Difference between luggage direct and Seattle Port services

librarian

I have been following along in posts about Seattle services to Sea Tac. Is there a difference between what Hal offers for so much a bag and then what the port offers which looks like it supposedly free. I want to ensure my luggage gets

home but free sounds great too. My flight is at noon from Sea Tac.

Edited by librarian
Spelling

If your airline offers you free checked bags as does our Alaska Airline program we have to put our frequent flyer number on the HAL paperwork we submit so we don't get charged for checked baggage.

Disembarking the Zaandam in Seattle tomorrow but found out HAL isn’t doing Port Valet for this ship until the end of the next cruise. (First Alaska cruise of the season.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
Just pay attention to the paperwork....one is Port Valet (free) and the other is Luggage Direct.

We are on the Amsterdam- Alaska Seattle/RT June 3rd and I had already booked luggage Direct and just now noticed the charge is ZERO! printed form says : Cost---0...Due---0. on our previous HAL Alaska cruises the Luggage Direct charge was @ $25...well worth it but I guess now they have combined the 2 programs...however we did have to be on a certain airline (Alaska)and fly after 11 A M.

We did the Seattle Port Valet! I was nervous. It was awesome! Bags put out in the hallway at night and then there they were at our final destination. I wish all cities offered this!

I asked questions at Guest Services before I filled out the paperwork. They said that it's an "application" and sometimes they randomly reject people, just like how TSA randomly checks things. But for us it went without a hitch. Perfect disembarkation -- love this program!

We just got off a two week cruise to Alaska on the Zaandam. When we returned to Seattle, Hal had available Port Valet, which was similar to Luggage Direct offered in FLL. Worked the same. Only difference was it was free. While FLL charges $20 a bag. It's really nice that the taxpayers in Seattle pay for this service.

Thank you Seattle.

Our luggage arrived at the turnstile at or final destination.

Dan

And not only did Port Valet take care of delivering my bag it checked us in to our flight, provided the boarding passes, put the baggage fee on my HAL account (HAL days points!). A fabulous service for free!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's right! I forgot to mention about the check-in, boarding passes and fees. And the boarding passes were delivered to the room early enough that I didn't have to be a worry-wart about all of it. It was a very pleasant, white-glove operation.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

We used the Port Valet program in Seattle. We flew Delta direct to Nashville and our luggage was waiting in Nashville when we got off the plane. It was amazing! HAL processed the $25 per bag fee for Delta and I didnot have to worry if my luggage was a smidge over 50 pounds .

• 2 weeks later...

Picture of Form?

Does anyone have a photo of the Form that is used by HAL for Port Valet that you could upload? I have read about this service over on the West Coast Departures Board, but see there is more first-hand HAL info here. Is an evening flight eligible for this service? (I know you used to not be able to check luggage more than 4 hours in advance at SeaTac, but based on the other Board, it seems you can do so with Port Valet; I want to verify that).

THANKS!

Picture of Form?

Does anyone have a photo of the Form that is used by HAL for Port Valet that you could upload? I have read about this service over on the West Coast Departures Board, but see there is more first-hand HAL info here. Is an evening flight eligible for this service? (I know you used to not be able to check luggage more than 4 hours in advance at SeaTac, but based on the other Board, it seems you can do so with Port Valet; I want to verify that).

THANKS!

I dont have a copy but used it for our 6/2 disembarkstion off of Eurodam. Our flight wasn't until 10:05pm. Worked like a champ! The form did indicate that there CDC would be no over weight charges assessed and only the fee from the airlines. There was a spot to fill out if you were exempt from baggage fees. We have an airline credit card and flew first class so we noted it. The only hiccup was that the boarding passes printed by HAL didnt scan through security so we had to go to the counter to have them reprinted and then wait in security again. We would definitely do this again!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thank you for the info, lajbec!

Was there a time by which you had to disembark? I have read various reports, depending on different cruise line policies, but it’s unclear to me if HAL asks guests to be off by a certain time.

THANKS!

Thank you for the info, lajbec!

Was there a time by which you had to disembark? I have read various reports, depending on different cruise line policies, but it’s unclear to me if HAL asks guests to be off by a certain time.

THANKS!

Because our flight was so late, we were assigned the last time. I think it was 9:30. It made for a less rushed morning for us. We finished packing, went to breakfast, went back to our cabin to get organized and then made our way to a lounge (I needed wheelchair assist). We caught a cab to take us to our car rental (avis). We spent the day tooling around Seattle at our leisure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

We did the Seattle Port Valet! I was nervous. It was awesome! Bags put out in the hallway at night and then there they were at our final destination. I wish all cities offered this!

I asked questions at Guest Services before I filled out the paperwork. They said that it's an "application" and sometimes they randomly reject people, just like how TSA randomly checks things. But for us it went without a hitch. Perfect disembarkation -- love this program!

It's not HAL that randomly rejects, it's TSA and/or CBP.

...and you arrive at SeaTac with your boarding pass already in your pocket. :D