FlL to Miami

jelayne

We are sailing out of Miami but having to fly into FLL. We arrive at FLL about 5 on a Friday evening. What is the best & most economical way to get from FFL airport to a hotel near MIA?.

We stayed at the Springhill Suites in FLL. Then on Sat AM got Uber to Port of Miami. It was quick and easy. Cost was $32 but we had a $15 coupon so only $17. Even at $32 we thought it was a great deal.

I know you wanted to stay in MIA but the hotels were cheaper for us in FLL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay near FLL - http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourism info - and then use Uber/Lyft as suggested above, or one of the shared shuttles (SAS, QLS, Go Airport, etc.) for about $15 per person. Same transport options will get you from POM back to FLL after the cruise.

If you have 4-5 travelling together a taxi van or UberXL is a good option for about $70+

Just stay in FLL. Why drive to Miami at night/during rush hour? Unless there was something you specifically wanted to do in Miami, of course. Grab a hotel near the airport in FLL then Uber to PortMiami in the morning for your cruise.

Which hotels in Miami offer a view of the port. I read somewhere how cool it is to wake up and see the ship, but not sure which hotel that was. Thanks!

The Intercontinental has good views.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which hotels in Miami offer a view of the port. I read somewhere how cool it is to wake up and see the ship, but not sure which hotel that was. Thanks!

In addition to the Intercontinental suggested above, check out the Holiday Inn as well as the Doubletree and the next door Marriott. Port views are only from some rooms - book early!

You don't have to stay near Ft. Lauderdale. If your flight is on time you will have plenty of time to check out Miami if you wish for dinner. Especially on a Friday evening as Miami is a late night city.

An Uber/Lyft from FLL to Downtown Miami/Brickell area will be around $40.00. The drive would be in rush hour by a reverse commute. So traffic won't be too bad I would expect 45-mins drive, maybe a little longer.

If you stay in Ft. Lauderdale as others have said just take an Lyft/Uber to Port Miami. Typical traffic on the weekend makes the drive pretty quick.

• 3 weeks later...

Tri-Rail will get you to the MIA airport - you are still a taxi/Uber ride from downtown hotels and the port.

Brightline train might be a better option to get from downtown Fort Lauderdale to downtown Miami

PS - you do NOT want a hotel near MIA airport; if staying in Miami search for downtown hotels, which will be closer to POM. ;)

Just curious as why you shouldn't stay at a hotel near MIA airport? We have the La Quinta booked for October. Should we change are stay?

Just curious as why you shouldn't stay at a hotel near MIA airport? We have the La Quinta booked for October. Should we change are stay?

Nothing wrong with a hotel by the airport and it's a short drive to PortMiami as well. You are fine.

La Quinta East is popular with cruisers for the price, but is very isolated - no dining or shopping options nearby. :(

In general hotels in the MIA airport area are okay if you are arriving late and just want a room; Blue lagoon area near MIA is a bit nicer, with a local strip mall nearby.

I would look at staying downtown, where you'll have lots of nearby dining and nightlife options and can see/experience some of Miami. ;)

We always stay in FLL and have SAS pick us up and take us to the port in MIA they also pick up at port and take you back to FLL.. $15.pp can't beat them. Great company

Thank you for this post, I could not remember the name of the transportation company, we have used them in the past and they are very good. I originally booked with Embassy under their stay and Miami transport rate but have reserved a reservation with SAS for transport and am saving a lot.