Staying on ship during ports, what is there to do?

moongal

There is no point riding the bus from the ship into Progresso and then going back to the ship without getting off the bus. There is nothing to see that way.

I think it is sad ,especially with teens, to stay on board in an area of Mexico that is rich with ruins, major city(Merida) and sights other than beaches.

The company that runs the free bus into town,AutoProgreso, also offers many tours. You don't have to book them ahead of time as they will tell you about them on the bus.

Here is their web site:

https://autoprogreso.squarespace.com/new-products/

The other major tour provider there is Lawsons:

http://www.lawsonsyucatanexcursions.com/

They may be more expensive but not sure about that.

The town of Progreso itself is not the major thing to see in this area.

Thank you for all the responses. Personally I love sea days and have no problem just sitting around but will have 2 teens along. This shuttle that runs into town, can you just ride into town and ride back without getting off? I’d be afraid I’d miss a shuttle back. Or get lost if we got off. I would hate to be stranded in Progresso. Lol Cozumel that would be almost great!! Not so much Progresso!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess, with two teens, I have to ask. Have they ever been to any of the ruins? If not, it would be an incredible excursion. There are two that I know of and have done recently:

1) Chichenitza, which is very commercialized.

2) Uxmal, which is a wee bit closer than Chichenitza and way less commercialized.

I'd love to do them again and would pick Uxmal every time.

I think it would just be a tremendous experience for teens, but what do I know. I don't have any kids.

Whatever you do, enjoy your day and your cruise.

We have been unable to find anything that floats our boat for our upcoming stop in Progresso. (Excursion wise)

Can anyone who has stayed onboard the ship during a port of call tell me if it is super boring? Is there anything to do? Do they have any activities planned? Are the food venues open? Can you use the water slides?

I really want to find something to do but all the reviews I read for different excursions are so mixed....there are some glowing and some saying horrid (about the same excursion) that I don’t know what to believe. I have been to Progresso before and we did a dune buggy, beach trip and I wasn’t impressed. There will be 4 of going so I don’t want to waste a lot of money on something that might not be good. I am also not comfortable going out on our own there so that isn’t an option.

Any opinions on your experience with just staying onboard would be appreciated. Like did you enjoy the peace and quiet? Did you wish you had gotten off the boat after all? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

We usually bring a small tablet and find a quiet spot, cabin, promenade deck, to watch a movie or two. We bring DVDs and the tablet just for that purpose. Sometimes, we can plug the tablet into the TV in the cabin, but not always.

Last cruise...."NO button at all on the TV, and the remote was disabled for selecting the Aux inputs" Someone must have seen one of my earlier posts...about tapping in to the TV for Entertainment,

We had one of the most amazing days in Progresso last year.

We booked a cenote tour with https://www.yucatancenote.com

Probably, one of the best excursions we have ever done. Meanwhile, all the other people were on the boat that night were complaining about how they didn't like Progresso and we had an amazing time.

It depends on the ED what’s happening onboard during a port day. Several times it’s been—

12:00 Trivia

1:00 Trivia

2:00 Trivia

3:00 Trivia

4:00 Trivia

5:00 Trivia

Best chance to win that coveted Ship-on-a-stick - or a fleet of them!! :D

I have stayed onboard a few times and the 2 that come to mind were ...the people I met. On one, the staff didn't have enough to keep busy and I enjoyed talking to one of the bar staff about his island which prompted a future cruise because I was so interested. Another time, in addition to finally get into an uncrowded pool, I met 2 lovely ladies from New York, who I seemed to see everywhere after that. It is years later and I fondly remember these experiences.

I LOVE staying on the ship when everyone else gets off, especially on the itineraries that I've done a dozen times before.

I don't need anything to do except chill out and I've met some great people during those times who were doing the same thing.

If it's a port I've never been to, I'll venture out!

bury me at sea;

Depends on your personality. If I ever cruise solo I might be tempted to avoid all ports since the ship and the ocean are the reason I love cruising.

thank you Bury, to hear someone else who feels as I do. I could have a 4 port sailing and maybe do 1 excursion. I love the availability of the hot tubs, vacant pools and overall feel of a ship when the hustle and bustlers are not on board, but enjoy the energy of a full ship when they return. Having to fly to most ports often takes away my excursion budget but its all good!

We had one of the most amazing days in Progresso last year.

We booked a cenote tour with https://www.yucatancenote.com

Probably, one of the best excursions we have ever done. Meanwhile, all the other people were on the boat that night were complaining about how they didn't like Progresso and we had an amazing time.

Exactly!!! We visited Merida, a large and interesting city, just a bus ride away. We've never once stayed on the ship in port. Too many interesting things to see and do, even if you've been there multiple times.

1) Chichenitza, which is very commercialized.

2) Uxmal, which is a wee bit closer than Chichenitza and way less commercialized.

I'd love to do them again and would pick Uxmal every time.

I think it would just be a tremendous experience for teens, but what do I know. I don't have any kids.

Whatever you do, enjoy your day and your cruise.

I second or third a vote for Uxmal. It is by far some of the best we have seen and we have seen many including Chichenitza, Tulum, one in Mexico City and 2 in Belize. You won't be sorry!

• 2 months later...

After 46 cruises and visiting nearly all of the Caribbean islands, Central American countries, and a bit of South America, I don't get off the ships anymore. We are just on the cruises to relax, enjoy good food, spa pampering, and gamble. DH usually still gets off to buy good quality t-shirts, cigars, and occasional pottery pieces for me. What do I do onboard while in port? Go the spa as they often have good deals on port days, read on our balcony, and get some sun as the Serenity areas are virtually vacant.

We’ve been to the same itenerary on each cruise we’ve gone on so far, so we just get off the ship, walk around the docking area and then get back on. They usually play trivia and have small things going on, but we just like to relax by the (nearly empty) pool or get into the empty hot tubs. While we are in port is actually the only time we get in the hot tubs or pools because any other time its way too crowded.