Phones on cruises for the technology challenged

There, I admit it. I do not have a great knowledge of how technology works. I use my phone to call, text, as a camera, and light internet/social media use. Period. I'm not going to pay for an internet package on board (that's what Voom is right?). I know that my phone will need to be in airplane mode and that it's sole use on board is as a camera and clock. But, in Port, if there is Wi-Fi, would I be able to access it? would roaming charges factor in? Should I leave it in airplane mode in Port? Probably questions to ask my provider (Verizon), but thought I'd ask here where no one knows me [emoji3]. I'll be on Oasis w/eastern itinerary.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

You may be able to find free or inexpensive WiFi service in the port. If you keep the phone in airplane mode, you won't incur any roaming charges.

Yes, Voom is the internet package.

Yes, you'll want to leave it on Airplane mode at all times. The ships have cell service for a few providers, but it is outside your normal plans and has very high charges.

Yes, you can use WiFi in port if a business has it available. And yes, you want to leave your phone in airplane mode (you can turn WiFi on while in airplane mode).

As mentioned, be sure to turn OFF Data Roaming! On your phone you can activate "Wifi calling." You simply turn it on and fill out the info for "emergency calling." It simply needs an address listed, use your home address. Now when you are in port and find a wifi to hook up to, you can use your phone as if you are at your house. Keep it in "airplane" mode to bias it to "wifi calling." Where it shows the carrier it should say "VZWwifi." That means you are using Verizon Wifi Calling and there is no charge for this. It's just as if you are at your house. You can get texts, make calls, etc. Also when on Wifi your data will work as normal as it won't be roaming on a cell tower.

Another thing to keep in mind. As long as Data Roaming is off, you can take your phone out of "airplane mode" when not on wifi, and receive texts for $.05 and send texts for $.50 (not pictures though) on Verizon. That means if someone needs you, they can text you, you can take your phone out of "airplane" mode a few times a day and check for texts, then put it back in so you don't receive any texts. That's how I keep in touch on a cruise. I tell family to text if necessary, and check a few times a day. Just a thought.

If you use your phone remember to turn off data roaming.

As mentioned, be sure to turn OFF Data Roaming!

Another thing to keep in mind. As long as Data Roaming is off, you can take your phone out of "airplane mode" when not on wifi, and receive texts for $.05 and send texts for $.50 (not pictures though) on Verizon. That means if someone needs you, they can text you, you can take your phone out of "airplane" mode a few times a day and check for texts, then put it back in so you don't receive any texts. That's how I keep in touch on a cruise. I tell family to text if necessary, and check a few times a day. Just a thought.

The OP said they're not savvy about their phone, so digging into the settings is probably a non-starter.

To be clear, if you keep your phone in airplane mode you do not need to worry about roaming charges because you'll never connect to a cell tower.

An alternative for family is to ask them to send an email, or use a non-SMS texting app. Like whatsapp, facebook mensenger, or imessage if on Apple. They use the internet, which you'd get over the WiFi.

Verizon does offer a Travel Pass that is $5 a day in Mexico and Canada and $10 a day in 140 other countries. This pass allows you to use the same minutes and data limits you have at home for the day.

This plan worked good for me last time I was on a cruise.

It's so easy to accidently turn on and off airplane mode. But it is not easy to accidently turn on and off data. You have already stated that you only want to use wifi, so turn off the data! It's not hard to do. Data is the number one biggest surprise expense on a phone. Be safe, turn it off.

People are always afraid of phone calls and texts. My opinion is, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford some texts. Incoming texts are either free, or at most, $0.10 per text. Don't answer the phone. It's funny how everyone is in search of free wifi, but texting is so cheap today. I need to keep texting on, and honestly, my weekly bill off a ship, never exceeds $5.00. But if you are one of those people that are always receiving phone calls, you might want to keep it in airplane mode at all times also.

Do what is comfortable for you, but learn how to turn the data off.

It's so easy to accidently turn on and off airplane mode. But it is not easy to accidently turn on and off data. You have already stated that you only want to use wifi, so turn off the data! It's not hard to do. Data is the number one biggest surprise expense on a phone. Be safe, turn it off.

People are always afraid of phone calls and texts. My opinion is, if you can afford a cruise, you can afford some texts. Incoming texts are either free, or at most, $0.10 per text. Don't answer the phone. It's funny how everyone is in search of free wifi, but texting is so cheap today. I need to keep texting on, and honestly, my weekly bill off a ship, never exceeds $5.00. But if you are one of those people that are always receiving phone calls, you might want to keep it in airplane mode at all times also.

Do what is comfortable for you, but learn how to turn the data off.

My wife is not technical. So instruction to her is simple. Power off the phone and don't turn it on until we get back home.

Sometimes it is useful to be able to switch on your phone to listen to messages or call back in an emergency. So best bet is to switch off data roaming before you go on holiday. That way if you need to turn on your phone, you will only get charged for calls.

I am from the UK. We get data included for a small daily fee when visiting certain countries. To avoid breaching limits, I turn off data for individual apps to limit my data use and to avoid breaching limits.

Maybe slightly off topic, but there's a little known feature on iPhones (maybe on Androids too?) called Wi-Fi Assist that you should be aware of. This bit me while in Brazil. When turned on, which I think is the default state, your phone will automatically use cellular data when Wi-Fi connectivity is poor. I had a Verizon International plan that included several minutes of talk, several text messages, and just 1 MB of data. I hadn't planned to use any data...just do some light texting and checking in at home via voice for a few minutes. Data was for emergencies only. After about 15 minutes of being connected to the hotel Wi-Fi , I got a message saying that I had already blown through my first 1 MB of data and was now paying extra for additional cellular data. It was the Wi-Fi Assist feature trying to "help" me when the Wi-Fi signal was sketchy.

To turn off this feature, go to Settings, Cellular, and scroll all the way to the bottom...below all the individual apps. Of course, this won't matter if you are in Airplane mode or just have cellular data turned off.

Confused bought voom packages for 3 cabins, Can we both text and email with Voom onboard to communicate or just email each other to communicate?

This thread was discussing WiFi in port, and how to avoid cellular charges and not about Voom.

But to answer your question, with Voom onboard the ship you can use the internet the same as you would at home. You can use messaging programs to "text" but you can not use actual SMS texting. If your provider supports "WiFi Calling" they might allow SMS through that, but worth testing that at home before you go.

Verizon does offer a Travel Pass that is $5 a day in Mexico and Canada and $10 a day in 140 other countries. This pass allows you to use the same minutes and data limits you have at home for the day.

But only when on dry land, right?