Getting onboard

Dhodgson-6

We will be arriving in Seward by bus after our land part in Denali. Our itinerary says we should get there by 5:30 p.m. and the ship leaves at 8:00 p.m. Will everyone else already be aboard? Should we get dinner after we board or will they serve at that time? Sorry, never have done this so am in need of any info. anyone has! Thank you in advance :D:)

If you are arriving at 5:30, yes, virtually everyone else will be on.

As to eating, that will happen...either in the dining room, or the Lido Market, you will be instructed when you board. they may just have open seating that night....because the biggest issue here is when the lifeboat drill is. It must be done before sailing, and all other activities...including service in the restaurants...will stop during the drill.

I remember back when we went on HAL to Alaska last time we had the same situation as you. We took the land portion first and then the cruise...leaving from Seward. We got there to the ship around 5-5:30. It seemed like we were the last to board the ship, and when we got on, we found our room, our bags were there and all was well. It seemed like everybody in the world had been on that ship for a while (and had already had a few cocktails!). Right after we got to the room and saw the bags were there, they were announcing for the lifeboat drill! We went and did that, and immediately went down to the dining room for dinner around 6:30. I can't remember if I had any time to change, but I think I did. I know we felt very rushed, but chalked it up to being on the land tour (which we thoroughly enjoyed BTW) and it was just something we had to deal with. The dinner was very good and we got settled in after dinner.....

When we arrived on the train from Anchorage it was about 5:30 or so. Since we had early dinning we knew we would not be able to make it to the MDR. You may just need to plan a quick trip to the Lido or attempt As You Wish Dinning. Lucky for us a full hors d'oeuvre spread was waiting for us. That is all we needed for the night. Two hot plates, one cold, one fruit and one of sweets.

snacks.jpg

One time we did the train from Anchorage and our train didn't get into Seward until 6:45 -- we quickly checked in and rushed to lifeboat drill at 7:15.

Afterwards we went to the dining room for dinner -- it was all open seating. Quite a few of us were on that train and all eating at the same time.

Seems like HAL keeps changing the rules for Seward -- both dining and lifeboat drill.