What's up with these high taxes + fees?

kelmac

My wife and I have cruised 64 times on a variety of cruise lines. A couple of years ago we tried NCL again and found if we added a dining package and a drink package that the overall quality of the cruise was excellent.

Today I was trying to book a cruise for early November and couldn't believe all the taxes and fees that NCL adds to the booking price. The other lines have these same taxes and fees, but at a much lower rate (by the way, these are separate from port charges):

examples--

Celebrity Equinox, 11 nights.............................$255.04 taxes and fees*

NCL Getaway, 7 nights.....................................$322.56 taxes and fees*

Carnival Magic, 7 nights....................................$286.80 taxes and fees*

NCL Pearl, 14 nights.........................................$863.74 taxes and fees*

Princess CP, 14 nights......................................$320.00 taxes and fees*

MSC Seaside, 7 nights......................................$275.66 taxes and fees*

RCL Harmony, 7 nights......................................$235.10 taxes and fees*

* per cabin for two people

Adding a dining package + the service charge of the drink package pushes NCL's

prices way above Celebrity, HAL, Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean and MSC.

Is NCL that good?

Kel:confused:

This would mean a lot more if you were comparing the exact same itinerary from the same port and same number of nights. The port fees for the destinations matter and the departure port matters. Some ports have higher fees than others.

Compare a 7 day from Miami on NCL and a 7 day from Miami on RCCL? How do those compare? Or a 7 day from Miami on Carnival? That's a better comparison... Not just randomly picking a variety of ships from many different departure locations.

I've looked this one up in the past - https://www.gov.bm/passenger-departure-tax

So Bermuda gets $14 / cabin-night and $20 / passenger-day, that is going to be $208 for a 48 hour stay, one cabin, double occupancy.

For many of the island nations it's a significant revenue stream, and the numbers are specific to time and location.

Per a lawsuit from back in 1997, the only thing that cruise lines are allowed to put into their separate "port fees and taxes" are "payments made to governmental or quasi-governmental agencies (like pilot associations). They are not allowed to include things like port services (water supply or garbage removal) unless those are paid to the governmental port authority, and not a third party contractor.

Not so. For example Oceania, which is part of the NCLH corporate family, does not separately state taxes, port charges and fees. They're rolled into the base fare.

I haven't checked every other cruise line but it wouldn't surprise me if there are other cruise lines that do the same.

you are right, but if they did it would work out the same and they are considered a luxury line, so their wary of billing is different. I think most of us are thinking mass marketed lines, not luxury. The cost of Oceania is quite a bit higher than mass marketed lines so you are paying the taxes and port charges in the base price.

I was pricing out some cruises for next spring and the prices are about 2k more for 6 ppl (2 balcony cabins) compares to our recent Getaway cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

what you see in prices today and almost a year from now may be totally different, plus high cruise season makes a difference. Sometimes those high prices come down, sometimes the low prices go up. As has been said here over and over, the only way to compare is to compare identical or close as possible ships in age, itinerary and dates. It is almost impossible to truly get an honest price comparison.

I wondered about the wide variation on different lines same dates and same ports a few years ago and looked into reasons. The taxes and port fees are not a smoke screen or way for the lines to take money on the backside. They haven’t been for about 20 years now. One reason they vary is due to different contacts the various lines negotiate with various ports.

So Disney may have a sweetheart contract with a port and only have $75 fees. A different line may have twice the fees due to a less favorable contract.

If fees are negotiated from booking time to sailing date and fees go up, the costs are typically spread out to the remaining staterooms that haven’t been sold yet. They can also go down as a result of more than double occupancy.... and that is typically seen in lesser port fees for remaining unsold rooms. That’s the way I understand anyways. Alaska and Panama Canal ports must not cut anybody a deal bc their fees are usually about the same on all lines and pretty high. Other ports can have a pretty wide variation.

Here is common example:

Dec 1, 2018 Celebrity Equinox, CAT 10 inside, 7 nights, out of Miami.

Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman

$1,333.00 + $272.58 = $1,605.58 (two adults)

Dec 2, 2018 NCL Getaway, CAT 1D inside, 7 nights, out of Miami.

Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel

$1,403 + $322.66 = $1,725.66 (two adults)

Equinox = 122,000 tons; 2,850 passengers; space ratio 42.81

Getaway = 146,600 tons; 3,969 passengers; space ratio 36.94

I've cruised both of these ships and enjoyed them both, but basic Celebrity is way better than basic NCL for food quality, service and space. NCL shines in Entertainment and family activities. We have cruised NCL 9 times, and we always pick up the dining package + the drink package to bump up the experience close to Celebrity. NCL can be really excellent, but it's going to cost more than you think.

Enjoy!

Kel:D

The first thing that stands out is that the NCL cruise goes to Harvest Caye, which is an "exclusive" port for NCL, and they are paying a lease to the Belizan government for this, and that could be significantly higher, since it is an exclusive, than port fees for other ports. Also, I believe Grand Cayman is in more demand than Key West, so their fees may be higher.

I can remember when the Norwegian Wind was calling at Fanning Island in the Republic of Kiribati as a way around the PVSA, and NCL was paying a million or so every year for the exclusive rights to tendering at Fanning. And that is in the middle of the Pacific, and there is nothing there.

Here is common example:

Dec 1, 2018 Celebrity Equinox, CAT 10 inside, 7 nights, out of Miami.

Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Grand Cayman

$1,333.00 + $272.58 = $1,605.58 (two adults)

Dec 2, 2018 NCL Getaway, CAT 1D inside, 7 nights, out of Miami.

Roatan, Harvest Caye, Costa Maya, Cozumel

$1,403 + $322.66 = $1,725.66 (two adults)

Equinox = 122,000 tons; 2,850 passengers; space ratio 42.81

Getaway = 146,600 tons; 3,969 passengers; space ratio 36.94

I've cruised both of these ships and enjoyed them both, but basic Celebrity is way better than basic NCL for food quality, service and space. NCL shines in Entertainment and family activities. We have cruised NCL 9 times, and we always pick up the dining package + the drink package to bump up the experience close to Celebrity. NCL can be really excellent, but it's going to cost more than you think.

Enjoy!

You are still not going to the same ports which can make a huge difference. Let's face it, no one is going to convince you that probably bottom line, other than special packages there is very little difference and certainly as a rule Celebrity is going to be slightly more expensive. Are you considering in your breakdown perks that one is offering over another? You have, at least priced close to the same ports and type of ship. Just go with what you want and be happy. I will disagree with you on one comparison, now that you are starting to compare based on activities, cabins etc. I do not think Celebrity cabins are any better than NCL> I do think the food on Celebrity is slightly better but not as much variety.

You are still not going to the same ports which can make a huge difference. Let's face it, no one is going to convince you that probably bottom line, other than special packages there is very little difference and certainly as a rule Celebrity is going to be slightly more expensive. Are you considering in your breakdown perks that one is offering over another? You have, at least priced close to the same ports and type of ship. Just go with what you want and be happy. I will disagree with you on one comparison, now that you are starting to compare based on activities, cabins etc. I do not think Celebrity cabins are any better than NCL> I do think the food on Celebrity is slightly better but not as much variety.

Hi NMNita,

What I see is a trend that NCL's prices are creeping up and other line's prices seemed to be holding steady. I've cruised Celebrity 29 times and NCL 9 times -- you need to try one of Celebrity's S-class ships, which are head and shoulders better than anything in NCL's fleet. Better food, more space and better service. I usually just sail in an inside cabin, unless there's a real deal to be had. S-class inside cabins are 200sqft and NCL's newer ships come in much smaller. The NCL cabins are well designed, but smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I really like sailing NCL, but it has become more expensive compared to more upscale premium lines (HAL, Celebrity, Princess). NCL used to be the bargain line with lower prices, but I think MSC is stealing that away.

NCL's ships seemed to be sailing full, so I guess people either don't know or don't care about the pricing differences.

I really like NCL's itineraries because they are different than the other lines, but they are heavy to the 7-day cruise experience and we are looking to longer cruises now that my wife is retired.

Enjoy!

I find that prices overall on all cruise lines have increased steadily and I find that very surprising considering there are more and more ships out there. It's all supply and demand.

Of course you are completely right but as long as the ships go out full or close to full, we will not see a decrease in pricing. Actually just look at the cost of hotel rooms for instance?? I am appalled at what we have to pay anymore. Those rates go up as well. Price a hotel for a week, 3 meals a day, plus snacks if you want them: add the cost of entertainment and drinks: We would all be shocked at how the price of cruising isn't out of line. I have looked into the price of decent land tours like Caravan. They can be higher than a cruise with very few meals included and no entertainment.

Of course you are completely right but as long as the ships go out full or close to full, we will not see a decrease in pricing. Actually just look at the cost of hotel rooms for instance?? I am appalled at what we have to pay anymore. Those rates go up as well. Price a hotel for a week, 3 meals a day, plus snacks if you want them: add the cost of entertainment and drinks: We would all be shocked at how the price of cruising isn't out of line. I have looked into the price of decent land tours like Caravan. They can be higher than a cruise with very few meals included and no entertainment.

Completely agree with you. Cruises are a great value even if they are inching up in price.

Celebrity Equinox, 11 nights.............................$255.04 taxes and fees*

NCL Getaway, 7 nights.....................................$322.56 taxes and fees*

Carnival Magic, 7 nights....................................$286.80 taxes and fees*

NCL Pearl, 14 nights.........................................$863.74 taxes and fees*

Panama Canal adds about $325 per person ($650 For 2)

Princess CP, 14 nights......................................$320.00 taxes and fees*

MSC Seaside, 7 nights......................................$275.66 taxes and fees*

RCL Harmony, 7 nights......................................$235.10 taxes and fees*

* per cabin for two people

AGMG,

I think you are correct about that partial Panama canal entry. That explains a lot.

Thanks,

Absolutely, Panama Canal taxes and fees are the highest around. The canal tariff is based on $120/berth, whether that berth is occupied or not, so the fewer passengers onboard, the higher the tax per passenger will be.