Room Service Charge??

Clearly we disagree philosophically. I see RCCL cutting as many corners as it can and I find it upsetting. Where do they stop? A cruise used to be a fabulous vacation experience. Unfortunately it’s starting to go the route of commercial airlines- cram on as many people as possible, cut service and benefits, and nickel and dime for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Almost all cruise lines have added extra costs. It keeps Cruise cost down, it's even cheaper to sail now then 30 years ago... Besides cheaper to cruise the biggest changes Royal has done is use to be no families/kids. Back then all cruising was called the "Newlywed and Nearly Dead". Also was very Formal/Semi Formal experience every nite. Now more Family friendly...

Almost all cruise lines have added extra costs. It keeps Cruise cost down, it's even cheaper to sail now then 30 years ago... Besides cheaper to cruise the biggest changes Royal has done is use to be no families/kids. Back then all cruising was called the "Newlywed and Nearly Dead". Also was very Formal/Semi Formal experience every nite. Now more Family friendly...

It’s cheaper in more ways than financial.

Are you seriously saying everyone should tip on top of the fee and service charge? When a company adds a service charge, my moral obligation to add a tip goes away.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I add a tip in a hotel when they add a service charge that is usually $2 or $3 at most. But $7.95 or whatever it ends up being if they add 18% on top of that is more than enough for the late afternoon snack for two that I may order.

It’s cheaper in more ways than financial.

1988 was $3600+ for 7n deck 2 tiny port hole 122sq ft cabin, Royal cruise ships didn't have balconies. This Oct doing a 12n Serenade BOS/FLL Repo in a Balcony cabin, Aft/Corner 8168, before my C&A discount price only $2968... In 30+ yrs I've seen what's come and gone on Royal. I can't Golf or Skeet Shoot off the Fan Tail anymore, but It's still a better product now...

Charters can do anything they want. I believe Royal takes some advantage to make more $$$

This charter, was it Brilliance in December? HSR?

No, it was the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise on the Indy, back in February. (The cruise is actually named for the Majesty, which was the original ship used for the first five sailings; the Indy is twice as large. :) )

But by the same token, I am a solo cruiser, why should my Cruise Fare pay for all of the Programs for Kids..See how this Argument turns in to a Slipery Slope..

Mike

Mike you are sooo right! I don't appreciate music, why am I paying for bands? I never go in a pool, why do I pay for those? Ah the slippery slope concept.

And then they came for me.....

George in NY

But by the same token, I am a solo cruiser, why should my Cruise Fare pay for all of the Programs for Kids..See how this Argument turns in to a Slipery Slope..

Mike

Very true. People say they don't mind the room service charge because they don't pay it if they don't use it. But there's lots of things on a cruise that different people use and don't use. Where does the a-la-carte pricing end?

I don't agree.

I think that this is a way for RCI to control room service. Even people here on CC admitted to ordering room service for one plate of cookies.

Before this, reports were of over an hour to get room service. Now, it seems it comes much more quickly.

That's just being plain lazy. The workers have better things to do.

That's just being plain lazy. The workers have better things to do.
We always got a phone call a few minutes before our breakfasts arrived.

The hot choice is much better now that it is charged.

Its worth it to us to just sit on the balcony eating breakfast in our dressing gowns.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

We always got a phone call a few minutes before our breakfasts arrived.

The hot choice is much better now that it is charged.

Its worth it to us to just sit on the balcony eating breakfast in our dressing gowns.

^^^^ That except for the part about the gowns :D

Had breakfast delivered to my cabin a couple of times. To me the quality of the food was better than that in the windjammer plus not having to try to find a seat (sail solo) and navigate all the people so for me it was well worth the service charge.

Looking forward to my first breakfast on the balcony on my next cruise in a few months.

^^^^ That except for the part about the gowns :D

Had breakfast delivered to my cabin a couple of times. To me the quality of the food was better than that in the windjammer plus not having to try to find a seat (sail solo) and navigate all the people so for me it was well worth the service charge.

Looking forward to my first breakfast on the balcony on my next cruise in a few months.

We call the C&A robes dressing gowns in the UK.

I think I asked this before on a different thread, but if we order room service in our room and have the drink package, can we get mimosas with breakfast?

Thr drink packages do not cover drinks from room service.

One could make a strong argument it is actually their raison d'etre. Less demand = less workers.

That argument has come and gone on other threads and it's just fake. Most of the crew doing room service are doing it for tips and they already have a regular job on the ship such as the mdr or SR's, WJ, etc.

Are you charged “extra” for drinks with room service or just the room service charge?

Room service charge is for hot food at breakfast,tea,orange juice and coffee are included but alcoholic drinks are charged at bar prices.