Romaine Lettuce on Ships

Mr&MrsBee

I'm a helluva lot more concerned with catching something from those people who don't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom. And those special snowflakes who ignore the antibacterial gel at the entrance to every restaurant. SMH.

This! People have a great tendency to worry more about the things that are rare but highly publicized. Plane crashes more than auto accidents and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a helluva lot more concerned with catching something from those people who don't wash their hands before leaving the bathroom. And those special snowflakes who ignore the antibacterial gel at the entrance to every restaurant. SMH.

Right on!

This! People have a great tendency to worry more about the things that are rare but highly publicized. Plane crashes more than auto accidents and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or the number of cases of e coli from produce compared to the number of cruise ship Noro Virus cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Count me as one of those who will avoid Romaine lettuce for the foreseeable future.

Only two nights ago, the evening news reported that no one is 100 per cent sure where the affected lettuce is coming from. CDC recommended to avoid all romaine for the time being.

It is true that washing does not remove the bacteria and yes, more people do contact a norovirus on ships than e-coli, but e- coli can cause long term effects and even be deadly.

For awhile I will be eating the many other varieties of lettuce greens.

Do you folks REALLY think that somebody at celebrity is actually going to say "we don't know where our romaine is coming from so maybe it has e-coli" ??? And how would a travel agent know anything about this?

I get that some people are worried. But I doubt that anyone or anything is going to ease your mind. If you're that worried about it, just don't eat it.

(y)(y)(y)

What is the expectation here??? "Yes, today we are serving romaine with e-coli dressing!" What do you really think they are going to say?

Now I am worried; a bit of research finds this

Fresh produce can be contaminated by physical, chemical, and biological hazards. Physical hazards could include dust, sand, wood and metal pieces. Chemical hazards include chemicals in packaging and/or pesticides used on the farm. Biological hazards include microbiological contaminants such as Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes and other pathogenic microorganisms in the soil.
and this:

Globally, many fresh produce linked outbreaks occurred over the last few years including an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 after eating contaminated packaged baby spinach in EU countries (2006); an E. coli outbreak due to contaminated cucumber in Germany and other EU countries (2011); an outbreak of Cryptosporidiuminfection traced to bagged salads in the UK (2012); an outbreak of L. monocytogenes due to contaminated prepacked salad products in the USA (2016); and a Salmonella outbreak linked to lettuce in pre-packaged salads in Australia (2016).
Add in this:

Every time you sit down to a meal containing meat, eggs or dairy products you’re dining on known carcinogens, bacteria, and other contaminants that can accumulate in your body and remain there for years. Animal products are loaded with bacteria, antibiotics, hormones, dioxins, and a host of other toxins that can cause serious health problems in humans.
and I think Oreos might be a good idea. On the other hand, I seem to have survived the last 70 odd years without any serious ill effects, so maybe I will just enjoy and appreciate the efforts of those hard-working chefs slaving down in the galley to serve up attractive and tasty meals.

Count me as one of those who will avoid Romaine lettuce for the foreseeable future.

Only two nights ago, the evening news reported that no one is 100 per cent sure where the affected lettuce is coming from. CDC recommended to avoid all romaine for the time being.

It is true that washing does not remove the bacteria and yes, more people do contact a norovirus on ships than e-coli, but e- coli can cause long term effects and even be deadly.

For awhile I will be eating the many other varieties of lettuce greens.

I don't think that's what the CDC has said. What they've said is to avoid all romaine lettuce unless you are sure it's NOT coming from the Yuma, AZ region. So if the source is unknown, avoid it. The good news is that the Yuma-area romaine should be out of the supply chain pretty soon.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2018/05/10/safe-eat-salad-news-e-coli-yuma-romaine/599093002/

I don't think that's what the CDC has said. What they've said is to avoid all romaine lettuce unless you are sure it's NOT coming from the Yuma, AZ region. So if the source is unknown, avoid it. The good news is that the Yuma-area romaine should be out of the supply chain pretty soon.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2018/05/10/safe-eat-salad-news-e-coli-yuma-romaine/599093002/

And all food brought on cruise ships in the US must be from documented and certified sources, so the source would be known.