Steakhouse reservations. This is getting weird.

Ok, so I have requested Steakhouse reservations for four people at 6:30-7pm on 3 different nights on our cruise. (Don't want to eat there 3 times, just trying to find one night that we can get a reservation at a time that works for us. After each request was rejected, I've tried a different night to see if that would work.)

In each case, I have received a reply that they cannot give us a reservation at that time, but they can accommodate us at 5:30pm.

After the first reservation request was rejected, I emailed back and asked if any other time is available, maybe 7:30? No response.

Keep in mind that our cruise is still two full months away! We aren't trying to make a last minute booking.

Why is the Steakhouse trying to continually push us to the 5:30 time slot? Is it possible that they are completely and totally booked at every other possible time frame, on every night we have tried, two months in advance? Is the Steakhouse that popular?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what is going on with this. It just seems weird that every night the 5:30 slot is the only thing they can offer, and is the same on every night.

We would prefer not to dine quite that early. Any thoughts?

Ok, so maybe I'm wrong. It has been several years since we cruised Carnival. But I do remember them pushing the Steakhouse hard once on board, truly last minute reservations. I didn't think two months was cutting it close. It just seemed weird to me that EVERY night we have requested is unavailable, EXCEPT for that 5:30 time slot. Seems oddly coincidental.

So if they are trying to get two seatings, what time would the second seating be? They have only offered us 5:30 pm which seems really early for most people. Or do most people commonly eat their evening meal that early?

So if they are trying to get two seatings, what time would the second seating be? They have only offered us 5:30 pm which seems really early for most people. Or do most people commonly eat their evening meal that early?

See for our family 5:30 is ideal for us we prefer to eat in the earlier part of the evening - if you can't reach them before you set sail go there as soon as you get on board and hopefully they can accommodate you

I also find this extremely weird, sold out? I have been to the Steakhouse 10+ times on 5-6 ships and it has never been filled to capacity, never. We have never been denied a time request either. We usually get a response within 48 hours. Maybe requesting multiple days in advance confused them. Not only boarding day but several times we saw the Steakhouse hawking their steaks, doubt they would need to do this if they were sold out. During our 2 week outing on the Conquest last month, one night we did not like the MDR menu, never eat in the buffet, and went up to the Steakhouse at about 8 without a reservation. I would say the restaurant was a little more than 1/2 full. We asked if we could go to the bar, have a drink, and be seated, she said no problem. Dinner was fabulous as usual.

I also find this extremely weird, sold out? I have been to the Steakhouse 10+ times on 5-6 ships and it has never been filled to capacity, never. We have never been denied a time request either. We usually get a response within 48 hours. Maybe requesting multiple days in advance confused them. Not only boarding day but several times we saw the Steakhouse hawking their steaks, doubt they would need to do this if they were sold out. During our 2 week outing on the Conquest last month, one night we did not like the MDR menu, never eat in the buffet, and went up to the Steakhouse at about 8 without a reservation. I would say the restaurant was a little more than 1/2 full. We asked if we could go to the bar, have a drink, and be seated, she said no problem. Dinner was fabulous as usual.

Agreed. That's my point. On the Breeze, we saw them hawking the Steakhouse hard, and you wouldn't think they'd have to do that if their reservations are so full. Granted, that was several years ago. But still, it seems odd that the ONLY time they can offer us is that early.

Just to be clear, we did not ask for 3 different nights at one time. I asked for a reservation at 7:00 on one night. AFTER that was denied (but counteroffered at 5:30), I went back online a day later and asked for a different night at 7:00. After THAT reservation was denied (but counteroffered at 5:30), I went back online yet again to request a third date, this time at 6:30. And yet again I received a denial, but an offer to accommodate us at 5:30.

I think Bury Me At Sea may be right. They may be trying to do two seatings. They want to get us in there early so they can get us out by 7:30 or so and turn that table around for a second seating at maybe 8pm. It's a drag though. Based on our prior experience on the Breeze, I had not expected it to be such a hassle to get a normal dining time.

I guarantee they aren’t sold out. We eat at the steakhouse multiple times on a cruise and have never had a problem getting reservations the day of and in many cases just walking in. They are simply trying to get you into an early time slot because those are less desirable and don’t fill to capacity that early.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, so I have requested Steakhouse reservations for four people at 6:30-7pm on 3 different nights on our cruise. (Don't want to eat there 3 times, just trying to find one night that we can get a reservation at a time that works for us. After each request was rejected, I've tried a different night to see if that would work.)

In each case, I have received a reply that they cannot give us a reservation at that time, but they can accommodate us at 5:30pm.

After the first reservation request was rejected, I emailed back and asked if any other time is available, maybe 7:30? No response.

Keep in mind that our cruise is still two full months away! We aren't trying to make a last minute booking.

Why is the Steakhouse trying to continually push us to the 5:30 time slot? Is it possible that they are completely and totally booked at every other possible time frame, on every night we have tried, two months in advance? Is the Steakhouse that popular?

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what is going on with this. It just seems weird that every night the 5:30 slot is the only thing they can offer, and is the same on every night.

We would prefer not to dine quite that early. Any thoughts?

Maybe it's not available.

There are definitely no set seatings, so the 2 seatings theory is mute. One night we ate around 8:30, it was empty, maybe 1/4 full.

I have to agree that the booking for the Steakhouse is at times head scratching.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sail the Horizon in September, booked the cruise in early April and right away put in requests for Chef's Table and Steakhouse. Took two weeks to hear back, but heard back for both. I think 7:00 pm for steakhouse. Don't yet know what night Chef's Table will be.

I always make reservations in advance. Sometimes I receive a confirmation, sometimes I don't. In October on the Valor, I made reservations (last minute, because we booked two weeks out) and received a confirmation. Showed up only to be told "hmmm... we don't have any reservation for you". They were able to accommodate us, so it wasn't an issue.

I personally think it is very odd that it would be sold out/fully booked for dinner. It's never been packed when I go.

My point is, the reservation system/email is unreliable (in my opinion, and from my experience).

JMO, but, I highly doubt that it is sold out. I've been on multiple Carnival cruises. I've been to the steakhouse on The Liberty, The Breeze and The Freedom. They were never filled to capacity - not even close. I've walked by the steakhouse, casually. Again, more dead than busy. Maybe that's part of the ambiance -not too busy and never really seated near others (even though the few that were on The Breeze were closely seated).

IMO, try to arrange an acceptable reservation once you board. Maybe they'll work with you in person.

I always make our reservations much further in advance. Our legend cruise this summer was made back in January. Just last night I made steakhouse reservations for our Horizon cruise in May 2019. Over a year out. The option was there on "My Cruise Manager" when looking over stuff. It opens at 5:30 and offered time slots every half hour to choose from. I chose 6:00. The same as our dining room time. We eat between 6:30 & 7:00 at home regularly. Sometimes 6:00 if I can get it cooked by then after work.

Count me in as another "perplexed" by the Steakhouse "reservation system". We pretty much never make advanced reservations for any of the specialty restaurants, SH included, pre-curise. We'll make them onboard at the earliest, have had over all good luck just walking in sometimes. As folks not all that enamored with the MDR, the SH is a great choice for us on "elegant nights" as its usually empty and can walk right in, at least it's worked for us several times that way.

However, a couple cruises back, we attempted to make SH reservations for a particular night of that cruise, best they could do was 8pm...a bit later than we wanted, but took it. I suggested to my wife, lets try again showing up about 30 minutes prior to our reservation time, something we had done in the past. We showed up at the SH just a bit before 7:30....many empty tables. Asked the hostess could be seat early, nope, we are booked, you'll have to come back at your reserved time....really....didn't push it, we came back at 8. Shockingly, all the same empty tables were still...empty...maybe a couple more. While we had our dinner, there was ONE seating of a couple near us...that was it....none of the tables were used during the course of our meal and a short while after....I know some people like to dine late, but that seemed not the case...place was just not busy. I posted that here..some thought...maybe they WERE all reserved and were no shows, someone suggested they are not staffed for a full dining room in the SH. Would be curious to see how full the reservations got were there a fee to cancel or not show up.

I’ve never booked in advance and have never had a problem getting a reservation upon boarding. Now if you wait until day 4 to make a reservation that may be a different story, but just head there once you board......should be no issue