“Wild side of Cozumel”

moongal

I have been researching what to do when we are in Cozumel and the “wild side” seems very intriguing.

I am thinking of hiring a taxi for the day and just skipping around exploring the east side of Cozumel.

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any experience with hiring a taxi for the day? Is it better to go through a tour operator or can you just hire a taxi for the day at the taxi stand? Is it safe?

If anyone has explored the wild side, do any of you have any recommendations on where to go? Is Punta Sur part of the “wild side”.

I want to go somewhere where I am guaranteed to see beautiful white sand with CLEAR blue water. I’ve been to Nachi, and Fury Beach on a Carnival excursion, and some other beach that I don’t recall what it’s name was but at all of them the water was cloudy and seemed dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I normally hire a driver for a day on the wild side... Look up Black Hat Cozumel on FB, and send him a message. I normally start at Mezcalitos and head South from there. There are several little roadside bars all the way down the coast. A bit further down is Punta Morena, then Coconuts, the highest point on the island, and often busy. If you're easily offended, stay away from the "Family Albums" lying around...

(If you want to swim Punta Morena or Chen Rio are your best bets... The surf is much rougher on this side of the island, and yes there is some seaweed in many places. Not the calm blue water of the West side.)

El Pescador and Chen Rio are next. A bit further down is Playa Bonita. Looks pretty rough, but good food and drinks.

Still further South is one of my favorites, Bar Miami. AKA CoCo Cabana, AKA 25 Hour bar, AKA Welcome to Miami... Great Mojitos and margaritas.

And finally, Rasta Bar AKA Bob Marley bar, AKA Freedom in Paradise. Good coconut shrimp or whole fried fish and cold beer.

Right afterwards is Punta Sur at the far South tip of the island.

We regularly tour round the east side with ToursPlaza. If you research in advance and know where you want to go you can easily pick up a taxi from dispatch for a set number of hours but if you want guidance and an English speaking driver it is best to book in advance from Black Hat or ToursPlaza.

Sid covers most of main bars. Some good stretches of beach on east side, notably opposite El Diablo (or whatever it is presently called) but ocean swimming will be limited due to currents and riptides. Seaweed will depend on current ocean conditions (it is the predominant side for seaweed, like Cancun - very bad when the Caribbean sargassum condition was bad).

Unfortunately since the “old” coast road is now bikes only you cannot get as close to the ocean for long stretches of highway ( compared to previously) but it is still enjoyable and when you get out a various points you can appreciate the wild side.

We have been both ways round the island. If you actually intend to stop at Punta Sur and explore I would do that first since you have to pay an admission and you will be able to determine how much time you have left.

Thank you so much for all the information! Just one more question, do the drivers sit and wait for you while you walk along the beach or swim? I wouldn’t want them to leave us there as I would probably be worrying if they might not come back. If we stop to eat, do I need to buy lunch for the driver? I’m not sure what the etiquette is. Is asking them to stay while we swim or walk along the beach ok?

Thanks!

Thank you so much for all the information! Just one more question, do the drivers sit and wait for you while you walk along the beach or swim? I wouldn’t want them to leave us there as I would probably be worrying if they might not come back. If we stop to eat, do I need to buy lunch for the driver? I’m not sure what the etiquette is. Is asking them to stay while we swim or walk along the beach ok?

Thanks!

We have toured many times with drivers from ToursPlaza. They will sit and wait while you enjoy the beach locations alone or they will stay near you if you want help with purchases from roadside vendors - your call. They try to be helpful but not intrusive. We have invited some to lunch and have enjoyed chatting about local life; and we have taken lunch alone if we have eaten at a beach bar where we have been spending some time alone. Most places have an area where the taxi drivers chat together.

You pay for the tour (or a regular taxi) at the end of the day so they are unlikely to leave you.

Yes, the driver waits for you, whether at the beach / bar / or restaurant... I have offered to buy lunch for my driver with Black Hat, but he's such a nice guy, he always refuses. Plus, I believe a lot of the places give him free drinks / food because he brings business their way often...

• 3 months later...
I have been researching what to do when we are in Cozumel and the “wild side” seems very intriguing.

I am thinking of hiring a taxi for the day and just skipping around exploring the east side of Cozumel.

Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have any experience with hiring a taxi for the day? Is it better to go through a tour operator or can you just hire a taxi for the day at the taxi stand? Is it safe?

If anyone has explored the wild side, do any of you have any recommendations on where to go? Is Punta Sur part of the “wild side”.

I want to go somewhere where I am guaranteed to see beautiful white sand with CLEAR blue water. I’ve been to Nachi, and Fury Beach on a Carnival excursion, and some other beach that I don’t recall what it’s name was but at all of them the water was cloudy and seemed dirty.

Yes in 2016 we went with Tours Plaza, I highly recommend them and the wild side. Playa Bonita for lunch was excellent. The whole day was excellent!

Sent from my iPhone using ForumsIMG_3575.thumb.jpg.617371ef9689d89063cdce477c3b637b.jpg