this is why you need to be careful of power strips

shof515

not cruise related: Power strips with too many devices connected to it caused a fire at trump tower in NYC. news article: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Trump-Tower-Fire-Power-Strips-FDNY-479902533.html

this is why cruise lines is very picky with power strips and other surge protector devices. fire at sea is a bigger bigger risk then at land.

not cruise related: Power strips with too many devices connected to it caused a fire at trump tower in NYC. news article: https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Trump-Tower-Fire-Power-Strips-FDNY-479902533.html

this is why cruise lines is very picky with power strips and other surge protector devices. fire at sea is a bigger bigger risk then at land.

Were these just "power strips" (aka extension cords with multiple sockets) or actual "surge protector strips".

It's the latter than is forbidden (even a single one, never mind connecting many!) on cruise ships.

GC

and this is why we do not use them on a cruise. All we need to plug in is the curling iron or hair dryer. I have always wondered, other than maybe an electric shaver what needs to be plugged in. I don't even need a plug for my tooth brush. I either make sure it is fully charged before we leave or I buy a cheap batter operated one just for travel.

Following this. Now I'm nervous about the power strip I packed with me for my cruise leaving Saturday! We have many devices that may need charging throughout the week (phones, tablets, portable speakers) along with the use of a hair straightener and blow dryer. Praying mine doesn't get confiscated!

Following this. Now I'm nervous about the power strip I packed with me for my cruise leaving Saturday! We have many devices that may need charging throughout the week (phones, tablets, portable speakers) along with the use of a hair straightener and blow dryer. Praying mine doesn't get confiscated!

Our resident chief engineer talks about power strips often. He says that ships are wired differently than our homes and non-surge protected power strips are okay (since they're basically an extension cord with an on/off switch). He says surge-protected power strips can start a fire.

I brought a non-surge power strip on my cruise in February. I use it to charge my phone, portable speakers, camera, etc. However, they strictly enforce that every device and power strip is unplugged from the cabin outlet whenever you leave your cabin. I left my speaker plugged in directly into the ship's outlet before I went to breakfast, and when I came back my steward had unplugged it, folded the cord nicely, and set it out on the bed as a friendly reminder. Every time the steward comes in your room for making up the room or turn-down service, they check (and it is appreciated!).

and this is why we do not use them on a cruise. All we need to plug in is the curling iron or hair dryer. I have always wondered, other than maybe an electric shaver what needs to be plugged in. I don't even need a plug for my tooth brush. I either make sure it is fully charged before we leave or I buy a cheap batter operated one just for travel.

The younger generation has lots and lots of things they need to charge. Phones, tablets, laptops, cameras. The list goes on. Two plugs per room is inadequate for most of society these days.

The younger generation has lots and lots of things they need to charge. Phones, tablets, laptops, cameras. The list goes on. Two plugs per room is inadequate for most of society these days.

I used to bring a power strip for low voltage items like cameras phones a clock.

I no longer will they have torn up my bag and taped it up (2 separate times) with red tape saying liquor and the only thing besides clothes and shoes in the bag was that strip. they left it in there but I do not want my bag tore up like that

I believe a few things dropped out of the bag in the process and were not replaced nothing expensive but still.

Celebrity doesn't allow any power strips or extension cords, but NCL does allow non-surge protected ones. For our X cruise I purchased a couple of these and they work really, really well:

3d6uXlHcleq0brQwBQyq-e6pz9FHbdpaZuOEqwP5mX_yaPElzQdPqfp-VjkzTDVh-80f5kGZPDR7EPfATIlReTMiI21D_7doLa1Ct5Dv_0fdEa288DdHn6bsJWlq_2tZyO170XpUtuX8vy2d9jTacASjvDiGyEN8sxJIr4fHvsFyjTatNm3X2WzamD73XaFmg9U6CuXXystXzBJzaIcD6X7T9TPFHsRV8vYHmqciqqS_Vsx1xjYmhZnBD6zQ_WvWHvyYKseM9YlFILOax8ieLdHI0nLt1xs41PBz6oZpA3Y5kMi38UzMtFLMIN68qp3Dp5WUehMFeHlfr7Iq4h9Fb7XpVnxxJTQrcJmnEJxmstz4Xu4osZShB9CXK8xn11SKF_zs8GRg3RUjxlUCoBqN9W5cAu_HfsSx-Uig7gJB3TibFm3XsUpS-hhwRdVkiWtXIVcxSwcdPLh_ijJlMBsaV6I9ocIkCTC0AYeqkVvJ7gzyfkEnkYuDzXwqUeQ2TNrPli6uPFNFGoGudYq0PnruJbJhhRBnzxqx5WAu3vmow49eTwiJvRTAQMCpq2HoTHBO8cEDvpivxKpvcaiP6Goz4Hz7wrX45Nvf3WSjWVt1do_znOMrgKRnltoqkrTnVxexsml2OfnoyfXOumO3KhCrxahA0pyywzB-=w238-h353-no

Because it's using the euro-style plug we still have our US style plug available for a hair dryer, etc.

That is a great idea!

Celebrity doesn't allow any power strips or extension cords, but NCL does allow non-surge protected ones. For our X cruise I purchased a couple of these and they work really, really well:

3d6uXlHcleq0brQwBQyq-e6pz9FHbdpaZuOEqwP5mX_yaPElzQdPqfp-VjkzTDVh-80f5kGZPDR7EPfATIlReTMiI21D_7doLa1Ct5Dv_0fdEa288DdHn6bsJWlq_2tZyO170XpUtuX8vy2d9jTacASjvDiGyEN8sxJIr4fHvsFyjTatNm3X2WzamD73XaFmg9U6CuXXystXzBJzaIcD6X7T9TPFHsRV8vYHmqciqqS_Vsx1xjYmhZnBD6zQ_WvWHvyYKseM9YlFILOax8ieLdHI0nLt1xs41PBz6oZpA3Y5kMi38UzMtFLMIN68qp3Dp5WUehMFeHlfr7Iq4h9Fb7XpVnxxJTQrcJmnEJxmstz4Xu4osZShB9CXK8xn11SKF_zs8GRg3RUjxlUCoBqN9W5cAu_HfsSx-Uig7gJB3TibFm3XsUpS-hhwRdVkiWtXIVcxSwcdPLh_ijJlMBsaV6I9ocIkCTC0AYeqkVvJ7gzyfkEnkYuDzXwqUeQ2TNrPli6uPFNFGoGudYq0PnruJbJhhRBnzxqx5WAu3vmow49eTwiJvRTAQMCpq2HoTHBO8cEDvpivxKpvcaiP6Goz4Hz7wrX45Nvf3WSjWVt1do_znOMrgKRnltoqkrTnVxexsml2OfnoyfXOumO3KhCrxahA0pyywzB-=w238-h353-no

Because it's using the euro-style plug we still have our US style plug available for a hair dryer, etc.