Changes to availability of completing the online check-in

lizardhowson

Each person doesn't do check in. Only a single person for the cabin. Say the average cabin has 3 people in it. The 25,000 you mentioned is now down to 8,500 trying to check in. Big difference.

The number of cabins would be one-half of the passenger capacity at double occupancy.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

The scenario you described is that a person has FTTF, then cancels at the 90-day mark. Someone else buys it at that point. Carnival lost the purchase, then regained the purchase. They break even. Unless you mean the person cancelling bought it at the old, lower price and the person who bought it later is buying it at the higher price. Yeah, Carnival benefits if that happens, but eventually everyone who buys FTTF will be paying the new price.

No, I mean not letting people picking boarding times until 90 days will cause an increase in demand for FTTP prior to then, as "insurance" to being able to board the ship early, and get that extra lunch.

More demand for FTTF means they can charge higher prices and still sell out.

Personally, I do not think this was a motivational factor for the check in date change. I was responding to the person who said there was not any monetary advantage to the check in date change. While I don't think it at all likely to be a factor, there could be monetary gain for Carnival.

I noticed something interesting this evening on the Carnival web site. If you have not yet checked in online and your check-in availability date is in the future, if you login to the site there might be a "Check-in for your Cruise" (or some similar verbiage) selection on the home page (there was on ours). If you click on that, it will allow you to proceed to complete the online check-in - I just did it to see if it works and it did. I'm guessing it's some sort of hole in the Carnival web site that allows a backdoor way of checking in even though your official check-in date may be months away.

Edited by joepeka

The number of cabins would be one-half of the passenger capacity at double occupancy.

Sent from my eye phone using a three legged yak FFS

You're assuming only 2 people per cabin for every cabin on the ship. Many cabins have families of 4 and some cabins on some ships can hold 5 in a cabin. So I used 3 per cabin as an average.

I noticed something interesting this evening on the Carnival web site. If you have not yet checked in online and your check-in availability date is in the future, if you login to the site there should be a "Check-in for your Cruise" (or some similar verbiage) selection on the home page. If you click on that, it will allow you to proceed to complete the online check-in - I just did it to see if it works and it did. I'm guessing it's some sort of hole in the Carnival web site that allows a backdoor way of checking in even though your official check-in date may be months away.

I found a different loophole, but I am going to keep that one to myself. I want the loophole to continue working.

I found a different loophole, but I am going to keep that one to myself. I want the loophole to continue working.

Understood. I just wanted as many people as wanted to slip through the loophole I found. I guess Carnival's offshored web site support has some quality issues. ;)

I noticed something interesting this evening on the Carnival web site. If you have not yet checked in online and your check-in availability date is in the future, if you login to the site there might be a "Check-in for your Cruise" (or some similar verbiage) selection on the home page (there was on ours). If you click on that, it will allow you to proceed to complete the online check-in - I just did it to see if it works and it did. I'm guessing it's some sort of hole in the Carnival web site that allows a backdoor way of checking in even though your official check-in date may be months away.

Carnival IT has always had some issues with ensuring changes are working properly before releasing them. Rest assured, they will be found (because SOMEONE will spill the beans) and eventually be fixed.

Carnival IT has always had some issues with ensuring changes are working properly before releasing them. Rest assured, they will be found (because SOMEONE will spill the beans) and eventually be fixed.

True but until it's fixed, "let loose the hounds!" :D

True but until it's fixed, "let loose the hounds!" :D

For those that use the hole(s) to go ahead and input their data, it will be interesting to see if the system holds that data or will it need to be reinputed again at the 90 day mark. ;)

The other loophole is go to the print my docs page. It has a link that leads to online check in for my June 2019 cruise. Why people get in an uproar I don't know because 90 days is plenty of time to check in. Must be the OCD crowd that worries about this mundane experience of checking in so far in advance ;p

A breach can happen less than 90 days out.

Our personal information is already in our profiles. Changing the check-in window doesn't provide any more protection for that data than before. Also, what about our payment information and passport numbers from previous cruises?

I thought perhaps carnival was trying to save some money with this feature.

If the OLC is part of a secure encrypted database, and everyone has access to input their info from the time the sailing opens for bookings, That’s a lot of info being stored for a very long time, unnecessarily. The “data storage mechanism would need to be of a certain size to accommodate all this data.

As the carnival fleet grows, they would need larger and larger storage needs. If they limit the amt of time this data must be stored, then the required “storage facility” could be smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For me the backdoor works for a booking # where check-in wasn't started before this change. My other booking for the same cruise had most of check-in completed and the backdoor doesn't show the check-in link. Oh well I'll wait until 90 days. I'm just glad my data doesn't purge as it makes checking in much quicker.