First time Aqua Class Not Enamored

radiationman

We also got off Summit yesterday and thought Blu was excellent. We normally ate between 6 and 6:30 and never had to wait. Seated right away and always with the same waiter,Yaser. Went around 7:30 one night and did get a beeper. Went and got a drink and were beeped before our drinks were finished. We really enjoyed Blu for the service, food and quiet. Everyone we sat close to were very friendly.

Laura

Quick question.... did they have embarkation lunch? Four years ago we did the Summit to Bermuda and we were a trial run for brunch/lunch and it was a great start! Hubs surprised me with a birthday trip coming up and I am hoping they have it again.

We used to love Aqua Class (on the S-Class ships) and have cruised in that class many times. But about 3 years ago we noticed some deterioration in our Blu experience where we were tiring of the menu and too often found ourselves standing outside, for too long a period of time, waiting to be seated. After our last experience in Blu (Nov-Dec 2016) we vowed to make some changes.

Last year we decided to spend 21 days on the Reflection (in the Caribbean). Rather then booking Aqua we opted for a very nicely located balcony cabin (on Deck 10) which got us away from the large overhang that is endemic to most of the AQ cabins. Because of our status and a promotion we got an upgrade to Concierge which was appreciated because of those little balcony foot stools. With some of the money we saved by NOT booking Aqua we them purchased 14 nights of dining packages which cost us about $25 per person/meal (this purchase was made during a Celebrity 20% Off sale). During our cruise we dined in the MDR on all the Chic Nights (when they have the best menus). On nearly ever other night we dined in alternative restaurants (10 times in Murano, 2 times in Qsine, and 1 each in the Tuscan and Lawn). The quality and menus of the food in the alternative restaurants was superior to what we had previously experienced in Blu and we actually saved money by using the dining package in lieu of Aqua Class. And the icing on the cake was that we found the Deck 10 balcony location much more superior to those AQ cabins which feel like they are in a big shadow (because that are).

For us, the issue with Aqua is whether its worth the extra cost (which varies). All things being equal we would much prefer to dine in Murano or Qsine then in Blu. Instead of eating overcooked short ribs in Blu, we can be dining on Chateaubriand or Sea Bass (filleted table side) in Murano. Its not even a close contest.

Hank

We used to love Aqua Class (on the S-Class ships) and have cruised in that class many times. But about 3 years ago we noticed some deterioration in our Blu experience where we were tiring of the menu and too often found ourselves standing outside, for too long a period of time, waiting to be seated. After our last experience in Blu (Nov-Dec 2016) we vowed to make some changes.

Last year we decided to spend 21 days on the Reflection (in the Caribbean). Rather then booking Aqua we opted for a very nicely located balcony cabin (on Deck 10) which got us away from the large overhang that is endemic to most of the AQ cabins. Because of our status and a promotion we got an upgrade to Concierge which was appreciated because of those little balcony foot stools. With some of the money we saved by NOT booking Aqua we them purchased 14 nights of dining packages which cost us about $25 per person/meal (this purchase was made during a Celebrity 20% Off sale). During our cruise we dined in the MDR on all the Chic Nights (when they have the best menus). On nearly ever other night we dined in alternative restaurants (10 times in Murano, 2 times in Qsine, and 1 each in the Tuscan and Lawn). The quality and menus of the food in the alternative restaurants was superior to what we had previously experienced in Blu and we actually saved money by using the dining package in lieu of Aqua Class. And the icing on the cake was that we found the Deck 10 balcony location much more superior to those AQ cabins which feel like they are in a big shadow (because that are).

For us, the issue with Aqua is whether its worth the extra cost (which varies). All things being equal we would much prefer to dine in Murano or Qsine then in Blu. Instead of eating overcooked short ribs in Blu, we can be dining on Chateaubriand or Sea Bass (filleted table side) in Murano. Its not even a close contest.

Hank

Excellent reply, which perfectly illustrates why if someone asks one of these questions, that questioner should read all the replies together and consider how the opinion applies to them.

I completely agree and disagree with Hank.

We are planning our first 15 day cruise and I have tried to get DH to do what you have described, Hank - a good balcony cabin and a multiday specialty restaurant, because it would be less expensive and maybe better experience...On our last 7 day we ate in Murano 3 times, one dinner, one lunch and the Chef's Table. Overall the food in Murano is better than Blu and the experience is much better - less crowded tables, slightly less hurried waitstaff. The problem is that neither one of us felt like we could eat 10 nights in Murano - too much of a good thing. Blu hit a sweet spot for us in terms of variety, quality and "elaborateness" of presentation of the food - not that it was perfect and there was one evening when I had the French onion soup, because nothing appealed. DH's problem with the balcony cabin and dining package plan is that first he enjoys having the waitstaff know us (and mostly on cruises they are good at that) and he doesn't particularly want to eat at any of the other specialties - I'm the one who wants to try them all!

The other thing that Hank mentions that points out why you have to read a lot of reviews, is the big balcony overhang - I chuckled when I read that, we are booking late for this 15 day cruise and don't have a huge choice of AQ cabins, for us it was the big overhang vs overhead noise from the pool - I can't be out in the sun much, so the balcony overhang is wonderful from my perspective, the noise I can live with!

Thanks CruiseCritic - reading a lot of other peoples' honest opinions is a good way to make an informed choice and make the most of what for us is an expensive vacation. I really appreciate all the great posters

Quick question.... did they have embarkation lunch? Four years ago we did the Summit to Bermuda and we were a trial run for brunch/lunch and it was a great start! Hubs surprised me with a birthday trip coming up and I am hoping they have it again.

No special embarkation lunch for Blu only for concierge.

Laura

We were in blu twice on back to back (med and adriatic) on the Constellation a couple of years ago and had a great experience. The maitre de, ( David from Canada) was very personable and efficient. We never had to wait for a table and our two glasses of Chandon arrived at our table within a couple of minutes. Our next experience on the Eclipse TA was totally different. Long waits for a waiter, food sometimes cold. Don't know the name of the maitre de as he never bothered to introduce himself. A lot depends on who is running the show. We didn't notice much difference in food quality between the MDR and blu. The primary difference was service and less crowding in blu. We are spending 15 days on the Millennium in September and the price differential between Aqua and standard veranda is $1500. I think we will taking the specialty restaurant package.

Not quite sure how this happened. I was keeping an eye on our cruise and notice Aqua Class had dropped and was only a few dollars more, this was after final payment. Called travel agent, and we ended up getting some extra onboard credit that was more than the cost upgrade from a balcony.

We were in blu twice on back to back (med and adriatic) on the Constellation a couple of years ago and had a great experience. The maitre de, ( David from Canada) was very personable and efficient. We never had to wait for a table and our two glasses of Chandon arrived at our table within a couple of minutes. Our next experience on the Eclipse TA was totally different. Long waits for a waiter, food sometimes cold. Don't know the name of the maitre de as he never bothered to introduce himself. A lot depends on who is running the show. We didn't notice much difference in food quality between the MDR and blu. The primary difference was service and less crowding in blu. We are spending 15 days on the Millennium in September and the price differential between Aqua and standard veranda is $1500. I think we will taking the specialty restaurant package.

My DH and I enjoy Blu. That being said, the only specialty restaurant we go back to anymore is Murano (we also liked the Ocean Liners before they were removed from M-class). I agree with you that for a $1500 difference between a regular verandah and Aqua, we'd choose the verandah. While we like Blu, that's too much of a difference. We always request a table for two unless sailing with friends, and dine late when doing the MDR, and have not only managed to survive, but to enjoy ourselves. Perhaps the table for two provides us with better service than a large table would, and we find that the late dining is more relaxed than the early seating or Select tend to be. But if we currently sail an M-class ship not in Aqua especially with the $1500 price differential you mention, we'll put that $3000 away for another cruise and enjoy ourselves in the MDR.

Tried Aqua class once. Enjoyed Blu for breakfast. DH was very unhappy at dinner (& this is a guy that never complains). When we were flying home from that cruise he said, ok we experimented can we go back to my concierge cabin (better locations) & MDR (better food) now? I concurred & that’s where we’ll stay. He did like the showers in Aqua

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you not eat in the MDR with Aqua class?

Can you not eat in the MDR with Aqua class?

Yes, you can. Most people feel that Blu is the major benefit to booking Aqua over Concierge. Most enjoy it, but individual tastes, likes and dislikes differ. My DH was very doubtful that he'd be happy but when we tried it he did enjoy it very much.