Escape NYC disembarkation

Briji04

I've had perfectly fine disembarkations at both the Brooklyn cruise terminal and Cape Liberty terminal in New Jersey. But the combination of NCL and the Manhattan cruise port is always a disaster.

Sure, there are a lot of things out of any cruise line's control here -- most significantly, large ships vs. the cruise port's small size -- but with years of experience, one would think that NCL would have figured out a reasonable, mostly painless disembarkation process for this port. But apparently that has never happened.

Ideally, they need to assign passengers specific disembarkation times (right now it's a choose what you want free-for-all that few abide by anyway); provide an adequate onboard waiting area, even if that means keeping a dining room open longer than they would prefer; and have more onboard staff on hand to direct (read: enforce) a more orderly process.

Ideally, they need to assign passengers specific disembarkation times (right now it's a choose what you want free-for-all that few abide by anyway); provide an adequate onboard waiting area, even if that means keeping a dining room open longer than they would prefer; and have more onboard staff on hand to direct (read: enforce) a more orderly process.

Yes. Some actual order and enforcement would great.

The color coded tags are a bit of a failure. You're supposed to exit at the time designated by luggage tag color with easy walk-offs having first dibs before the tag folks are to exit. It's a joke since that rarely is how it plays out. The most the crew seems to do is set up the lines to herd departing passengers to get off the ship but people jump in line early regardless of color tags plus there are the people who do the easy walk off with entirely too many bags who slow things down.

It seems like NCL doesn't care about making disembarkation orderly or easy at the Manhattan terminal. They just want people off the ship so they can turn it over for the next passengers and don't care how they get off as long as they do get off. I feel like it's actually gotten worse as time goes on. My first few cruises (like 2012-2014) were not great either in terms of disembarkation but I could usually get off and out in about 30 minutes. Now it's always at least an hour. Maybe next time I will try the packed and by the door before we're even cleared so I can run off as soon as the all clear is sounded method. :cool::)

The post cruise survey asks about embarkation / disembarkation and I am sure folks lament about the NYC disembarkation disaster consistently but nothing seems to change.

Yes. Some actual order and enforcement would great.

... The post cruise survey asks about embarkation / disembarkation and I am sure folks lament about the NYC disembarkation disaster consistently but nothing seems to change.

And, it's not just NCL's mega ship. Spot on that it has gotten worst in the past year, our 4th one on the Breakaway last November was the bomb - it was a joke to use Yellow Tag & get priority ... to get dumped once you are off "their" ship's gangways and on the terminal, it's a free for all and on your own.

Two nephews including one of the wife cruise a bit, also recently - all 3 of them worke @JFK for airlines in ground ops ... their feedback & comments were - it is absolutely unacceptable, imagine if they do this at the airports. Very simple, set up some rope barriers to keep orders for the line, even it's 3 or 4 abreast with luggage - it's better than the mob scene of kettles being herded these days.

Tomorrow, the Gem will be back again and of course, Sunday, the Escape with the turnaround - we shall see & learn if status quo is true or not.

On those Post Cruise surveys, they received a total of 10 failing scores for being "poor" with disembarkation - from us (Gem & Escape last week) - it's not how customers should be treated, Platinum status or not.

This is, perhaps, an issue for the terminal operator to work with NCL & other lines to "fix" - they got rope barriers inside for check-in & registration, why not "invest" in more movable ROPE BARRIERS (or, retractable belts on pole stands) outside on that 1/3 mile long walkway leading to the double doors.

Haven, VIP's & Special Needs, Priorities, etc. keep right & the rest, stay left and against the wall to move things along. Maybe a set of doubled rope barriers.

Ok, I'm freaking out just a bit reading this thread. We will be getting off the Escape July 1 and have a 12:30 flight out of LGA. We can do self-assist if we have to but would rather not line up at 6AM to wait to get off the ship. Is it hard to get an Uber to the airport from the port (never cruised from NY before). Thanks!

Disembarking in NYC has always been a hassle

I too believe the ship just wants you off to start on the new batch of passengers

The color system does not work because it relies on the people to do what they are told

Come on people, this is the northeast, we breed some really rude people, if there line people will cut in or just get on the line no matter what color you have. Then comes the yelling and hand waving

That is why I cruise out of Florida now, a different atmosphere

Also I take my bags and get on line at 6:30, start disembarkation around 7:15-30 in the car at 8

I am waiting to board the ship. There is still a long line of people waiting to get off and it's only about 11am

I think boarding might be delay due to this. I never seen these kinda of crowds at this tine.

I am waiting to board the ship. There is still a long line of people waiting to get off and it's only about 11am ... boarding might be delay due to this. I never seen these kinda of crowds at this tine.

First, happy & safe cruising and a best wishes for bon voyage. Been quietly following the Escape in-bound this weekend, please keep us updated on progress.

Are you boarding from the Platinum/CAS or VIP "staging" area (or further back with the # zones for general boarding) ... watching the crowd outside against the glass windows/wall for their turn to get downstairs.

Just for timeline purposes, AIS showed an ETA of arriving early last night, wasn't in a rush doing 14 or 15 knots last evening. Up the Hudson & docked, full stop at Pier 88 just after 7 am and from I saw on webship live, the Express Walkoff was underway as early as 8:05 am with some crossing 12th Avenue to join the taxi queues or to wait for car service pickup.

Maybe we will get to hear from those coming off today on their views & angles of the backing up ... Looking at live snapshot, it does look like, they are still crossing 12th Avenue and the disembarkation isn't over yet. The Gem seemed to handled it a little better yesterday.

First, happy & safe cruising and a best wishes for bon voyage. Been quietly following the Escape in-bound this weekend, please keep us updated on progress.

Are you boarding from the Platinum/CAS or VIP "staging" area (or further back with the # zones for general boarding) ... watching the crowd outside against the glass windows/wall for their turn to get downstairs.

Just for timeline purposes, AIS showed an ETA of arriving early last night, wasn't in a rush doing 14 or 15 knots last evening. Up the Hudson & docked, full stop at Pier 88 just after 7 am and from I saw on webship live, the Express Walkoff was underway as early as 8:05 am with some crossing 12th Avenue to join the taxi queues or to wait for car service pickup.

Maybe we will get to hear from those coming off today on their views & angles of the backing up ... Looking at live snapshot, it does look like, they are still crossing 12th Avenue and the disembarkation isn't over yet. The Gem seemed to handled it a little better yesterday.

Last summer I did the walk off at 8AM and had no issue getting off the ship. If they want you out of you cabin you might has well get off the ship. this enables the staff to clean and get the next group on the ship in a timely manner

I am waiting to board the ship. There is still a long line of people waiting to get off and it's only about 11am

I think boarding might be delay due to this. I never seen these kinda of crowds at this tine.

Was the ship late arriving in NY?

MARAPRINCE

Nope, ship was on time, in fact early this morning.

From MarineTraffic's AIS data: under the VZ Bridge at 5:35 am, engine stopped at Pier 88 by 7:05 am (EDT)

The first human wave of Express Walkoff, around 8:05 am, folks with luggage on live video feed, crossing 12th Avenue & W. 48th Street, making their getaway.

Is it usual, common & normal to take NCL 3+ hours to vacate the ship of 4,500+ disembarking passengers for a good & orderly turnaround in NYC ? The choking and the bottleneck, appeared mostly, beyond the gangway leading inside into the terminal building. As we all know too well, if the ship is delayed, the rippled effects compound itself & worsen. The problem isn't folks not getting off the ship, rather ... to put it bluntly, IMHO - poor & inadequate crowd control on the pier and it's not CBP's primary duties to manage it.