Steakhouse and El Capitano Question

4olivers

We set sail this Saturday! We have tried to make reservations at both restaurants and o my got confirmation from the Italian.

Question: what’s NOT TO MISS at these restaurants.

What’s your favorite night on the ship to eat at these vs MDR?

We set sail this Saturday! We have tried to make reservations at both restaurants and o my got confirmation from the Italian.

Any of the steaks at the steakhouse are great, as well as the lobster. I have never had anything less than delicious there - so it would be impossible to pick just one or two things.

Cucina has changed there menu and we have not had the new menu, but many of the items are still the same. They removed the steak which was the one good dish we found there. There is nothing here "not to be missed" IMHO. But, it is worth a try to see what you think for yourselves. Jijis however, is another matter and have never had anything bad there.

Unless things have recently changed, you cannot make reservations prior to your cruise for the Italian restaurant. You have to wait until you are on the ship. Although we haven't yet eaten at the Cucina Del Capitano (will be doing so on our next cruise), I can recommend a couple of choices at the steakhouse. The surf & turf is very good, and the sea bass is excellent! They're my two favorites, and I always have a hard time trying to decide between the two. We typically make our reservation for the first night. Not so much for the free bottle of wine, but because it's usually less busy on the first night, especially if you go around 6:00 p.m.

We made our reservations for Cucina 10 months ago, (our cruise is this Friday),so on some ships they do take reservations early. There was an email link on Carnival's page under our booking where we could request early reservations. It might only be on certain ships, but you should check your booking page.

Unless things have recently changed, you cannot make reservations prior to your cruise for the Italian restaurant. You have to wait until you are on the ship. Although we haven't yet eaten at the Cucina Del Capitano (will be doing so on our next cruise), I can recommend a couple of choices at the steakhouse. The surf & turf is very good, and the sea bass is excellent! They're my two favorites, and I always have a hard time trying to decide between the two. We typically make our reservation for the first night. Not so much for the free bottle of wine, but because it's usually less busy on the first night, especially if you go around 6:00 p.m.

We made our reservations for Cucina 10 months ago, (our cruise is this Friday),so on some ships they do take reservations early. There was an email link on Carnival's page under our booking where we could request early reservations. It might only be on certain ships, but you should check your booking page.

I just checked, and..... Surprise, surprise, surprise! (as Gomer would say). I see that we can make reservations for the Cucina del Capitano. On Carnival's web site, it says that reservations aren't required, but are recommended. So, I guess we'll have to decide which night we want to have Italian and make a reservation.

We enjoyed the Italian restaurant on the Magic in Feb and i would say order the Caesar salad - the presentation is quite unique. Also the arancini presentation has changed with the new menu. We adopted the chef on our B2B last year and she sent out quite a few 'off menu' items, but anything with shrimp was good. I liked that they changed the bread to a garlicy delight..

Yes you can make reservations, we did for our upcoming cruise.

Yes you can make reservations, we did for our upcoming cruise.

Yes, you can now make reservations for specialty restaurants online, right in your Manage my cruise. They e-mail you back within 48 hours. This includes the Chef's Table.

I amended myself. See post #6.

We were on the Sunshine recently. We made reservations in advance online, we dined the first night and were told they no longer do the free bottle of wine, and make sure spaghetti with Captain's sauce is one of your sides! We love that stuff :D

We enjoyed the Italian restaurant on the Magic in Feb and i would say order the Caesar salad - the presentation is quite unique. Also the arancini presentation has changed with the new menu. We adopted the chef on our B2B last year and she sent out quite a few 'off menu' items, but anything with shrimp was good. I liked that they changed the bread to a garlicy delight..
Have not been to Capitano since our Breeze cruise over 5 years ago. Loved the arancini, so what has changed about it and what was so unique about the caesar presentation?

Cucina del Capitano: The Brasato Al Barolo (braised short ribs) were the best meal I have had on any cruise line on my Sunshine cruise last year. Everytime I have short ribs, I crave those and have found nothing like that meal.
The short ribs like you had and like we had five years ago are no longer on the new menu. The link is attached.http://cruising.news/carnival-rolling-out-new-menus-for-steakhouse-and-cucina-del-capitano/