Island Princess rooms aft deck 8

traveler525

Hello, in reading about the Island Princess I know people have strong opinions but since we have never been on her and the dates of the cruise work for us we have booked a cruise. But my concern is that we booked a cabin at the back of the ship on deck 8 and it looks to me as if there are a lot of cabins still available on that deck, aft. So I am wondering if anyone knows why that area might have a lot more availability than others on the ship. Problems with movement, noise? My husband and I have usually been aft, but since she is a smaller ship maybe there is more movement? Thanks for any help!

It could be because many cabins on EMERALD have obstructed or partially obstructed views. Also, there are no aft-facing cabins on that deck; rather an outdoor viewing area (no chairs). You did not mention the actual cabin, so hard to say more. There can be additional noise/vibration at times in the aft areas of lower decks (from engine noise), but not so much under normal cruising at sea.

We were on ISLAND for 60 nights and spent about 5 weeks of that in an aft Inside cabin on Baja and didn't notice much more movement than our Inside on Caribe near mid-ship that we had for the first 3 weeks.

Thank you Steelers36. We booked the last port balcony cabin, E736. We are not normally on a lower deck.

I have that same cabin on the Coral booked for an Alaska cruise June 2019. I understand it is a covered balcony and that there is a view to the back as well as the side. I'm not concerned about vibration or movement but am about noise coming from the nightclub below which this cabin is directly above. People here have assured me that you can't hear the music when in this cabin and I hope they are correct.

Susiean, the Island has a different layout since extra cabins were added I think. When I look at the deck plan, it shows (on the Island at least) rooms above and below deck 8. Deck 8 extends out further so I am guessing those rooms were added. Therefore I am a bit worried about the movement and vibration, if excessive, and since there are a lot of those cabins on deck 8 available right now, I am wondering if there is a reason no one is booking them.

Hi , we stayed in cabin e736 on Coral princess sister ship of Island, for a Panama Canal cruise. It looks like the deck plans for 8 are the same on each ship. We loved this cabin. The view is great as the railing curves a bit to the back giving you extra view behind also. It was also covered. Had no problem with movement , but we are not prone to sea sickness or light sleepers. Would definitely book again. At little extra walking but was great to wear off all the food and bevies !

If I can figure out how to put a pic up I will.

Hi , we stayed in cabin e736 on Coral princess sister ship of Island, for a Panama Canal cruise. It looks like the deck plans for 8 are the same on each ship. We loved this cabin. The view is great as the railing curves a bit to the back giving you extra view behind also. It was also covered. Had no problem with movement , but we are not prone to sea sickness or light sleepers. Would definitely book again. At little extra walking but was great to wear off all the food and bevies !

If I can figure out how to put a pic up I will.

Thanks!! I can get a bit seasick but not often.

I would enjoy a picture if you find one:)

Susiean, the Island has a different layout since extra cabins were added I think. When I look at the deck plan, it shows (on the Island at least) rooms above and below deck 8. Deck 8 extends out further so I am guessing those rooms were added. Therefore I am a bit worried about the movement and vibration, if excessive, and since there are a lot of those cabins on deck 8 available right now, I am wondering if there is a reason no one is booking them.

Correct - the lounge/nightclub on the Island was taken out in order to add more cabins. More cabins, more passengers, less public space = everything seemed crowded on the Island when I sailed on it. Lines for ATD, lines to get into the theater an hour before a show to get a seat. Good luck. For me, never again.

• Like 1

I was on the Island on Baha in the back for a Panama Canal cruise. Increased availability could be due to location. The Horizon Court buffet and Princess Theatre are at the front of the ship. Our dining room entrance was midship. It was a hike, a real hike, to get anywhere on that ship. Therefore, you can eat as much as you wish, because you will be working it off! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Correct - the lounge/nightclub on the Island was taken out in order to add more cabins. More cabins, more passengers, less public space = everything seemed crowded on the Island when I sailed on it. Lines for ATD, lines to get into the theater an hour before a show to get a seat. Good luck. For me, never again.

Thanks for letting me know!

I was on the Island on Baha in the back for a Panama Canal cruise. Increased availability could be due to location. The Horizon Court buffet and Princess Theatre are at the front of the ship. Our dining room entrance was midship. It was a hike, a real hike, to get anywhere on that ship. Therefore, you can eat as much as you wish, because you will be working it off! Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh, that is a good thought! I do not mind walking, as you said, we can walk off those wonderful meals :) Thank you.

• 1 year later...
On 5/1/2018 at 10:02 AM, traveler525 said:

Hello, in reading about the Island Princess I know people have strong opinions but since we have never been on her and the dates of the cruise work for us we have booked a cruise. But my concern is that we booked a cabin at the back of the ship on deck 8 and it looks to me as if there are a lot of cabins still available on that deck, aft. So I am wondering if anyone knows why that area might have a lot more availability than others on the ship. Problems with movement, noise? My husband and I have usually been aft, but since she is a smaller ship maybe there is more movement? Thanks for any help!

traveler525,

Hello!  I am wondering what decision you ended up making regarding the Island Princess - did you end up getting a stateroom on emerald(deck 8)?  If so, which one?  We are looking at maybe getting E737 or E736 due to the dual views.   I've read that people said that those two balconies were not for people that wanted privacy, just wondering what you thought of that and whether those are legit concerns.

I appreciate your comments!

I just sailed on the Coral in 737 on deck 8 on a southbound Alaska cruise this past June. I would get this cabin again in a flash. The views to the side and back were great. Being able to step outside on the aft deck was a real plus. There was almost never anyone out there. Excellent cabin choice.

39 minutes ago, nini said:

E736 on the Coral is great! The only negative are the Ass---es who go to the

back deck and smoke and the staff does not care.

I didn't experience any of the smokers but if I had seen them I would have called security to come and make them stop.

We tried! We informed the smokers that this was not a designated smoking area; we informed MANY staff and Guest Services. 

Believe me... we did as much as we could. Their only solution was to catch them in the act and immediately inform staff. We knew the names and cabin numbers but they did not give a you know what.

I would have taken a photo of them smoking and informed them I was turning the evidence over to staff. I hope you let Princess management know about these smoking violators. It would be cause for them to be put off the ship if they continued to smoke after being warned.

• Haha 1

We DID!!! I am an ex P.I. We did everything but physically drag their sorry  rear end to the powers that be!!! 

Do you now understand? They did not care!!! (Princess is still our favorite cruise line though)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, susiesan said:

I just sailed on the Coral in 737 on deck 8 on a southbound Alaska cruise this past June. I would get this cabin again in a flash. The views to the side and back were great. Being able to step outside on the aft deck was a real plus. There was almost never anyone out there. Excellent cabin choice.

Were you ever uncomfortable with the wind/temperature being that it was a 'cooler temperature' cruise?  

Also, as far as the aft deck that is public right around the corner...was that a problem?  Could people lean over and see you on your balcony to point that it was a problem?  I guess I'm asking if privacy was an issue.    

TIA!

2 minutes ago, Triptkr said:

Were you ever uncomfortable with the wind/temperature being that it was a 'cooler temperature' cruise?  

Also, as far as the aft deck that is public right around the corner...was that a problem?  Could people lean over and see you on your balcony to point that it was a problem?  I guess I'm asking if privacy was an issue.    

TIA!

We were so lucky with the weather. On the day sailing Glacier Bay which is when we were using our balcony the most it was sunny and relatively warm, in the low 70's. The wasn't any wind unless I went right up to the railing. Sitting on the chair up against the glass door was quite comfortable. This balcony is completely covered and that helped. We got some good glacier photos from here and by stepping out the door onto the aft area to go to the other side of the ship.

A few people poked their head around and could see us, but we just talked to them. It seems almost no one on the sailing discovered this aft deck for viewing. 

21 hours ago, Triptkr said:

traveler525,

Hello!  I am wondering what decision you ended up making regarding the Island Princess - did you end up getting a stateroom on emerald(deck 8)?  If so, which one?  We are looking at maybe getting E737 or E736 due to the dual views.   I've read that people said that those two balconies were not for people that wanted privacy, just wondering what you thought of that and whether those are legit concerns.

I appreciate your comments!

Yes, we did stay in E736 and LOVED it! We loved being aft, and we had a great view from the balcony.  We were almost close enough to touch the walls when going back through the locks (we only did a partial transit).  There was also a door to the back of the ship right next to ours, and the wake views were lovely.  We did not have a problem with privacy.  Of course, it was warm on this cruise, so I cannot address the "coolness" factor.  I would chose this stateroom again easily.  

20181110_125327.jpg

20181110_125345.jpg