Car And Driver Arranged by Guest Services

Has anyone had Guest Services on a cruise ship arrange for a car and driver to meet you at a port?

I had to read this twice — really? Don’t they have enough to do just for onboard duties. Then burden them with requests to order car services for everyone - sorry no,,that’s not their job

The Shore Excursion Office might be able to do this for you, but I have never heard of anyone requesting such a service from them. Surely, it is not a Front Office responsibility to do this.

As another poster stated, this type of service is best arranged by you prior to your cruise.

I had to read this twice — really? Don’t they have enough to do just for onboard duties. Then burden them with requests to order car services for everyone - sorry no,,that’s not their job

The Shore Excursion Office might be able to do this for you, but I have never heard of anyone requesting such a service from them. Surely, it is not a Front Office responsibility to do this.

As another poster stated, this type of service is best arranged by you prior to your cruise.

I am sorry I stirred up so much ire. This was suggested by a person I thought knew it was doable.

Thank you. We will look into this.

If your cabin is a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, Concierge in Neptune Lounge may be able to take

care of that for you.

Though I am not a golfer, I have heard Concierge in Neptune, arrange tee time at a golf club at one of the islands. She had a car and driver arranged to take the golfers to the club and back to the ship. Yes, a nice tip would dfinigely l y be in order. :)

Though I am not a golfer, I have heard Concierge in Neptune, arrange tee time at a golf club at one of the islands. She had a car and driver arranged to take the golfers to the club and back to the ship. Yes, a nice tip would dfinigely l y be in order. :)

C oncierges, on h the ships, same as in hotels, can arrange all sorts of things.

Thank all of you. The Concierge must be what my friend was referring to. Unfortunately, we do not have a Neptune or Pinnacle suite, only a veranda.

In some ports, a private van and driver can be purchased as an excursion. For example on the Voyage of the Vikings you can rent a driver and van for $1699 for up to 6 people and 7.5 hours. Here is the description

Explore at your own pace

Flexibility to create a custom itinerary

Driver and English-speaking guide at your service

About the Excursion

Explore at your own pace with a private vehicle, driver and English-speaking guide at your service. This exclusive tour is designed to allow you the chance to customize your time ashore and discover the most interesting sights in the comfort and privacy of your own vehicle. With your private vehicle, and the personalized attention of your driver and English-speaking guide, you will have the flexibility and independence to design your itinerary ashore according to your own interests, and take in the sights at your own pace. See the famous sights, or go beyond to create your own intimate connections and unique cultural encounters. The Signature Collection is recommended for the single/solo traveler, couples, family, friends, and special interest groups traveling together. It can also be an excellent choice for guests with mobility limitations.

Capacity:6 guests. Your private party may be of any size up to the maximum capacity.

Another example from a different cruise - Alicante for 4 hours up to 15 people for $2199

Malaga for 8 hours up to 6 guests $1499

Malaga for 4 hours up to 15 guests $1299

these would be booked thru shore excursions

Edited by richwmn

The excursion staff and front office staff are definitely not the same as what you would find in hotel or perform the same duties. I can barely get accurate information about a ship sponsored tour.

I did have a friend tjat went on a higher end river cruise and she said the tour people could arrange thing alike this for you (dinners, shows, tours, transport etc.) Like a hotel concierge does

You might want to consider that just about anything arranged by onboard staff will cost many times more then if you simply do it yourself :). On most ships, the Guest Relations desk will not perform basic travel tasks such as arranging for a car/driver. But there are rare exceptions and we just (2 weeks ago) were involved in one of these exceptions after my DW was injured on a beach...and later needed to get to a hospital in a large Japanese port. The ship's physician, working with Guest Relations, contacted the ship's Port Agent who did hire us a car/driver (who stayed with us for nearly 8 hours). As one can imagine, the cost of this service was substantial.

Hank

Often private car/driver are offered through Excursions. The advantage over doing it yourself is that if you are late getting back the ship is in contact with them. We often use them especially in ports where there may be security issues like in Cairo. In that case the car came with a driver, plainclothes officer with a gun, and an Egyptologist who was a wonderful guide. We felt quite secure and worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Front desk won't book one for you, as already noted. You can arrange one through the normal shore excursions but they are horrendously overpriced versus arranging with a reputable local company in advance. A majority of cruise ports have enough tourist infrastructure that it is easy to located well-vetted and recommended agencies online. (For example, here on CC you should look on the discussion forum for your specific port of call for suggestions.)

These companies rely on their good reputation so it is highly unlikely you would miss the port. And you should always take the port agent's contact number with you -- that way you or your driver can also be in contact with HAL if anything goes wrong.

(I'm talking about the majority of ports. There may be a few where doing this is more difficult -- or more risky.)

I have heard of such a thing when a passenger needed to go to a doctor or dentist, arranged through the ship. I think it was in Rio last year on the Veendam.

IK have seen/ heard of it in Cafibbean and Europe.

I have heard of such a thing when a passenger needed to go to a doctor or dentist, arranged through the ship. I think it was in Rio last year on the Veendam.

This is a different situation and often handled in coordination with the ship's medical center. Port Agents often arrange for transportation to a local dentist for crew members (there is no crew dentist on cruise ships) and might also do this for a passenger as a courtesy (but often at a price). Medical and dental appointments arranged by a passenger are generally the complete responsibility of the passenger.

Hank

The front desk on river cruises will do things like this for you, but not a mass market ocean cruise line. I'm sure your friend was trying to be helpful but they are misinformed.

Roz

The front desk on river cruises will do things like this for you, but not a mass market ocean cruise line. I'm sure your friend was trying to be helpful but they are misinformed.

Roz

OR they were in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite and Con ierge in Neptune Lounge helped the friend. As to misinformed, all of the Neptune Concierges rotate from front office, If they do a cycle in Neptune, they return to front office when the assignment ends.

Roz

Dang, and I was just going to ask for tickets to a Broadway Play...

Has anyone had Guest Services on a cruise ship arrange for a car and driver to meet you at a port?

I have made special requests on previous cruises for a private vehicle/driver/tour in Alaska ports. I did this while I was travelling with my sister who was experiencing limited mobility because of hip and knee replacement surgery. I worked with the excursions desk (now called Explorations Central, or EXC), and I was willing to pay the cost. These were not published excursions, but arrangements the excursions desk made for me at my specific request. It's dependent on local vendor availability, so not something to be completely relied upon. The bottom line, in my experience, is that it can be done, with some limitations. I was travelling in a Neptune suite on those occasions, but I don't know that the excursions people really cared about that. They were interested in making a booking and receiving revenue. However, I certainly appreciated their willingness to go the extra mile for us.

I am sorry I stirred up so much ire. This was suggested by a person I thought knew it was doable.

ridgerunner51,

Since my post was one that you quoted in this response, I want to respond. Please do not feel that you "stirred up so much ire". If my post makes you feel that way, I apologize. You asked a good question and the responses that others have made have been informative to you as well as to all of us. Such information is what makes Cruise Critic a valuable resource for travel and cruise information.

ridgerunner51,

Since my post was one that you quoted in this response, I want to respond. Please do not feel that you "stirred up so much ire". If my post makes you feel that way, I apologize. You asked a good question and the responses that others have made have been informative to you as well as to all of us. Such information is what makes Cruise Critic a valuable resource for travel and cruise information.

Thank you. There have been great, helpful, informative responses. We are currently contacting taxi/transportation companies to make our arrangements in advance.