MSC Seaview delivery delayed slightly

cshim

Hi CSHIM

This is the first I've heard! We are booked for 9th June sailing, for one night. I have just been looking at flights - which are SO expensive for 3 people so if this is cancelled, at least I will get a refund for the sailing! If this is true, I feel sorry for those that have flights already booked and paid for. I imagine MSC only refunding for the cruise.

I'm just waiting for confirmation from my travel agent. Luckily, I have booked Seaview for 2 nights in November (yacht club first time and really good deal), so plenty of time for her to be ready!

Were you booked onto this inaugural sailing?

OMG.. I am happy and sad at the same time. I am glad that the ship builders & MSC are taking the time to do it right, perhaps learning from the Seaside, but I have been so looking forward to my cruise on the 19th of June and hope that isn't cancelled as well!

Looks like the story is True ... Though reading about their plans it seems like MSC are putting out their usual story about it being the shipyards fault! ...

MSC Cruises plans to show off the ship at a festive June 9 inaugural in Genoa.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/msc-seaview-will-be-delivered-a-few-days-later-than-planned.html

We have booked the sailing the 10. Th of june from Genoa. We are so glad that We now Will Be the first gunsts to board the ship and We Will Be in Genoa the Night before where We Can follow the christening from the rooftop of out hotel. Have booked a year ago so We are Very lucky. Feel sad for the people WHO now have a canceled Cruise.

Yes it must be very frustrating and sad for those that have to change their plans. I would love so much to see the christening in person but will still be working :( I am keeping my fingers that my cruise on the 19th goes as planned.

Looks like the story is True ... Though reading about their plans it seems like MSC are putting out their usual story about it being the shipyards fault! ...

MSC Cruises plans to show off the ship at a festive June 9 inaugural in Genoa.

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/msc-seaview-will-be-delivered-a-few-days-later-than-planned.html

You'll also find this story just next door on Cruise Critic: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=8619

We were really annoyed when the June 10th inaugral was superceded by the other cruise, and missed out on being able to change due to difficulties with our TA

Unfortunately our flight to Genoa doesn't land until 10.30 so we'll miss the christening

I have spoken to MSC UK today as I booked in the Yacht club from 10th June. MSC UK say they only know the inaugural is cancelled but that amounts to only a handful of days delay in the shipyard. I have not seen that the ship has yet started extensive sea trials so that must be a worry and wonder if later cruises will soon be cancelled.

Even if 10th June goes ahead, the other concern is what happens to the official MSC guests due on the inaugural? Having been on the equivalent Meraviglia cruise last year there were lots of MSC officials and its own guests that took up passenger cabins . Even if the 10th June sailing goes ahead, is it also possible that some booked passengers will be told their booking is cancelled to accommodate official MSC reps and guests? The Yacht club could be a prime target.

I have asked the question and need some quick answers. It is only a month away but I leave the UK much earlier than that as travelling on another cruise ship first. :confused::confused:

clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

I have not seen that the ship has yet started extensive sea trials so that must be a worry and wonder if later cruises will soon be cancelled.

MSC Seaview was on a 6-day sea trial just a couple of weeks ago (end of April)

in the Adriatic Sea.

You have a lot of concerns and you assume quite a few things... just relax and

let MSC handle it. Enjoy your cruise.

Gerry ... The ship has been out on sea trials recently, my friend who works at Fincantieri was on it, it should be due to go out again at some point, sadly a 19 year old has died of crush injuries in the dry dock where the Costa Asia is being built and a strike has been called, not sure how long it will last.

MSC is being quite quiet on what the issue is, but are saying its only the 1st trip cancelled. She did complete her sea trials and according to social media posts they went well. Hard to say what is going on, but I think if it was something really big MSC would not have just pushed the dates ahead by only a few.

Imagine my surprise when I received a call yesterday at 12:33pm telling me that our 3 day roundtrip from Barcelona on the Seaview was cancelled. There are 15 family members booked, traveling from Hawaii (active duty Marine and his family), Florida and England. Was in shock when i got the call yesterday, gal (sadly I forgot her name) said they would reimburse cruise, any and all travel changes as well as %50 off next MSC cruise. Fast forward to today, never received email that was promised and have been on the phone for an hour at this point. No one is aware that ship is delayed. Back on hold again, wish me luck.

I have also been affected by the cancellation, I was due to sail from Marseille on the 9th of June for a 7 day cruise. Obviously I was extremely disappointed when I received the e-mail yesterday morning. However, sh*t happens and there is nothing I can do to change the situation.

I wasn’t going to post re the cancelation, however the above post has prompted me to. I known every persons experience is different, what I post here is my personal experience.

I can not speak highly enough about the way MSC has handled this situation with me. They have done everything in their power to try and assist me. I have not had any problems getting through to them va the general contact number, they have called me back a number of times and they have corresponded with me via e-mail. My refund is in hand and I have already booked a replacement cruise. I really feel for the staff as they are having to deal with thousands of calls following the cancellation.

I feel really sorry for those of you who have had your cruise cancelled, ( We are booked for November) However when booking/ buying anything Brand New be that a cruise, restaurant or even a house there will be a chance it wont be finished on time and I guess thats a risk you take when booking???? Its good to hear MSC are dealing with it promptly

Despite my concerns re the delay also wish to compliment UK customer services. Had changes to cruises and cancellations in the past. Always looked after by them, they get back with queries even if they have to ask head office abroad and never been out of pocket. Also thanks to those who updated me on sea trials.

Spoke to my friend at the shipyard earlier, the strike continues after the death of a 19 years old worker was crushed to death in the dry dock of Costa Asia, wonder if this is the reason for the delayed delivery.

Spoke to my friend at the shipyard earlier, the strike continues after the death of a 19 years old worker was crushed to death in the dry dock of Costa Asia, wonder if this is the reason for the delayed delivery.

Costa Asia? So that's the brand but not the ship name.

Regardless, if it's the shipyard's fault, MSC will be paid by the shipyard for not honoring the original contract

I haven't received a call or email from MSC yet regarding my cancellation (Roundtrip Marseille June 6 to June 9). Thank you for the members who posted information. I would never have found out without this forum. I find it very inconsiderate that MSC knew the cruise is definitely cancelled prior to May 8 and today still no word from them (booked through MSC USA). It's a shame that a majority of the passengers are unaware at this time unless they read the forum.

I have a flight booked to Marseille (Party of 7) from the US and if they are not able to refund my flight it is proving very difficult to find a hotel there as most are fully booked without being 10+ miles from the center.

Best of luck to those affected in finding other arrangements. It is relieving to read Ashling's post and the help MSC provides but we have yet to hear from them.

Edited by transientoftheseas