How are the beds?

Obits

Beds are hard as rock.

Bring your own air mattress.

I must be lucky - 15 cruises and have always had a comfortable mattress. No need to get an egg crate or air mattress like some suggest - that's like camping in a tent!

I must be lucky - 15 cruises and have always had a comfortable mattress. No need to get an egg crate or air mattress like some suggest - that's like camping in a tent!

Out of the past 35 cruises with Royal, 30 of them had comfy beds because an egg crate mattress topper was always available. It is only in the last 2 years that the beds have returned to their hard as a rock state since they discontinued use of egg crates for health reasons.

I hope you continue to be lucky and find that one elusive bed that is comfortable with no extra padding!

We have been on Anthem twice. The first time we contacted special needs for a mattress topper after final payment. We got the email and we got the topper already in place once we boarded. One topper was not enough. The second time we contacted special needs (this was for a 9/17 cruise) and asked for two mattress toppers. We got the email and both toppers were there when we boarded. They were actual toppers, not duvets, not egg crates. They helped quite a bit...but still the beds on Anthem are extremely hard.

thank you, just bought 2 of them!!! hubby has a rod in his back and needs his comfort, the old egg crates were fine but I remember the last cruise we didn't get really anything and the bed was hard

I was on the Allure of the Seas almost 6 months ago and one of my main problems was the matress was so very hard it was impossible to sleep. Nevertheless I love the Allure and will be going back but his time i will bring a matress pad.

Thanks for this! Also, for those of you who use these, do you just put them on the bed yourself under the sheet and did you let your cabin steward know?

We have been on Anthem twice. The first time we contacted special needs for a mattress topper after final payment. We got the email and we got the topper already in place once we boarded. One topper was not enough. The second time we contacted special needs (this was for a 9/17 cruise) and asked for two mattress toppers. We got the email and both toppers were there when we boarded. They were actual toppers, not duvets, not egg crates. They helped quite a bit...but still the beds on Anthem are extremely hard.

Hi Gizfish :)

I emailed Special Needs also prior to my last sailing onboard Anthem & requested assistance in obtaining a mattress topper. I received an actual mattress topper as well.

:)

The Klymit is great. We bought them specifically for our Anthem cruise (cruised her before so we knew the beds were like rocks). I can't tell you how many times we have used them...for the kids' sleepovers, other ships/hotels, etc. We've gotten our $ worth out of them!

Thanks for this! Also, for those of you who use these, do you just put them on the bed yourself under the sheet and did you let your cabin steward know?

We just returned from Vision and didn’t say a thing to the cabin steward. I inflated them, put them under the sheet and that’s where they stayed until this morning. I also wanted to mention that the specific one that is linked above is only 23 inches wide which I feared was too narrow. I bought a wider one which is why it cost more. The two of them were just about the width of the entire bed.

Hi Gizfish :)

I emailed Special Needs also prior to my last sailing onboard Anthem & requested assistance in obtaining a mattress topper. I received an actual mattress topper as well.

:)

As of January 2018, there are no more egg crate mattress toppers on Anthem. I sailed on 01/19/18.

I am curious as to the beds on the Anthem. I have bad hips and must have a soft bed. Will this be an issue? What can be done? Thanks

My Serenade bed was not only hard, but my titanium hip found a spot that felt like a metal bar.

I asked our steward to put a double layer of duvet under the bottom sheet and slept like a baby.

I had emailed a request for an egg crate and they replied it would be done.

It was a thin mattress pad.

Ask for two layers of duvet and you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also wanted to mention that the specific one that is linked above is only 23 inches wide which I feared was too narrow. I bought a wider one which is why it cost more. The two of them were just about the width of the entire bed.

The narrower ones are probably meant to be able to be used in a sleeping bag as well.

My adult daughter and I used to shake our heads at people's comments about the bad beds. We were always thrilled with them. Well, after many years, we replaced the very old mattresses in our home. On our next cruise, after we sat down on the bed, we burst out laughing and said, "boy were our matresses at home bad. These are not as comfy as the ones we have at home." It wasn't bad enough to cause us to lose sleep or to think about ordering the mattress toppers, but our new mattresses gave us a different prospective. We just try to pack light and we fly so we will be toughing it out.

I inflate it, and the steward puts it under the sheets. I have to remember to take it home, and I make that easier by putting the nylon bag in a place where I will see it when we are packing. I actually pack in in the morning as we're leaving so my wife gets a good night sleep on the last day.