Carnival loses luggage and doesn't care!

The cruise lines handled thousands and thousands of bags every cruise. A bag or 2 will get misplaced.

A few years ago, Southwest lost 4 of my family's luggage from a connecting flight through Baltimore. We were leaving for a cruise on carnival the next day. We had to go buy a bunch of stuff at Target that night (underwear, sleeping clothes bathing suits etc). When we got on board, we went to guest services to explain we are waiting on Southwest to hopefully bring our luggage. The guest services immediately offered free laundry and 50% off clothes in their shops on board. Luckily, southwest found our luggage and got it to the ship, but they also reimbursed our purchases from Target.

We also had trip insurance and I would have filed a claim for the lost luggage there if it hadn't showed up.

Since then, I have learned to pack lightly..1 bag each and carryon every where. You can not expect such a large volume carrier (ship or airline) to have 100% performance..nobody has that. They did their best to help you and you ended up with your bag back. They cant organize a search party and search every cabin.

So next time you go on any vacation in the future..you know how to minimize your risk.

Carnival didn't deliver the OP's bag to their cabin. That's Carnival's fault. If it went to a wrong cabin, that's also Carnival's fault. If a person in the wrong cabin kept the luggage, that is their fault, but it doesn't absolve Carnival. And we don't know that's what happened. Instead of being held in the wrong cabin, it could just as easily been left hidden in the ship's hold or somewhere else, and "found" when the crew began preparations for disembarkation.

I have had someone else's luggage delivered to my cabin twice on recent cruises, and I just alerted my steward to direct it where to it was supposed to go. One more reason I always (except for Med & Alaska cruises) walk my one piece luggage onto the ship myself.

I can't believe some of outlandish ignorant replies. The man said his tags were attached. What are the chances that his luggage even remotely matched somebody else's who "accidentally" had it all week? Who doesn't realize a huge bag taking up space in their cabin isn't theirs? If people are this dumb I hope they aren't in a cabin near me. This is 100% Carnivals fault and I'd be mad as a hornet and want compensation as well. Let's see if an Airline loses your luggage and you so "oh well" maybe someone is playing a joke and not expect compensation. Who do you blame when the Airlines lose luggage? Some of these replies are as dumb as can be. Stop sticking up for Carnival. If his bag didn't show up at his cabin like it is supposed to, it's Carnivals fault ..... plain and simple. Lost luggage will ruin most people's cruise quite a bit.

Sorry to throw gas on the fire, but "losing" your bag was NOT Carnivals fault.

Wrong. You give Carnival your bag and you don't get it back. In what world is that not their fault? It's their JOB to get your bag back to you after it's handed to them for check in. Any scenario that happens is their fault.

• It's their fault for putting it in front of the wrong door or in the wrong hall.
  • It's their fault for putting it too close to other people's bags.
  • It's their fault if someone accidentally takes it because it's in front of wrong door or too close to their bags.
  • It's even their fault if a passenger steals the bag in the hallway. because it's Carnival's choice to leave bags laying around and just trusting passengers not to steal.

If you can't guess I hate how they just leave them in the halls waiting to be stolen. But I don't know an efficient cheap way to replace that way so I accept it. Still would be their fault if I didn't get a bag tho. I also pack knowing I could lose a bag. Everybody should always pack enough in your carry-on so that if a bag gets lost you can still enjoy the cruise. I pack couple sets of clothes in mine and my swimsuit. I would be mad if I didn't get my luggage but I would get over it and enjoy my vacation.

Wrong. You give Carnival your bag and you don't get it back. In what world is that not their fault? It's their JOB to get your bag back to you after it's handed to them for check in. Any scenario that happens is their fault.

• It's their fault for putting it in front of the wrong door or in the wrong hall.
  • It's their fault if someone accidentally takes it because it's in front of wrong door or too close to their bags.
  • It's even their fault if a passenger steals the bag in the hallway. because it's Carnival's choice to leave bags laying around and just trusting passengers not to steal.

If you can't guess I hate how they just leave them in the halls waiting to be stolen. But I don't know an efficient cheap way to replace that way so I accept it. Still would be their fault if I didn't get a bag tho. I also pack knowing I could lose a bag. Everybody should always pack enough in your carry-on so that if a bag gets lost you can still enjoy the cruise. I pack couple sets of clothes in mine and my swimsuit. I would be mad if I didn't get my luggage but I would get over it and enjoy my vacation.

Agreed. I do not understand how so many people think it is not the cruise lines fault when they in fact delivered luggage to the wrong cabin.

Isn't one of the morals of this story, to purchase travel insurance that covers lost luggage, though here I guess it is different. We traveled on the Breeze TA a few years ago out of Barcelona. Several of us went traveling on different airlines from various airports. One of our friends flight connected through Paris de Gaulle airport. Somewhere from the US to Paris, or Paris to Bacelona her airline lost her luggage. We departed Barcelona and she was without it. We had 3 port stops along the way to the Atlantic crossing. All along she communicated with the airline who kept promising he luggage would meet her at the "next port".

We sailed away from the Canary Islands on the Atlantic crossing....no luggage for her. All along Carnival was very helpful, helping provide her with toiletries, clothes at a discount and other things....Funny thing is she traveled quite a bit internationally for work, never did the crosspack thing. Anyway, she had her luggage insured...filed a claim....she did not tell us what they paid her, but she told us she had more than enough to pay a cruise for herself and her sister!!

No one knows who fault it is

Sorry your trip was ruined but let me say this no way in hell I would let lost luggage ruin my vacation - wearing the same bra all week has never killed any woman and since they offered to wash the undies heck you could even do a little rinse in your sink I would still enjoy my vacation

It would now be the point of tending to agree to disagree

We had a bag disappear when we disembarked the ship. We went to the area with our luggage group, and all but 1 of our bags were there. We spoke to the representative there, and waited while the luggage area cleared out. We checked other groups, but it wasn't there either.

Finally, there was 1 bag left that was very similar to our missing bag, and it had a tag with a phone number on it. The Carnival rep called the number, and said they left a bag, and probably took someone else's by mistake. Believe it or not, the person yelled at the Carnival rep ( I heard them on the rep's cell phone), "We have all our bags, we didn't take someone else's, I don't know why you are calling us!" and hung up on them.

Well, 5 minutes later, the genius must have realized that the Carnival rep got their phone number from somewhere, and left a voice mail on my cell phone - my phone didn't ring (the number was on our tag), and said they had our bag, and would leave it in the parking garage, and would give it to us if we returned their bag to them that we stole! Yes, she blamed us for her taking the wrong bag.

Well, the rep wouldn't let us take someone else's bag out of the terminal (nor did we want to), so we went to the parking garage to find our luggage.

We walk around the garage, and see our bag tucked tightly between a women's legs. I go over to her, and ask her for the bag. She says she won't hand it over until she gets her bag back. She was holding our bag hostage!

I told her Carnival had her bag, she just needed to go to the terminal and get it, but she refused, saying it was our responsibility to get her bag.

So, I go to a security guard (who was in line of sight) and told him that woman over there has our bag, and won't return it. He goes over, and she initially refused to hand it over also, saying we first needed to retrieve their bag from the terminal.

The woman changed her mind when the guard said her choices were to hand the bag over, or be arrested for theft.

We then left with our bags.

On another cruise line, people let the embarkation porters tag their luggage. I always bring along preprinted tags and a little stapler (if flying to the cruise) and attach them myself just for this very reason.

A few cruises ago, we had three suitcases delivered to our room. They had luggage tags from another ship and our room number handwritten on the tag. I assume the porter put the tag on and were given or written the room number wrong. I had to take them to the elevators and give them to the staff.

About 10pm that night we got a flyer in the room with a picture of the bags so I guess they had to wait a while.

I don't think I would blame Carnival. They did their best to find the owners.

Mistakes do happen.

After reading this thread, out of curiosity, I went to the Carnival site and looked up "lost luggage policy". Here it is:

"Carnival’s maximum liability for lost or damaged bags is $50.00 USD per bag ($100.00 USD maximum per stateroom). All receipts must be submitted to Guest Care within 30 days after debarkation."

Whether this is deemed "fair" or not by anyone reading it, it IS what we all agree to before cruising. Another good reason to purchase travel insurance.

We had a bag disappear when we disembarked the ship. We went to the area with our luggage group' date=' and all but 1 of our bags were there. We spoke to the representative there, and waited while the luggage area cleared out. We checked other groups, but it wasn't there either.

Finally, there was 1 bag left that was very similar to our missing bag, and it had a tag with a phone number on it. The Carnival rep called the number, and said they left a bag, and probably took someone else's by mistake. Believe it or not, the person yelled at the Carnival rep ( I heard them on the rep's cell phone), "We have all our bags, we didn't take someone else's, I don't know why you are calling us!" and hung up on them.

[/quote']

This story is why bags don't get turned in until the last day. These type of people would bring in someone else's bag from the hall, realize it's not theirs, blame Carnival for it, then leave the bag in the closet or under bed because it's not their job to find the owner. Then they would only turn it in if they happened to need the storage space although I'm sure it would only go out in the hall and not actually get turned in. I don't understand some people.

I have a solution to this lost bag problem. Someone needs to invent a device with a timer which you can set for, say 8 hours. After the timer elapses, there is a loud beep every 15 seconds or so. Like the smoke detector in the house.

There is no way that bag is going to stay "lost" very long with that annoying beep!

• Like 1

I have a solution to this lost bag problem. Someone needs to invent a device with a timer which you can set for, say 8 hours. After the timer elapses, there is a loud beep every 15 seconds or so. Like the smoke detector in the house.

There is no way that bag is going to stay "lost" very long with that annoying beep!

That's a great idea!

First off, I am sorry this happened to yall. I know I would be highly upset as well if this had happened to me. None of us truly knows what happened to the luggage. But after what the outcome was and knowing how society has become, I would bet someone jack wad took your stuff as a joke. I have been on 23 cruises, and have learned a few things here. I now will always take a couple changes of clothes in my carryon. Never done this before, but an extremely bright idea. Now I have never seen any in the hallways, and there probably isn't any in the hallways. Did you ask carnival about any cameras that might have picked up in the hallways to see how the luggage left and got back in that position. I figured if there were cameras that it would have already been checked. But just checking, I know carnival has cameras in certain areas but not sure they have any in the hallways. Anyways like I said that situation would be horrible and I am sorry that happened to you.

After reading this thread, out of curiosity, I went to the Carnival site and looked up "lost luggage policy". Here it is:

"Carnival’s maximum liability for lost or damaged bags is $50.00 USD per bag ($100.00 USD maximum per stateroom). All receipts must be submitted to Guest Care within 30 days after debarkation."

Whether this is deemed "fair" or not by anyone reading it, it IS what we all agree to before cruising. Another good reason to purchase travel insurance.

But the word "misplaced" is not present....if a bag is "lost" then "found" how could there be a claim?

I think that might be a problem in 2018. The entire ship would probably be evacuated. :o Other than that one small issue it would probably work though.:)

But the word "misplaced" is not present....if a bag is "lost" then "found" how could there be a claim?
I don't suppose there could be a claim in that event...technically. The point is though that we all agree to a maximum of $50 per bag or $100 per stateroom compensation when we cruise, so asking for anything more likely won't get you anywhere. I'm not saying it is fair or not fair, just that we agree to it. Now on occasion Carnival does go beyond what they are legally bound to do to compensate passengers, but it is up to them whether or not they do it.

edit: I've rethought this. If something is lost for a period of time and then found, it was still lost for the period of time the owner didn't know where it was. And in this case neither did Carnival know where the bag was. Finding something doesn't negate that it was lost. I would think the OP would be able to file a lost luggage claim. That's just my best guess though. I'm not a lawyer (thankfully).

Edited by Towel Critter

I think that might be a problem in 2018. The entire ship would probably be evacuated. :o Other than that one small issue it would probably work though.:)

Ok, not a loud beep. How about a recordable message like: "help, I am lost, please contact my owner in stateroom 7555"

• Like 1

We had a bag disappear when we disembarked the ship. We went to the area with our luggage group' date=' and all but 1 of our bags were there. We spoke to the representative there, and waited while the luggage area cleared out. We checked other groups, but it wasn't there either.

Well, 5 minutes later, the genius must have realized that the Carnival rep got their phone number from somewhere, and left a voice mail on my cell phone - my phone didn't ring (the number was on our tag), and said they had our bag, and would leave it in the parking garage, and would give it to us if we returned their bag to them that we stole! Yes, she blamed us for her taking the wrong bag.

Well, the rep wouldn't let us take someone else's bag out of the terminal (nor did we want to), so we went to the parking garage to find our luggage.

We walk around the garage, and see our bag tucked tightly between a women's legs. I go over to her, and ask her for the bag. She says she won't hand it over until she gets her bag back. She was holding our bag hostage!

I told her Carnival had her bag, she just needed to go to the terminal and get it, but she refused, saying it was our responsibility to get her bag.

So, I go to a security guard (who was in line of sight) and told him that woman over there has our bag, and won't return it. He goes over, and she initially refused to hand it over also, saying we first needed to retrieve their bag from the terminal.

The woman changed her mind when the guard said her choices were to hand the bag over, or be arrested for theft.

We then left with our bags.[/quote']

Wow cant fix stupid