Room Service Charge??

I wasn’t aware one gets charged and additional 18% on top of the service charge of $7.95. We get Room Service for Free but I tipped $5 each time. The servers seemed very happy to deliver our orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was some confusion also with gratuitys in Speciality restaurants included in the price.

Regardless i give $10 tip on average in Speciality restaurants and a daily $3 tip to room service when they bring our hot breakfasts.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I have to agree with you. Especially about fares being the cheapest, ever. 1982 I paid $500 for a quad cabin. A bunch of us from work cruised to Bermuda out of Boston. Me and another woman from work were put into a quad (4 bunks) with 2 women we'd never met! That was Carnival Mardi Gras.

1985 (?) I did a 3 day land/4 day cruise or 4 day land/3 day cruise (don't remember exactly), for not much over $500. Me & 27 of my closest friends. Actually, it was my friend whose dad owned a travel agency. Her friends, her brother, his friends, their friends, and so on and so on.

In 1988 a 7 nite cruise on Sovereign for the 2 of us was over $3600 for a tiny deck 2 cabin with a tiny port hole... Cruising is cheaper now then 30 years ago, not even adding inflation or "Extra Fees" into it...

In 1988 a 7 nite cruise on Sovereign for the 2 of us was over $3600 for a tiny deck 2 cabin with a tiny port hole... Cruising is cheaper now then 30 years ago, not even adding inflation or "Extra Fees" into it...

Totally agree. My first cruise (circa 1990) took a much bigger bite out of my paycheck for a tiny cabin that I swear was below the crew’s cabins than our usual JS or above does now.

There was some confusion also with gratuitys in Speciality restaurants included in the price.

Regardless i give $10 tip on average in Speciality restaurants and a daily $3 tip to room service when they bring our hot breakfasts.

I am aware of the change to Speciality Dinning. We discovered that on MJ last July. Advertised price no longer includes gratuities.

Not sure how Room Service charge Works. It seems odd to me that gratuity would be part of the charge for those in anything less than GS but no gratuity charged for those that get it free. That makes me believe any gratuity is over and beyond the service charge.

From Royal FAQ page

Room service is available any time of the day or night - simply order from the room service menu located in your stateroom/suite (service charge of $7.95* applies). An 18% gratuity is additional and will automatically be added to your check. Our new room service menu features several upgraded selections including a Wagyu Beef Hamburger, Philly Cheesesteak and Grilled Salmon with Cucumber Mint Yogurt and Roasted Asparagus.

*Service charge subject to change without notice.

So who actually receives the $7.95 service charge? From the prospective of the customer, it is outrageous to expect someone to pay $7.95 for a service that should be free AND then to expect a tip on top. Eliminate the service charge and I’ll gladly tip.

Where is room service free? What hotel?

Hotels charge higher prices for room service food, PLUS a service fee which is a percentage of the cost, PLUS some add a gratuity.

And that $3600 was a bigger chunk out of your annual income that it would be now.

Where is room service free? What hotel?

Hotels charge higher prices for room service food, PLUS a service fee which is a percentage of the cost, PLUS some add a gratuity.

But in a hotel, food usually is not included. On a cruise, it is... was

Included yes, but delivery to you personally in your cabin is not. Do they bring you food at the pool? The theater?

Look, room service used to be included. Now it’s not. Bad move on rccl’s decision.

Look, room service used to be included. Now it’s not. Bad move on rccl’s decision.

The money to do that has to come from some where. I really don't want to subsidize others that don't want to leave their cabin. I actually would rather then do this personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

The money to do that has to come from some where. I really don't want to subsidize others that don't want to leave their cabin. I actually would rather then do this personally.

Well they used to have the money. Bet they raised their CEO’s pay to cut it...

Well they used to have the money. Bet they raised their CEO’s pay to cut it...

So, in your professional life, would you give up raises so that 3% of customers stop complaining in an internet forum, even though your company keeps selling out of everything?

You can't take any one thing that a company like this does and evaluate it in a bubble. You have to take the whole picture, and then decide if the total package is a good enough value to you too buy it. If the only thing that matters to you is the $8 total cost of room service, then other lines may be better suited for you, but only you can decide that. Every change that a company makes, and every decision they make is based on how to make more money for their share holders. If enough people stop cruising with them due to an $8 room service charge, then they will reverse the decision, but so far, it does not seem to matter.

So, in your professional life, would you give up raises so that 3% of customers stop complaining in an internet forum, even though your company keeps selling out of everything?

You can't take any one thing that a company like this does and evaluate it in a bubble. You have to take the whole picture, and then decide if the total package is a good enough value to you too buy it. If the only thing that matters to you is the $8 total cost of room service, then other lines may be better suited for you, but only you can decide that. Every change that a company makes, and every decision they make is based on how to make more money for their share holders. If enough people stop cruising with them due to an $8 room service charge, then they will reverse the decision, but so far, it does not seem to matter.

Clearly we disagree philosophically. I see RCCL cutting as many corners as it can and I find it upsetting. Where do they stop? A cruise used to be a fabulous vacation experience. Unfortunately it’s starting to go the route of commercial airlines- cram on as many people as possible, cut service and benefits, and nickel and dime for everything.

Clearly we disagree philosophically. I see RCCL cutting as many corners as it can and I find it upsetting. Where do they stop? A cruise used to be a fabulous vacation experience. Unfortunately it’s starting to go the route of commercial airlines- cram on as many people as possible, cut service and benefits, and nickel and dime for everything.

Then choose another vacation option. It is that simple. Apparently enough people still think cruises are a value, and offer what is wanted, especially on royal cause they are not sailing empty.

There are lines where you will get the old school cruise experience, but you pay for that, either with missing lots of amenities or paying a higher price. Only you can decide whether that is the right decision for you.

Personally I don't want to pay more for my cruise so that others can get out of the $8 room service fee, as I have never and probably will never use it. If I decide to use it, then the $8 will not sway my decision much at all. I would rather have faster service with better for for$8, the the opposite.

Edited by rukkian

Then choose another vacation option. It is that simple. Apparently enough people still think cruises are a value, and offer what is wanted, especially on royal cause they are not sailing empty.

There are lines where you will get the old school cruise experience, but you pay for that, either with missing lots of amenities or paying a higher price. Only you can decide whether that is the right decision for you.

Personally I don't want to pay more for my cruise so that others can get out of the $8 room service fee, as I have never and probably will never use it. If I decide to use it, then the $8 will not sway my decision much at all. I would rather have faster service with better for for$8, the the opposite.

That's a pretty extreme answer. There's no reason Royal could not offer a complimentary section of the menu like Carnival does.

Your cruise price did not go down because of this charge.

If you don't use it, believing service is faster or food better because of the charge is a fallacy.

That's a pretty extreme answer. There's no reason Royal could not offer a complimentary section of the menu like Carnival does.

Your cruise price did not go down because of this charge.

If you don't use it, believing service is faster or food better because of the charge is a fallacy.

There still is a free section at breakfast. There is no way either we can prove the cost went down due to this, or that it made no difference, as prices are not set and constantly change, but if they are not making money from this, they have to make that money somewhere, it is pretty simple.

For Royal, they have decided that free room service is not what brings people on the ships. They have big beautiful ships with a lot to do what what many (myself included at this point) feel is a good value for the money. Paying people to take constant orders to rooms costs money (hiring more people), or reducing service in other areas.

My niece went on Carnival and knew it was free, so she would order room service 3-4 times a day sometimes just for a cup of hot chocolate or a cookie. There was no reason she could not have just gone and got one other than it was free. Our first cruise on Jewel last year it was still free, and we saw dishes up and down the halls, some rooms seemed to do it all day everyday. This all costs somebody somewhere.

I fully understand that for some this will mean no more Royal, and I am sure that Royal knows that as well. They are banking on the fact that as a whole (which is how you have to look at it), that enough people find value in other things they bring to equal it out. My whole point is that just looking at any one change in a bubble (not looking at the cruise as a whole) does nobody any good. You have to decide what is important for your vacation, simple as that.

I know that some people are pessimistic and love to complain about any change, no matter what. I am more of an realist, and try to not get too excited about changes, whether I think they are good or bad.

I realize that this convo will go nowhere, so will bow out and let people just gripe.

Good luck on your future vacation plans.

Its all about

Supply and Demand.

At the moment the demand is strong so they can do what they want with their captive audience.

Contrary to popular belief, a public-traded company's only fiduciary responsibility is to its shareholders. RCCL has been doing quite well (quote from 2017):

"We have tripled our earnings, delivered four consecutive years of double-digit earnings growth, grown the dividends by five times and now exceeded $6 in [adjusted] earnings per share," Fain said. "These financial results are extraordinary."

So they are doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Now if the nickle and diming gets to the point where people get turned off and stop cruising and profits decrease, then you have a point. But apparently we're not there yet.

Once you’re on the ship you’re pretty captive...

You knew or should have known about the charges prior to getting on the ship. Again, if it so offends you perhaps it’s time for you to vacation elsewhere.