No flip flops or basketball shorts in MDR?!

MommyAJ6

Yeah I'm glad I saw that, otherwise that's probably all my son would have brought. He doesn't like the feel of anything "stiff" or denim-like but we have lots of time to find something before then. I'll get myself a nice pair of sandals for dinner and leave the flip flops in my room. :)

you want to be careful with those spongy type flip flops. Have something with a good traction. Leaving the pool deck and going inside to the buffet area-- that floor is VERY slippery and have seen many people go down.

Other than church, where he wears dress pants, he doesn't really go anywhere else that he can't wear them. It won't be a problem, I just had no idea and would have only packed his basketball shorts if I hadn't read that. I love this board, it's so informational for new cruisers! I'm addicted!

Thank you to all the responders! Great answers!

He can wear cargo shorts all nights except formal my husband does along with tennis shoes and a tshirt, for formal night you can just have him wear slacks and a dress shirt no tie or jacket needed, I have even seen someone wear black tennis shoes with their slacks!! LOL we get changed right after dinner no problem.

I just read that there are no flip flops or basketball shorts allowed in the MDR. My son only wears basketball shorts and I think flip flops with a sun dress looks better than sneakers lol, how strict are they with this?

How can anybody think flip flops look better than sneakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Pacruise804, they're momma,s babies lol, I'm lucky, they love hanging out with me. I thank my lucky stars daily for that because I know that could change on the drop of a dime. Great advice, thanks!

Zidel, exactly! He'll be fine, he won't complain or anything, but he would live in comfy clothes all day every day if he ruled the world lol, ah to be 14!

Ricew001, thanks! That's so much more specific than what I saw before. I appreciate it!

Essiesmom, yikes! Lol that would cost me a fortune! The excursions alone are breaking the bank lol, but that's pretty much everything in life when you multiply it by 6 lol

Serene56, that's a good point, those things are death traps, even on wet asphalt

My son has worn BB shorts plenty of times on non formal nights, no one is stopping them, he is now 15 and word a t shirt

Enjoy your cruise, lets the kids be comfy

15 yo boy who is possibly at adult stature and his parent states..."let the kids be comfy". You just have no regard for Carnival's policy because it's YOUR vacation and you'll do and wear what YOU want, because you are just certified members of the me generation that puts your own wishes ahead of everyone else's.

They don't enforce anything so go to dinner dressed anyway you want. And the buffet is a very popular option so much so I can see cruise lines doing away with the dinning rooms or at least only having one!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

15 yo boy who is possibly at adult stature and his parent states..."let the kids be comfy". You just have no regard for Carnival's policy because it's YOUR vacation and you'll do and wear what YOU want, because you are just certified members of the me generation that puts your own wishes ahead of everyone else's.

Not sure what people wear affects others and why they wish we wear certain things I been on 30 plus cruises and have zero memory of what anyone wore at dinner

Focus on yourself and your family and you wont notice either

Not sure what people wear affects others and why they wish we wear certain things I been on 30 plus cruises and have zero memory of what anyone wore at dinner

Amen!!!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

MommyAJ6 beware- the haters have started to make their appearance! Don't let them bother you...

as for dress code on casual nights, you've had lots of advice and I think you have a solid plan. For the Cruise Elegant night, they CAN be stricter, so be prepared with those khaki pants, or be prepared not to eat in the MDR... you might get away with him wearing shorts on Elegant night, but as long as you're prepared it won't be a disappointment if they happen to enforce the dress code that one time!!!

How can anybody think flip flops look better than sneakers?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP was referring to herself wearing flip flops with a sundress- if you think that sneakers with a sundress looks better than flipflops, all I can say is, oh my!

Lol yeah people get their panties in a bunch too easily, they must need a vacation! Lol, I can't imagine living life so up tight all the time that I need to release some of that pressure through attacking strangers online and try to spread misery. It's sad. I'm thankful I'm not wound that tight hehe :)

you want to be careful with those spongy type flip flops. Have something with a good traction. Leaving the pool deck and going inside to the buffet area-- that floor is VERY slippery and have seen many people go down.

So true, and I would go so far as to say ANYWHERE on the ship could be dangerous with flip-flops. My dad has had cracked ribs, and on a recent 7 day cruise he slipped on deck while wearing the flip-flops. He spent quite a few days in bed with the pain from that fall.

Lol yeah people get their panties in a bunch too easily, they must need a vacation! Lol, I can't imagine living life so up tight all the time that I need to release some of that pressure through attacking strangers online and try to spread misery. It's sad. I'm thankful I'm not wound that tight hehe :)

Couldn't agree more!

MommyAJ6, if you live in the snow belt of Rochester NY, I'll guess that your kids wear long pants in the winter. I don't think they'll be outside in basketball shorts then? Some other type of shorts, like the chinos mentioned, can probably be the compromise solution you both agree to for the one and a half hour family mealtime. He can wear his usual attire all other times on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

On Elegant night there will be photo sessions set up throughout the ship with many different backdrops. My one souvenir that I bring back every cruise is a family picture of us on Elegant night. Just something to think about in case your interested. :DYou are going to have a great time!

The one in my avatar was our very first cruise. The little boy in this picture is 23 now and still loves to cruise!

First of all, there are guidelines that the cruise lines suggest regarding what to wear in the MDR. Many people disregard these guidelines for various reasons, which is wrong.

Secondly, what a certain person wears at an adjacent table is part of the ambiance of the establishment. I, unlike you am not myopic and what others that are seated near me will in fact have a bearing on my enjoyment of the meal because of their egotistical disregard to the guidelines that have been set forth by the cruiselines. Formal night has been eliminated for the most part on many of the lines and now it seems that many can't even wear a pair of Dockers and a collared shirt twice a cruise.

Enjoy your cruise, don't worry about the haters, one of them doesn't want anyone to break the rules in the MDR, but certainly has info on how to beat the system in the Alchemy Bar for the samplers. Yeah, another to add to the ignore list. In case you didn't know, you can ignore the haters and never see their posts again.

I just read that there are no flip flops or basketball shorts allowed in the MDR. My son only wears basketball shorts and I think flip flops with a sun dress looks better than sneakers lol, how strict are they with this?

Geez, really?? :rolleyes:

I would tell him if he can't handle wearing a pair of khaki's for a 2 hours a couple nights on the cruise, he could just stay home. ;p

My kid would know better not to argue with me. Its a pretty expensive vacation, and he should honor your wishes, its not like you are asking him to wear a tux.

He won't argue it or complain, it was my question, not his. I've just never been on a cruise so I didn't want to tell him no and walk in to see a room full of basketball shorts anyway. I had no idea this would be so controversial.

I love your attitude. Wish we had more of it out here :-)

I just happened to be on the Carnival site for another question so I copied this for you to help:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Evenings / Formal Nights

The length of the cruise determines the number of 'Cruise Elegant' evenings in the Dining Room. The first 'Cruise Elegant' evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second 'Cruise Elegant' evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting.

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

Most of the time in the MDR (including elegant night) I wear jeans. On elegant night I wear "church jeans" (dark wash, straight leg, high waisted) with a nice blouse and some kind of dress shoes and not once have I had one staff member say a word. Because you know what? That's about as dressed up as I get.

Other than church, where he wears dress pants, he doesn't really go anywhere else that he can't wear them. It won't be a problem, I just had no idea and would have only packed his basketball shorts if I hadn't read that. I love this board, it's so informational for new cruisers! I'm addicted!

Thank you to all the responders! Great answers!

You have a great attitude! So many people would be all up in arms about this and you are just glad to have the info.

Have a great cruise. Sounds fun with all those kids. My children are really close too and hang out together almost the whole time on a cruise but there are only three of them.

I would tell him if he can't handle wearing a pair of khaki's for a 2 hours a couple nights on the cruise, he could just stay home. ;p

My kid would know better not to argue with me. Its a pretty expensive vacation, and he should honor your wishes, its not like you are asking him to wear a tux.

She never said he would argue or even complain. She herself was just surprised.

Calm down people. She said in the first page that she would buy him appropriate shorts or pants.