Breakfast Item Question

Yes, they have grits!! :) Ask in the Lido or in the MDR. It took me several cruises to find them and being from the South it is butter. I had a small confrontation with a waiter because he wanted me to have cream and sugar. That is for Cream of Wheat. Those from the South love our grits. :)

Happy sailing!!

Yes, they have grits!! :) Ask in the Lido or in the MDR. It took me several cruises to find them and being from the South it is butter. I had a small confrontation with a waiter because he wanted me to have cream and sugar. That is for Cream of Wheat. Those from the South love our grits. :)

Happy sailing!!

Yes, I agree....butter is the way to go....milk and sugar on Cream of Wheat when I was a kid...

LOL you sound like us. I love hash browns and fried potatoes, DH doesn't like them. DH loves grits, I won't touch them (and I have tried them, made by my MIL who supposedly made the best). :rolleyes:

"Them"? Perhaps it depends upon the point of view of the person doing the preparing. I do not like having "them" for breakfast, but "it" sure goes well with eggs.

Grits is good - sort of like oatmeal is good. I do not think oatmeal are good.

I remember Maypo. The TV ad featured a kid saying "I want my Maypo !!"

We usually do have breakfast in the room. And we don't allow the limited menu card selections to deter us. I write-in whatever I want, like oatmeal with brown sugar, sausage and bacon, chocolate milk, cheese danish, donuts, eggs Benedict, (regular with Canadian bacon), and sliced fruit, and anything else we want. I have never had a write-in item turned down and usually I have more write-in items than the checked, printed items on the menu card.

Love the HAL room service breakfast, even on disembarkation day !!

Maypo? Yes, I do remember this breakfast item. Never tried it, however. It took me some years, i.e. into my adult years when I finally recognized the heart healthy benefit of oats to enjoy oatmeal. Always liked Cheerios as a child (and still do once in awhile,) but I also grew tired of them on a daily basis when I was growing up.

Yes I remember the "I Want My Maypo!" commercial really well....it was so long ago I am surprised I remembered it. It's really wild what pops into your mind at the strangest times! It took me a minute to think of Ovaltine...don't know if it still exists now or not...I think Nestlé Quik still does....

"Them"? Perhaps it depends upon the point of view of the person doing the preparing. I do not like having "them" for breakfast, but "it" sure goes well with eggs.

Grits is good - sort of like oatmeal is good. I do not think oatmeal are good.

Well "bless your heart".

It's interesting that you chose my post to make your point when there were 9 other posts that also used the words "them" or "they". :confused:

Well "bless your heart".

It's interesting that you chose my post to make your point when there were 9 other posts that also used the words "them" or "they". :confused:

Sorry - no intentional slight intended. I guess I started feeling more concerned about what I saw as questionable usage when it kept cropping up. The "s" does understandably suggest plural - until you realize how absurd a one grit serving would be.

Yes I remember the "I Want My Maypo!" commercial really well....it was so long ago I am surprised I remembered it. It's really wild what pops into your mind at the strangest times! It took me a minute to think of Ovaltine...don't know if it still exists now or not...I think Nestlé Quik still does....

Maypo - brings back memories of Farina, Ralston, Wheatena - always with lumps. I do recall getting a Sky King mug for my Ovaltine (which did not do anything to improve its flavor).

Sorry - no intentional slight intended. I guess I started feeling more concerned about what I saw as questionable usage when it kept cropping up. The "s" does understandably suggest plural - until you realize how absurd a one grit serving would be.

Thank you for the explanation! DH, a Savannah native, would agree with you. I'm a northerner and slip up now and then. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maypo - brings back memories of Farina, Ralston, Wheatena - always with lumps. I do recall getting a Sky King mug for my Ovaltine (which did not do anything to improve its flavor).

Wow, I had forgotten about those other three but I sure remember watching SkyKing...along with Superman, Rin Tin Tin, Lone Ranger. and Micky Mouse Club!

Thanks for the reminder!

Does HAL have grits st breakfast?

I can't remember from the Euro dam last time if they had grits and oatmeal or just oatmeal.

Please don't flame me, I am from the Northeast but over the last 30 years + I have lived in the South I have learned to embrace Southern food. ..and I just LOVE grits......

Among some other Southern foods which I really enjoy.

Thanks very much!

In the Lido they always have grits, oatmeal and cream of wheat. At least on my last two ships, Koingsdam , Amsterdam .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In the Lido they always have grits, oatmeal and cream of wheat. At least on my last two ships, Koingsdam , Amsterdam .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

And, Congee as well.

Lots of good memories of the "media heroes" of the past on previous threads! Those "radio days" of the past nurtured my generation's imaginations. For me, that led to The Love Boat on TV which further inflamed my imagination. And, now, well: look at my Signature as to the result. (With 3 more booked!)

Boy has this thread drifted from 'what is available at breakfast' to 'I remember the good old days'..;)

Not too long a drift - discussion of breakfast food - to remembering entertainment delivered by makers of breakfast food; a logical progression if ever there was one.

Yes, you were Love Boat inspired, as was I....however I have not been as lucky as you have been to take as many of all those lovely cruises....I am very happy for you, glad you got to see the world!

Many thanks for your very kind words! Your words are most appreciated.