Question re tax on Mediterranean cruise

triplestar

I know that there is a tax on goods bought on board whilst sailing in Spanish & Italian waters. My query is does that apply to shore excursions purchased on board as opposed to those purchased online prior to the cruise. The second question is we will be stopping in Monte Carlo & Albania will a tax apply when in these ports. I know that there have been previous answers re tax, but would appreciate current knowledge Many Thanks

I was on Regent this past fall and there were no taxes collected.

I am not sure what Oceania does, but Albania and Monte Carlo are not EU, so it should be all right.

I know that in the past they have charged the taxes to drinks and gift shops, but do not know about tours. Be prepared.

The taxing is not a simple thing to explain. Will try to give an overview but, details can only be found thru a Google search. The tax as far as I know is only for tangible items like merchandize, drinks, etc. and not for excursions. Basically the taxes are when in the waters of the country except, if NOT leaving the EU, the taxes are for the entire cruise. Stopping at a non EU port taxes only collected in Spanish and Italian waters.

Probably no taxes on Regent is probably only taxes there on gift shop purchases, alcohol is included. Have read that if you embark in Spain or Italy and buy the drinks package on board, it will be taxed but, purchasing before the cruise not so but, again depends on a non EU Port or not. This limits using OBC for the package. As Carol said, be careful where and when you spend and hope you touch at least one non EU Port.

Not a simple subject.

We were on Riviera last November in both EU and non EU ports but not in Spain. I never saw any sign of tax being collected for anything...anywhere.

Right now Gerry, as far as I am aware, it is only Spain and Italy in Europe and Brazil in South America with this VAT tax on ships. As I said, having at least a single non EU Port on the cruise eliminates the tax for the entire cruise to only in Spanish and Italian waters. Assuming you had the drinks package so no tax there and if not shopping in the shops, no tax there. Not sure if the tax is applicable to the Spa but, might just be.