Bermuda

why do the onboard stores close when the ship is on port? because of taxes?

It's pretty much standard procedure. I"m sure part of it is tax related but it's mostly that the port of call wants the tourist revenue spent on the island instead of on the ship.

I have a question. What is the best excursion to do in Bermuda..We are traveling with older people. So, I guess I am looking for best tour. My hubby and I are younger, so we want to do the jet ski's.

Take a look over on the Bermuda port forum. It will help you find what you are looking for and give you a lot more info.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196

I really enjoyed the speed boat around the island with a 90 minute period in St. George. You can book it for less money once you're there (but check the timing on the company website to see if space is available at a convenient time). The stop in St. George coincided with that re-enactment/comedy show they do by the dock where they dunk the lady. Not a lot of shade there, though.

If they have trouble boarding a boat, frankly the ferries (NCL and local) will get them to the two major towns and the local bus between Hamilton and St. George gives you some pretty nice views. When I got off the NCL ferry in Hamilton, there was a little tram that stopped just outside the information office - presumably that was a city tour you could take without walking much.

I've done the glass bottom boat and the famous houses tours and both times ended up sitting in full sun perched uncomfortably on a hard seat. They pack people in and I wouldn't say either was value for money.

This next trip we're going to hire a cab/tour for a few hours. For four people it's a great value to see precisely what you want to see, especially when you have older folks who might have accessibility issues.

I have a question. What is the best excursion to do in Bermuda..We are traveling with older people. So, I guess I am looking for best tour. My hubby and I are younger, so we want to do the jet ski's.

Somerset Bridge Watersports does Jet Ski rentals. http://www.bdawatersports.com/

You could take teh free NCL ferry to St. Goerge with your parents and walk around there. You can also plunk them at Horseshoe Bay for a few hours. The entire island is safe and easy to navigate via the public bus and ferry system. no need to pay top dollar for ship excursions.