Ushuaia to Capetown ?

shipsmail

Hi Archipelago, we did it on Silverseas (Silver Cloud ) cruise line, dress was fairly relaxed so a definite NO ffor really formal dining/ nights.

The Captains Cocktail night was the most “formal” , remember these are expedition cruises definitely  not your who’s who in the zoo! The passengers are dedicated adventurers who don’t fuss or compete with others!

Waterproof Boots are a must & can be pre hired, however research my choice > BOGS boots 100% waterproof, rated to -30°c, non slip & light weight, excellent for this trip.

Some landing were “dry” so take Goretex hiking boots, they were adequate, you will be guided by crew on best option on the day. 

Definitely take waterproof over pants, you will get wet on beach landings or during snow/rain & windy weather I have COLOMBIA brand “Hightail “ really light weight overpants, rated really high, mine were for women but they have mens too. 

Long side leg zips are important to get them  on/ off easily.

The provided ships SS jackets are phenomenal we’ve used them since at -38°c with our own down jacket worn under.

Uphill hill hiking is likely at several locations but it’s up to you, some folk we’re not as able bodied and assistance was provided by the Enhancement Team others simply stayed on board. 

Zodiac entry/exit will be the most challenging as it’s subject to ocean swells, winds & wet weather, so be prepared 

Be careful  we had one older  guy who used a cane who fell  “ overboard” during disembarkation from the ship at Tristan De Cunha,  there were very high sea swells on an otherwise prefect sunny day ☀️

The landing was abandoned initially whilst the ship was repositioned fortunately disembarcation finally went ahead & was uneventful - lucky to land! 

Remember this is an expedition trip & obviously all landings are subject to the weather, we outran hideous weather for 15 days, just getting in/out ahead of it, great team effort!  

The Ponant was 4 days ahead of us & struck some hideous weather,

It’s a really busy itinerary & all those sea days were just a tiny blimp, never a dull moment over the entire trip!

The Farewell party by the pool was quite a surprise when everyone let their hair down & despite cold conditions some guests went in fully clothed,  quite a hoot in high rolling seas -  take care

Cheers

Antarctica19

14 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

What were some of your favorites in South Georgia?

Grytviken is very important for seeing the history, both St. Andrew‘s Bay and Gold Bay were the highlights for nature. Of course all depends on the weather. 

162DE98A-A7D5-4C0A-BCAA-8E1DDEB4C659.jpeg

33C4C45C-7175-451E-878A-90EC8C7B233E.jpeg

D27449BC-C260-4E31-94F9-F191F08FD1EC.jpeg

• Like 3

Booked this Silver Cloud expedition voyage Ushuaia to Capetown today.

Happy that I will get use of my Cloud July Arctic voyage BOG boots and wet weather gear again.

Will start a roll call for those interested Silversea cruise critics.   Hope Petros (now the HD on board the Cloud) will be on board for this voyage too.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for your kind words and your Silver Cloud USH to Capetown well wishes turtlemichael.  

On board the Muse now is a superstar Silversea Guest Relations crew member Ryan--he normally works the night shift (11pm -7am, I met him on the Silver Cloud Arctic voyage in June).  He will still be on board in February when you board the Muse.  Ryan let me know the leadership now on board is Capt Marco Sangiocomo  and Paolo is the HD.  In Febraury, most likely you will have Capt Zanello and Flavio as HD.

Wishing y'all Fair Winds and Following seas for your terrific February 2020 Sydney to Sydney Silver Muse voyage.  

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WesW said:

Thanks very much for your kind words and your Silver Cloud USH to Capetown well wishes turtlemichael.  

On board the Muse now is a superstar Silversea Guest Relations crew member Ryan--he normally works the night shift (11pm -7am, I met him on the Silver Cloud Arctic voyage in June).  He will still be on board in February when you board the Muse.  Ryan let me know the leadership now on board is Capt Marco Sangiocomo  and Paolo is the HD.  In Febraury, most likely you will have Capt Zanello and Flavio as HD.

Wishing y'all Fair Winds and Following seas for your terrific February 2020 Sydney to Sydney Silver Muse voyage.  

Flavio spent some time earlier this year on Whisper during the World Cruise when Norman of course was the HD.  We had a couple of dinners with him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/15/2019 at 4:25 AM, WesW said:

Booked this Silver Cloud expedition voyage Ushuaia to Capetown today.

Happy that I will get use of my Cloud July Arctic voyage BOG boots and wet weather gear again.

Will start a roll call for those interested Silversea cruise critics.   Hope Petros (now the HD on board the Cloud) will be on board for this voyage too.

Hi Wes

I'm doing this cruise too...I can't find your roll call for it...can you pls send me the link?

Cheers

Jennifer

• Like 1