where you have to depend on others and have to accept the uncertainty that they might not safely prepare and efficiently serve your meal as you are hoping? Or the taxi or bus driver who you must trust they drive as safely as you hoping? Or the airline pilot who you must trust is as capable or as rested as you hope? Must be exhausting dealing with all those people you don't trust.

The timid often confuse confidence and self-reliance as "lack of trust." The true burden would be a life so filled with insecurities and weakness that I couldn't appropriately manage and retain something as mundane as a passport and be afraid to remove it from its "safe space."

We take our's of ship often. Not a big deal.

We did not pay much for them Like $100 New.

Low value and hard to turn over for a thief compared to our Nikon, I-phone'

the cash in pocket and credit card's.

Even if I lost em' in Bermuda my license and ship key still get me on the ship and back to home port.

Its not the cost that is the issue.

And to say that it is of low value and hard for a thief to turn over is not quite true. There is a lucrative Black Market for US passports

Its not the cost that is the issue.

And to say that it is of low value and hard for a thief to turn over is not quite true. There is a lucrative Black Market for US passports

In my ten years of Cruise Critic I have never heard of Anybody having a passport stolen on the Bermuda Boards.

Bermuda is the cleanest, safest island in the Atlantic with a very low crime rate.

I don't even think they have a " Black Market " let alone a " Lucrative one" for Hot passport's.

J.M.H.O.

The timid often confuse confidence and self-reliance as "lack of trust." The true burden would be a life so filled with insecurities and weakness that I couldn't appropriately manage and retain something as mundane as a passport and be afraid to remove it from its "safe space."

Oh, rest assured that I am anything but timid, weak or insecure. That I have traveled so often to so many countries, usually on my own without the use of guides or tour company assist, hardly makes me timid. I, unlike you, have the bravery to venture forth upon foreign lands, often with rudimentary abilities with the local languages, and WITHOUT my pacifier/blankee/passport clutched tightly against my body, constantly worried that some unforeseen calamity will befall me and I will not be able to extricate myself without whipping out that magical document to my gain freedom, in order to go scurrying away like a rat escaping a suddenly intrusion while comfortably dining on the latest trashcan cuisine.

People who cling to objects they do not need out of fear of imaginary incidents certainly cannot be called confident or self reliant. Instead, they can be considered paranoid and afraid of imaginary boogeymen coming at them from all directions. What a lousy way to live a life!

Oh, rest assured that I am anything but timid, weak or insecure. That I have traveled so often to so many countries, usually on my own without the use of guides or tour company assist, hardly makes me timid. I, unlike you, have the bravery to venture forth upon foreign lands, often with rudimentary abilities with the local languages, and WITHOUT my pacifier/blankee/passport clutched tightly against my body, constantly worried that some unforeseen calamity will befall me and I will not be able to extricate myself without whipping out that magical document to my gain freedom, in order to go scurrying away like a rat escaping a suddenly intrusion while comfortably dining on the latest trashcan cuisine.

People who cling to objects they do not need out of fear of imaginary incidents certainly cannot be called confident or self reliant. Instead, they can be considered paranoid and afraid of imaginary boogeymen coming at them from all directions. What a lousy way to live a life!

That told him Sloopsailor !

Wow.. cling to the objects... This is something new.

So when people carry DL, are they considered clinging to It?

For me carrying passport while traveling abroad is the same as carrying my DL while in the States.

Of course I worry about losing either, that's why I take precautions.

For those worried about being robbed, if you are robbed they will take your ID and ship's card will they not? And then how will you get in to the secure port to get to the ship at all?

Robbery I can deal with, even the loss of my passport.

Being on a shore excursion and having a problem, either getting sick, being in an auto accident, having a boat break down, having a bus get a flat tire, ect, can mean that you don't make it back to the port on time. Which means catching a plane, possibly back to the states. Which requires you having your passport.

I have been on many cruises, normally traveling with large groups and sometimes full ship takeovers. I only know of a couple of times where people were robbed on shore and lost IDs. I know of many cases where people discovered that they had trouble getting from one country to another after missing the ship.

Bahamas, six people missed the ship, security did not send anything to the port for them. 3 of them only had ship ID and cash having been told "don't take your credit card or your DL in case you get robbed." All had to fly back to Miami to pick up their stuff from the ship.

I got sick in the Bahamas when I was underage, ended up being taken to the hospital there. Thankfully my father had all our IDs so there was no issue returning. Granted, no passport was needed back then.

Cayman Island a boat excursion to Stingray City broke down, everyone had to fly to the next stop at their own expense since it was a private excursion. Nothing was left by the ship for them at the port.

Cozumel, boat on a dive excursion broke down (Carnival excursion) and the ship left without them. Carnival paid for them to fly to the next port, didn't know anyone that was on the trip so no idea how their ID or things from safe were handled.

So yes, I could be robbed. But I find that the chance is higher that something will delay my return to the ship and I will have to catch up at the next port.

For those worried about being robbed, if you are robbed they will take your ID and ship's card will they not? And then how will you get in to the secure port to get to the ship at all?

Being on a shore excursion and having a problem, either getting sick, being in an auto accident, having a boat break down, having a bus get a flat tire, ect, can mean that you don't make it back to the port on time. Which means catching a plane, possibly back to the states. Which requires you having your passport.

I have been on many cruises, normally traveling with large groups and sometimes full ship takeovers. I only know of a couple of times where people were robbed on shore and lost IDs. I know of many cases where people discovered that they had trouble getting from one country to another after missing the ship.

Bahamas, six people missed the ship, security did not send anything to the port for them. 3 of them only had ship ID and cash having been told "don't take your credit card or your DL in case you get robbed." All had to fly back to Miami to pick up their stuff from the ship.

I got sick in the Bahamas when I was underage, ended up being taken to the hospital there. Thankfully my father had all our IDs so there was no issue returning. Granted, no passport was needed back then.

Cayman Island a boat excursion to Stingray City broke down, everyone had to fly to the next stop at their own expense since it was a private excursion. Nothing was left by the ship for them at the port.

Cozumel, boat on a dive excursion broke down (Carnival excursion) and the ship left without them. Carnival paid for them to fly to the next port, didn't know anyone that was on the trip so no idea how their ID or things from safe were handled.

So yes, I could be robbed. But I find that the chance is higher that something will delay my return to the ship and I will have to catch up at the next port.

So your preferred cruise line will not get your passport out of the safe to give to the port agent if you can’t return on time, even if you phone ahead? And this same cruise line will refuse to have anything to do with you if you turn up at the port gate without your key card or photo ID card, even though they have a photo of you on file, and have other means of identifying you if your card is lost? I think your first priority should be to choose a more helpful cruise line!

Not sure which line you are referring to, but reputable lines have a robust system in place to deal with lost cruise cards or passports. Nothing in your post convinces me that it is less risky to take a passport ashore rather than leaving it in my safe in the cabin.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Not sure which line you are referring to, but reputable lines have a robust system in place to deal with lost cruise cards or passports. Nothing in your post convinces me that it is less risky to take a passport ashore rather than leaving it in my safe in the cabin.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

So, you are saying that they have a system for dealing with lost passports? So why are you worried about losing it?

As for calling ahead, you are not worried about losing your $600 smartphone or your $500 digital camera, but you are worried about losing your $80 passport? This to me is just funny.

But feel free to do what you want. If you are so terrified of being robbed you are obviously traveling to places where you feel it is very unsafe for you and your family. But at least you take all your expensive electronics with you as bribes for the local robbers.

Me, I plan for more likely cases. I have a waterproof pouch for documents and such and just don't worry about them.

In my ten years of Cruise Critic I have never heard of Anybody having a passport stolen on the Bermuda Boards.

Bermuda is the cleanest, safest island in the Atlantic with a very low crime rate.

I don't even think they have a " Black Market " let alone a " Lucrative one" for Hot passport's.

J.M.H.O.

And in ten+ years of cruising, I have never had an issue where I needed my passport in any port of call.

Just because YOU don't think there is a Black Market for passports and that it is not a lucrative business doesn't mean it isn't. And being a safe island with very low crime is no excuse for not keeping your guard up as a tourist - not doing so is what makes you a victim.

http://www.vocativ.com/news/241487/fake-passport-prices-black-market/index.html

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131622&page=1

So, you are saying that they have a system for dealing with lost passports? So why are you worried about losing it?

As for calling ahead, you are not worried about losing your $600 smartphone or your $500 digital camera, but you are worried about losing your $80 passport? This to me is just funny.

But feel free to do what you want. If you are so terrified of being robbed you are obviously traveling to places where you feel it is very unsafe for you and your family. But at least you take all your expensive electronics with you as bribes for the local robbers.

Me, I plan for more likely cases. I have a waterproof pouch for documents and such and just don't worry about them.

Blimey! That obviously got you going.

For your information, I don't have a digital camera, and would never consider owning an I-phone. I do carry around a 5 year old mobile phone, which no self respecting thief would even bother looking at.

I just see no reason to carry about a valuable document [$80 - don't make me laugh - worth much more than that] when you don't need to.

You carry on being a typical tourist with your waterproof pouch , attracting the attention of all the criminal fraternity, and the laughter of all the locals, and I'll carry on as I am, thank you very much.

Amazing how naive some people are. Losing that $600 smartphone or $500 digital camera won't prevent me from flying back home, while losing a passport will. There will always be someone nearby who can either make the call for me or let me use their phone to make a call. Your level of ignorance on this comparison is astounding!

Although you claim it only costs $80 (it is actually $110) to renew a passport in the comfort of your home while not on vacation, the cost to replace one while on a cruise will be much, much higher. There is the lost cost of not being able to use the cruise ship amenities when you have to miss the ship while getting it replaced, such as your stateroom that you already paid for. There is the lost cost of having to rent a hotel room while you are dealing with replacing a lost passport. There is the lost cost of travel arrangements to get to and from the agency that is helping you replace your passport. There is the cost of transportation to catch up to the ship after a new passport is finally delivered to you, which could be substantial if needing to fly back home on short notice from overseas. And there is the lost cost of replacing the passport itself, including all administrative fees and expedited delivery costs.

All that extra cost could easily exceed the cost of both that smartphone or camera, and absolutely exceed that $80 cost you seem to think it will take to replace it. Again, you are clearly naive if you think there is little to lose by losing a passport.

Passports, especially US passports, can get up to $10,000 on the black market. They may not be valuable to you in a monetary sense, but they sure are valuable to someone selling them.

Plus, there is the repercussions to you if your stolen passport is used for criminal activities. You will certainly have to deal with the fallout from an investigation caused by your old passport being found during a crime. That alone will add even more cost for you.

And as for that waterproof case that you seem to think will protect your passport - it will be a nice bonus to the robber. He will have something he can store that $10,000 windfall he made because you insisted on using it to carry your passport with you when you didn't need to.

Wait, the reason you don't carry a passport is because you are worried it will be stolen. So you leave it on board the ship.

And if your passport gets stolen you can still get back on the ship.

But if you miss the ship, you have to pay for a hotel room while you wait for the ship to get to the next port. Wait for the ship to send your passport to where you are, then get your passport to fly to the next location the ship will be at, or back home.

Now, what number do you call to talk to someone on the ship? And are you sure you are going to be late? Can you borrow a phone or get a signal while out on a boat or in between towns coming back from a tour in the jungle?

If you never leave the port, yeah, don't take your passport. If you actually go out and explore foreign countries, keep in mind you have a far greater chance of random mishap than you do of being robbed.

Ever watch those people running for the dock when the ship is about to leave? Think they called ahead to have their safe checked and items left at the port? Or do you think they expected to make it, until the ship was leaving and there was no time to call, and definitely no time for shiop's staff to go through all of that.

So, again, you worry about being robbed. I'll worry about a flat tire out on Burrell Boom Cut north of Hattieville in Belize where there is no cell signal . Or being out scuba diving and having an engine go out where there is no signal. Or riding a train back to port and missing my stop because I miscounted and am now trying to figure out where I am and how to get back. You know, the things that happen that you don't plan for.

Well, unless you live a nice safe life and never go off on your own. If you always do the ship excursions you should be perfectly fine. I never hear about those being robbed either though.

Me, I think the chances are a lot higher of me losing my footing and getting hurt climbing Mt Hoeizan than of being robbed wile doing it.

I've been cruising and traveling since I was a teenager and I am in my late 40's. Never missed the boat except when I got food poisoning, never got seriously hurt on a trip, never been robbed. I hope no one on this BB ever has any of those things happen to them. But I plan for the most likely event. And missing the ship and having to fly to the next stop is far more likely than being robbed.

But what do I know, maybe each of you has been robbed in a port. Maybe you have never heard of anyone having to catch a plane to catch up after missing the ship.

Wait, the reason you don't carry a passport is because you are worried it will be stolen. So you leave it on board the ship.

But if you miss the ship, you have to pay for a hotel room while you wait for the ship to get to the next port. Wait for the ship to send your passport to where you are, then get your passport to fly to the next location the ship will be at, or back home.

Now, what number do you call to talk to someone on the ship? And are you sure you are going to be late? Can you borrow a phone or get a signal while out on a boat or in between towns coming back from a tour in the jungle?

If you never leave the port, yeah, don't take your passport. If you actually go out and explore foreign countries, keep in mind you have a far greater chance of random mishap than you do of being robbed.

Ever watch those people running for the dock when the ship is about to leave? Think they called ahead to have their safe checked and items left at the port? Or do you think they expected to make it, until the ship was leaving and there was no time to call, and definitely no time for shiop's staff to go through all of that.

So, again, you worry about being robbed. I'll worry about a flat tire out on Burrell Boom Cut north of Hattieville in Belize where there is no cell signal . Or being out scuba diving and having an engine go out where there is no signal. Or riding a train back to port and missing my stop because I miscounted and am now trying to figure out where I am and how to get back. You know, the things that happen that you don't plan for.

Well, unless you live a nice safe life and never go off on your own. If you always do the ship excursions you should be perfectly fine. I never hear about those being robbed either though.

Me, I think the chances are a lot higher of me losing my footing and getting hurt climbing Mt Hoeizan than of being robbed wile doing it.

I've been cruising and traveling since I was a teenager and I am in my late 40's. Never missed the boat except when I got food poisoning, never got seriously hurt on a trip, never been robbed. I hope no one on this BB ever has any of those things happen to them. But I plan for the most likely event. And missing the ship and having to fly to the next stop is far more likely than being robbed.

But what do I know, maybe each of you has been robbed in a port. Maybe you have never heard of anyone having to catch a plane to catch up after missing the ship.

You don't need to phone ahead. If you are not back on board the security staff take your passport out of your cabin safe for you to collect. Simple.

Your travel insurance will then cover your extra expenses, assuming that you have not missed the ship through your own incompetence (think drunk).

Oh, and by the way, can you stop name dropping. I think we now all realise what a fearless traveller you are!

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it? You have misunderstood everything we have been telling you, over and over again.

I leave my passport in my safe when I don't need it. Just like I leave the bulk of my cash, extra credit cards, or any other valuables that aren't needed. Just like at home. I treat my situation abroad no different that vacationing in my home country. I follow the rules and laws in place where I go, and take only what is required to get my by for the day's outing.

If a passport is lost, the person won't be on the ship because they will be dealing with the process of getting it replaced, which unless there is an embassy or other official office in that city, it will have to be dealt with somewhere other than the port city. That means you will NOT be on the ship, but chasing down the appropriate department in the nearest city to begin the process of replacing the passport. That you don't understand this simple fact is quite mind boggling.

And, the fact that cruise ship company policies are to check for passports for people missing the ship, and giving them to the port rep, has been so well documented for some many years on these boards that to not understand this simple fact indicates a deliberate ignorance of facts to support your own obsession with being left behind without your passport.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it? You have misunderstood everything we have been telling you, over and over again.

I leave my passport in my safe when I don't need it. Just like I leave the bulk of my cash, extra credit cards, or any other valuables that aren't needed. Just like at home. I treat my situation abroad no different that vacationing in my home country. I follow the rules and laws in place where I go, and take only what is required to get my by for the day's outing.

If a passport is lost, the person won't be on the ship because they will be dealing with the process of getting it replaced, which unless there is an embassy or other official office in that city, it will have to be dealt with somewhere other than the port city. That means you will NOT be on the ship, but chasing down the appropriate department in the nearest city to begin the process of replacing the passport. That you don't understand this simple fact is quite mind boggling.

And, the fact that cruise ship company policies are to check for passports for people missing the ship, and giving them to the port rep, has been so well documented for some many years on these boards that to not understand this simple fact indicates a deliberate ignorance of facts to support your own obsession with being left behind without your passport.

So, those people who are running to the ship who are almost missing it? Where is their passport? In the safe for when they get on board or with the port authorities so now they definitely missed the ship since they have to go get it.

BTW, we were one of the last people back about the Carnival Magic since our tour bus had problems and they got us another tour bus. The 2 of us and 6 other people got on board and they started pulling everything in. Our safe was never opened in our room, and no one gave anyone a passport getting back on board.

https://***************/advice/before-you-cruise/what-to-know/what-to-do-if-you-miss-the-ship

This is important — and crucial if you’re traveling overseas. Stranded in a foreign country is one thing, but stranded with no identification is another. Airports require you to have this information to pass through security. Depending on the distance to the next destination, you may need to book a last-minute flight, so bring your passport — rather than your driver’s license — if you would need to travel independently to the next port.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/bulletin/ten-things-you-have-to-do-if-you-get-left-behind-in-port/

It’s unwise to take out your actual passport (or even your credit card if you don’t think you’ll need it) but if the worst happens it’s better to be safe than sorry. Before you leave for your cruise take photocopies of your passport and credit cards (both sides). Leave the originals in the safe in your cabin but take these copies with you.

I guess those travel sites don't know about how your passport gets taken out of your safe and delivered to you.

A quick look online showed several stories of people left behind who did not have their passports waiting for them at the dock. So I guess you can just hope that it is.

Again, you worry about being robbed, I'll worry about missing the ship. And from reading online it seems a few people miss the ship almost every cruise. How many get robbed?

Wow.. cling to the objects... This is something new.

So when people carry DL, are they considered clinging to It?

For me carrying passport while traveling abroad is the same as carrying my DL while in the States.

Of course I worry about losing either, that's why I take precautions.

Exactly right. Carrying a passport is no more stress inducing than carrying a driver's license. A passport may be required for a variety of mundane activities where identification is required. I've been asked to show mine over the years when exchanging money, renting a car/scooter, getting a cash advance on a credit card, going to a casino, making a wire transfer, entry into certain historical sites, game preserves or government buildings in some countries, booking a hotel room, road side checkpoints and in an earlier era cashing travelers cheques just to name a few.

People who claim vast travel experience and say they've never encountered a need for a passport probably haven't gone anywhere interesting or done anything worthwhile. Perhaps they are so stricken by the fear of losing their documents or that thieves are around every corner in foreign countries that they stay in their hotels for the entire trip so they can be safe and sound with their passports.

Exactly right. Carrying a passport is no more stress inducing than carrying a driver's license. A passport may be required for a variety of mundane activities where identification is required. I've been asked to show mine over the years when exchanging money, renting a car/scooter, getting a cash advance on a credit card, going to a casino, making a wire transfer, entry into certain historical sites, game preserves or government buildings in some countries, booking a hotel room, road side checkpoints and in an earlier era cashing travelers cheques just to name a few.

People who claim vast travel experience and say they've never encountered a need for a passport probably haven't gone anywhere interesting or done anything worthwhile. Perhaps they are so stricken by the fear of losing their documents or that thieves are around every corner in foreign countries that they stay in their hotels for the entire trip so they can be safe and sound with their passports.

Completely forgot I needed the passport in Japan to not pay the extra VAT taxes. Honestly I am more careful of my international DL, that thing is flimsy and easily damaged.