Changes to availability of completing the online check-in

lizardhowson

Cutback? Nah. It is an enhancement. One "explanation"

As you have seen from our past communications, from time to time, we have to inform guests of the need to push back their pre-selected arrival appointment for a variety of operational reasons. In order to limit this “negative surprise”, a new enhancement will be rolled out Tuesday that makes online check-in (OLC) available 90 days prior to sailing.

Our research indicates the vast majority of guests complete their OLC within this window anyways. However, there is a small number of guests who like to plan way ahead, that may visit our web site outside of 90 days to complete their OLC and will need to come back when it opens.

Guests who have already completed their OLC for a sailing more than 90 days out, will have their information stored.

1f453.png1f453.png1f453.png1f453.png1f453.png1f453.png

Looks like it has changed to 90 days pre-cruise. My November 2018 cruise now lists check-in available 19 Aug 2018. I guess this means you can't select a port check-in time until then. If you are not P or D this would be a big issue for planning purposes as you would not be able to pre-book private transfers to the port until 90 days out. Another cutback by Carnival!!! With limited transfer times for popular transportation companies this would be a big disappointment and probably a cost increase as you might not be able to use the transportation company you want. Thanks Carnival for taking more away from us!

• Online Check-In (Available Aug 19, 2018)

Helping to keep your personal info safe from hackers can hardly be called a cutback by any stretch of the imagination. :rolleyes:

Looks like it has changed to 90 days pre-cruise. My November 2018 cruise now lists check-in available 19 Aug 2018. I guess this means you can't select a port check-in time until then. If you are not P or D this would be a big issue for planning purposes as you would not be able to pre-book private transfers to the port until 90 days out. Another cutback by Carnival!!! With limited transfer times for popular transportation companies this would be a big disappointment and probably a cost increase as you might not be able to use the transportation company you want. Thanks Carnival for taking more away from us!

• Online Check-In (Available Aug 19, 2018)

Really, cutback? :rolleyes: Perhaps you need to look at going to another cruise line? Carnival took nothing away.

Really, cutback? :rolleyes: Perhaps you need to look at going to another cruise line? Carnival took nothing away.

They took away the ability to check in immediately after booking. It may not be a cutback, but they did take something away. It is an inconvenience to those that book more than 90 days out and like to take care of things right away.

This could also cause their site to slow down with a bunch of people potentially checking in at the same time for all of the cruises with the same sail date.

They took away the ability to check in immediately after booking. It may not be a cutback, but they did take something away. It is an inconvenience to those that book more than 90 days out and like to take care of things right away.

This could also cause their site to slow down with a bunch of people potentially checking in at the same time for all of the cruises with the same sail date.

That thought occurred to me as well. Their explanation of trying to avoid changing people's previously chosen arrival appointment time due to operational considerations does make sense (though I'm not sure how it relates to online check-in but maybe I'm missing some point there). However, it seems like allowing online check-in to be accomplished on a more or less leisurely basis between booking and sail date has advantages and squeezing it into a 90 day window may cause issues.

Helping to keep your personal info safe from hackers can hardly be called a cutback by any stretch of the imagination. :rolleyes:

This has occurred to me. In case of a data breach, it would reduce the number of people impacted by a breach. It might make Carnival a less attractive target.

This has occurred to me. In case of a data breach, it would reduce the number of people impacted by a breach. It might make Carnival a less attractive target.

A breach can happen less than 90 days out.

Our personal information is already in our profiles. Changing the check-in window doesn't provide any more protection for that data than before. Also, what about our payment information and passport numbers from previous cruises?

So DHS is telling Carnival when they can allow people to pick a check-in time. Nah, never.

Carnival could easily still let you pick a check-in time without filling out all the security info....Just like it was doing.

Many people will be unable to figure transportation out until 90 days which could be an inconvice and cause a price increase in transportation.

When they take something away it is a cutback or in some minds it's a enhancement. :eek:

If you cruised on Carnival before they have all the information already. A nerd should no that, right?

So maybe you should go to another cruise line like RCCL.........oh wait, can't check in more than 90 days out on their website either. :rolleyes:

Computer Nerd,

There is no need for that attitude with me. If you had bothered to read my signature, you would have noticed that I only cruise with Carnival. I clearly have no intentions of cruising with RCCL. I said this change was an inconvenience. You assumed it was a dealbreaker.

I also pointed out an obvious possible problem that could result from this change. When alot of people are all on a site at the same time, that site tends to slow down or crash.

So I decided to check mine and it has changed as well. Was waiting to receive our renewal passports to check in and received them a couple days ago. Went to Carnival website to "check in" and I now have to wait until June, 90 days out. I had already chosen my arrival time, I wonder if that will stay in the system. Guess I will wait until June to find out;). Carnival does not keep prior cruise "check in" information in their system, (as I was told by my PVP). Which is a good thing, as our passport #'s changed when renewed. I did not read all the posts, but I do not understand why this change would affect a passenger's transportation cost. We usually book our cruise a month or so out, but had to work with our son's schedule for this one. So I do not know if we paid more for tranfers when flying into a port by booking a few weeks out.

One more thing.... it is still allowing passengers to book shore excursions, which in the "old days" wasn't allowed until cruise was paid in full. Which made sense to me, as some people have to cancel their trip before final pay date and in turn would have to cancel the excursions booked and paid for. Which is how people can get FTTF 70 days out :D

A breach can happen less than 90 days out.

Our personal information is already in our profiles. Changing the check-in window doesn't provide any more protection for that data than before. Also, what about our payment information and passport numbers from previous cruises?

So?

Some personal information is in the profile. But not passport or credit card information. They don't store that between cruises. You have to fill it out every time. Limiting the window the information is stored limits the risk.

Now only 90 days of information is at risk, worst case.

A nerd should "know" that (we also know how to spell and also know that databases get purged). Nerds know lots of things. ;)

Purged really? Not a chance Nerd! Why does my Name, DOB, Address, Citizenship, Country of Residence, Phone number, etc... appear everytime I go into my booking and when I check-in online? Carnival knows my info throughout the entire booking process, not just after check-in. All data is NOT purged from cruise to cruise. Years ago Carnival didn't transfer data between bookings and everytime you checked-in online you had to enter everything. But for years most data is retained because the data is NOT purged. Maybe you have only ever cruised Carnival once?

Thanks for the spelling lesson Mr perfect! Now go take a lesson in manners and how Carnival does retain data. Thanks Turd, sorry another spelling error.

Edited by skiingj

Probably not any longer ...

If you read the thread & replies, you will see for many people's cruises, Carnival first changed it to 12 months out, then in the last 24 hours amended it to 3 months out. Carnival also just added the 3 months out time frame to their FAQ section.

I read the replies thank you. Most people posting before me were saying a year. All I stated was what I found on my booking. Apparently that offended you or you didn't understand.

I just paid off my Dec. 2018 cruise and went to check documents after reading this thread. Already had check in complete but can no longer edit it ( no need to edit so not an issue ). The boarding passes and luggage tags can be printed and both have changed appearance significantly. We did not have a check in time selected yet but boarding passes have priority sign so it's irrelevant to us.

Computer Nerd,

There is no need for that attitude with me. If you had bothered to read my signature, you would have noticed that I only cruise with Carnival. I clearly have no intentions of cruising with RCCL. I said this change was an inconvenience. You assumed it was a dealbreaker.

I also pointed out an obvious possible problem that could result from this change. When alot of people are all on a site at the same time, that site tends to slow down or crash.

Think about it. Do you actually think that the system will "crash" at a 90 day starting time? Look at how many cruise ships 90 day start time will occur at the same time. You are only talking about a few thousand people. That change was done for a reason. Does one think that Carnival gains anything from this change? Why is it an inconvenience? You will be taking the same action, just a little later.

I can think of one way Carnival may benefit from this change.

At the 90 day mark, cruises will be mostly booked, and everyone will be trying to get that early arrival time all at once. This new frenzy could drive up the demand for FTTF (which of course would be sold out by 90 day mark).

Perhaps some with FTTF may cancel if they are able to get an early arrival time. Most will figure since they have the FTTF, they won't bother trying for an early arrival time. And for those that do cancel, there will be someone with a later arrival time who will be stalking at 90 days to try and grab one of those cancellations.

Perhaps the recent price increase for FTTF was in anticipation that the 90 day check in was coming down the pipes.

Think about it. Do you actually think that the system will "crash" at a 90 day starting time? Look at how many cruise ships 90 day start time will occur at the same time. You are only talking about a few thousand people. That change was done for a reason. Does one think that Carnival gains anything from this change? Why is it an inconvenience? You will be taking the same action, just a little later.

It is an inconvenience to those that like to get things taken care of right away.

Do I think it will crash? Not likely.

Do I think everyone will try to check in at the same time? No.

Do I think it might slow down? Quite possible. There is more than one ship setting sail each day. The parts of the Carnival site that you have to log into go down even when there aren't alot of people checking in at once. There will still be more traffic in a 90 day period which will cause more work for Carnival's IT infrastructure than if that traffic was spread out over two years.

The Dream(3,646/4,633), Ecstasy(2,056/2,675), Fascination(2,056/2,675), Imagination(2,056/2,697), Liberty(2,974/3,756), Magic(3,690/4,724), Miracle(2,124/2,680), Sunshine(3,002/3,758), and the Vista(3,934/4,977) are all setting sail on 2/10/19.

At double occupancy, that is 25,538 people able to check in at the same time. At full occupancy, that is 32,575 people able to check in at the same time. For whatever reason, the Conquest(2,980/3,756) 2/10/19 sailing isn't available to book. If you add its capacity, that brings the totals to 28,518 and 36,351. Several other ships are setting sail on 2/9/19 and 2/11/19. That is potentially alot of people in three days.

Edited by Tiger0613

I can think of one way Carnival may benefit from this change.

At the 90 day mark' date=' cruises will be mostly booked, and everyone will be trying to get that early arrival time all at once. This new frenzy could drive up the demand for FTTF (which of course would be sold out by 90 day mark).

Perhaps some with FTTF may cancel if they are able to get an early arrival time. Most will figure since they have the FTTF, they won't bother trying for an early arrival time. And for those that do cancel, there will be someone with a later arrival time who will be stalking at 90 days to try and grab one of those cancellations.

Perhaps the recent price increase for FTTF was in anticipation that the 90 day check in was coming down the pipes.[/quote']The scenario you described is that a person has FTTF, then cancels at the 90-day mark. Someone else buys it at that point. Carnival lost the purchase, then regained the purchase. They break even. Unless you mean the person cancelling bought it at the old, lower price and the person who bought it later is buying it at the higher price. Yeah, Carnival benefits if that happens, but eventually everyone who buys FTTF will be paying the new price.

Computer Nerd,

First, I have sig lines turned off so I have no idea who you sail with. (nor do I care).

Second, if you've only sailed with Carnival it's high time you started sleeping around. Many other cruise lines offer things Carnival doesn't and vice versa. I am never loyal to any business, only my wallet.

Third, unless you are my mother (you are not), I'll have any kind of attitude I wish to have with you. Stop whining "cutback" every time Carnival changes something. It's a security feature. Better security usually causes an inconvenience for someone but most of us just go with the flow without whining about it.

Purged really? Not a chance Nerd! Why does my Name, DOB, Address, Citizenship, Country of Residence, Phone number, etc... appear everytime I go into my booking and when I check-in online? Carnival knows my info throughout the entire booking process, not just after check-in. All data is NOT purged from cruise to cruise. Years ago Carnival didn't transfer data between bookings and everytime you checked-in online you had to enter everything. But for years most data is retained because the data is NOT purged. Maybe you have only ever cruised Carnival once?

Thanks for the spelling lesson Mr perfect! Now go take a lesson in manners and how Carnival does retain data. Thanks Turd, sorry another spelling error.

Carnival has multiple databases. Certain databases (such as CC info, passport info, and others) get purged. Some don't. Of course they could purge ever database after a cruise and make you create a new account and type in ALL of your info every single time but that info probably isn't considered sensitive enough to warrant such an extreme action.

I have excellent manners. I just reserve them for people who deserve them. Too bad you didn't make the list. ;)

It is an inconvenience to those that like to get things taken care of right away.

Do I think it will crash? Not likely.

Do I think everyone will try to check in at the same time? No.

Do I think it might slow down? Quite possible. There is more than one ship setting sail each day. The parts of the Carnival site that you have to log into go down even when there aren't alot of people checking in at once. There will still be more traffic in a 90 day period which will cause more work for Carnival's IT infrastructure than if that traffic was spread out over two years.

The Dream(3,646/4,633), Ecstasy(2,056/2,675), Fascination(2,056/2,675), Imagination(2,056/2,697), Liberty(2,974/3,756), Magic(3,690/4,724), Miracle(2,124/2,680), Sunshine(3,002/3,758), and the Vista(3,934/4,977) are all setting sail on 2/10/19.

At double occupancy, that is 25,538 people able to check in at the same time. At full occupancy, that is 32,575 people able to check in at the same time. For whatever reason, the Conquest(2,980/3,756) 2/10/19 sailing isn't available to book. If you add its capacity, that brings the totals to 28,518 and 36,351. Several other ships are setting sail on 2/9/19 and 2/11/19. That is potentially alot of people in three days.

Each person doesn't do check in. Only a single person for the cabin. Say the average cabin has 3 people in it. The 25,000 you mentioned is now down to 8,500 trying to check in. Big difference.