Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

Kazu made the ultimate sacrifice and missed bingo.

The timing of our activities has been mucked by the time changes (2 becomes 3) so I might have to miss a couple of games.

After the cabin crawl it was a rush to get ready for the Cellar Master's Dinner.

b17e6ee208c378e64fc3d30620b1d422.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for posting ... nice menu and pairings.

Who is the Cellar Master? The other day you mentioned a wine steward who was also on the Westerdam. Would that be Madonna? If so, tell her Louis and Lisa say Hello !

We had a CD on one of our cruises who always signed off with "Woo Hoo!" which was SO annoying. Apparently he's changed (or has been told to) and no longer does that.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

That would be "Woo Hoo" Hamish. He annoyed us at first, but we got used to it once we met him as it was genuine. It was also fun to hear him lower the "woo hoo" when on the bridge. He must have "reformed" as I THINK he was the World Cruise CD.

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for posting ... nice menu and pairings.

Who is the Cellar Master? The other day you mentioned a wine steward who was also on the Westerdam. Would that be Madonna? If so, tell her Louis and Lisa say Hello !

Our cellar master is Hungarian Louis.

I have to double check as I do not to mispell his name and will post.

By the way, the white wine from Austria was AMAZING. Once the red came out, they kindly gave me more of that. (Some red wines don't like kazu).

DH said the red was excellent.

Sorry Madonna isn't on this cruise - at least I haven't seen her.

By the way, the white wine from Austria was AMAZING. Once the red came out, they kindly gave me more of that. (Some red wines don't like kazu).

Gruner Veltliner is always nice ;p A bit difficult to find in Canada but our LCBO sometime stocks it.

p.s. And it's fun to pronounce ;p

Hi Sherita,

I haven't gotten pics yet but I will get pics of them for you and the names. She looks like the same violinist we had on the Rotterdam but I don't want to swear to it.

Ahh. It’s a she, so that takes care of the violinist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a beautiful day in Horta it was.

It started out cloudy and cool but the sun shone through.

It’s a beautiful spot with very colourful houses.

Mosaics in the cobblestones (I think the correct term is cobblestones?) But it was relatively easy walking.

Along the sea wall, there is a design of a whale and decorative motifs.

As you move up the collateral streets there are different mosaics outside different stores.

And of course, there are the pics drawn by sailors as you leave the terminal.

Prinsendam is the only cruise ship in port (and will be in nearly every port we are going to) and even though it is Sunday, a few wise proprietors were open to offer food, drink and wifi. LOL.

The captain was having a bite at the restaurant near the end of the sea walk - at the bay. I was very happy with our choice.

The proprietor was very congenial.

The food was delicious. The wine was lovely and the wifi worked. What more can anyone ask for?

And of course, there are the pics drawn by sailors as you leave the terminal.

According to wikipedia Horta has long been a stop over for yachts crossing the Atlantic and there is a tradition of the crews doing a commemorative wall painting. I would have thought that would be in the marina but I found this picture on Google a little way in land. Of course it is possible that the OP put the marker in the wrong place.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.542629,-28.62726,3a,75y,111.14h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOooC-7PTJaaJG8n-XzYduYrJNkmN3j1qd4qo1n!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOooC-7PTJaaJG8n-XzYduYrJNkmN3j1qd4qo1n%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi3.6197855-ya318.92184-ro-2.017312-fo100!7i5376!8i2688

It is a 360 selfie.

Yes I bought the ship's internet. No choice with 8 days at sea ;)

I have put a couple of pages here, about Internet access when cruising based on my experiences. There is probably nothing there for people who are used to it (though the 2 factor and public hotspot warning might be salutory), it is intended to help new cruisers. So if anyone can add to it, drop me a line. You are not expected to look at it on your cruise, wait until you get home.

According to wikipedia Horta has long been a stop over for yachts crossing the Atlantic and there is a tradition of the crews doing a commemorative wall painting. I would have thought that would be in the marina but I found this picture on Google a little way in land. Of course it is possible that the OP put the marker in the wrong place.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.542629,-28.62726,3a,75y,111.14h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipOooC-7PTJaaJG8n-XzYduYrJNkmN3j1qd4qo1n!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipOooC-7PTJaaJG8n-XzYduYrJNkmN3j1qd4qo1n%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi3.6197855-ya318.92184-ro-2.017312-fo100!7i5376!8i2688

It is a 360 selfie.

There is a marina. It is a fair walk away and we went. there are drawings there and at the terminal where the P'dam docks.

A few pics of Horta.

The sea walk.3629454be66a4306970bd35e7c6bc62f.jpg