AMEX Offer: Spend $500 on Carnival, get $100 statement credit

gtalum

Can I use my AMEX for $500 towards my balance and pay the difference with my Carnival MasterCard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no reason that that should not work. As long as you have downloaded it, spending the $500 should work. Nothing says that you have to use AMEX for the entire fare.

I was just able to add it to my Skymiles Amex. However, we just booked 2 weeks ago with the reduced deposit sale and I don't really want to plunk down another $500 already. Hmmmm.

ETA: My deposit was made within the timeframe of the offer, I wonder if I'll get the credit anyway, even though I added it to my card after the fact.

Two things on your update:

1. If that deposit you mention was less than $500, then you would not get the credit even if you had the offer added to your card prior to making the deposit with your Amex card ($500 is the minimum) and

2. If the offer was not added to your card prior to making the deposit, you will not get the credit retroactively.

:(

I was just able to add it to my Skymiles Amex. However, we just booked 2 weeks ago with the reduced deposit sale and I don't really want to plunk down another $500 already. Hmmmm.

ETA: My deposit was made within the timeframe of the offer, I wonder if I'll get the credit anyway, even though I added it to my card after the fact.

If it wasn't added before you made the deposit, it almost certainly won't be counted.

I would add that normally I'm with you 100%, and have no desire to ever pay for anything before I have to. That said, a $100 credit is surely worth it. Look at it from this angle: there's no other sure bet that will pay you anything near $100 for investing the net $400 elsewhere until your final payment is due. :D

Can I use my AMEX for $500 towards my balance and pay the difference with my Carnival MasterCard?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, you can pay with any card at any time up to the final payment deadline. It doesn't all have to be on one card.

Also, keep an eye on your AMEX offers, as this one pops up at least a couple of times a year. If it pops up again before your final payment is due, you can make another $500 payment and get another $100 credit.

Added the special to my card. Made a $500 payment. I'm patiently waiting for the email I've seen many state they receive right after payment is made. I have not received that email. :o

I haven't received mine. The $500 appeared on my May 14 statement, but I haven't paid it yet. I assume it has to be paid in full before the credit is given? Since the offer expires on May 31, do I have to pay my statement in full (not just $500) before then? Final AMEX payment date is June 7.

Roz

I haven't received mine. The $500 appeared on my May 14 statement, but I haven't paid it yet. I assume it has to be paid in full before the credit is given? Since the offer expires on May 31, do I have to pay my statement in full (not just $500) before then? Final AMEX payment date is June 7.

Roz

No it doesn’t have anything to do with it being paid or when the payment on your AMEX card is due. Since it already hit your statement, it sounds like you didn’t add the offer to your card before you made the payment to Carnival or it wasn’t a qualifying purchase.

For the sake of comparison, I made the $500 payment to Carnival on May 11, got a confirmation email from AMEX acknowledging the purchase and the offer almost immediately after, and the $100 credit showed up on my AMEX account on May 13.

No it doesn’t have anything to do with it being paid or when the payment on your AMEX card is due. Since it already hit your statement, it sounds like you didn’t add the offer to your card before you made the payment to Carnival or it wasn’t a qualifying purchase.

I definitely added it to my card before I called my TA and had her process the payment. Don't know why it wouldn't be a qualifying payment because HAL is under the Carnival umbrella. Hmmm.....I may have to call AMEX directly.

Roz

I definitely added it to my card before I called my TA and had her process the payment. Don't know why it wouldn't be a qualifying payment because HAL is under the Carnival umbrella. Hmmm.....I may have to call AMEX directly.

Roz

I’m not sure then. Unless it was applied to shore excursions, drink packages, etc. If the charge showed as”Reservations” billed by HAL and not the TA, then it should be fine. I would call if it all seems in order.

HAL is explicitly mentioned as eligible for the offer, so you should have gotten it as long as it was applied directly to HAL as a payment on your reservation (as firemanbobswife mentioned, gratuities, shore excursions, and drink packages don't count).

I read the find print in the offer, and it specifically says it's for $500 towards booking a cruise. I wonder if that's the problem? I'm paying towards a cruise I already booked. I have a receipt from HAL, and it shows the $500 being applied to the balance due. Nothing about shorex, dining rez, etc., which are too early to book anyway since the cruise is a year away.

I'll wait a few days to see what happens. Thanks for your insights and suggestions.

Roz

I read the find print in the offer, and it specifically says it's for $500 towards booking a cruise. I wonder if that's the problem? I'm paying towards a cruise I already booked. I have a receipt from HAL, and it shows the $500 being applied to the balance due. Nothing about shorex, dining rez, etc., which are too early to book anyway since the cruise is a year away.

I'll wait a few days to see what happens. Thanks for your insights and suggestions.

Roz

It’s OK if it was already booked. Maybe it’s just taking a little longer to show for some reason. If it’s showing under your AMEX app as Reservations, then it should work.

Roz

If you haven't already, login to your Amex card account (or if it's on your printed monthly statement) and check to see if the $500 charge came in as "Holland America Reservations" or some very similar verbiage. If so then yes, a call to Amex would be the next step. If the charge did not come through as I mentioned (e.g. it was presented to Amex as a TA named charge), then it would not qualify. Also, I just read your most recent post and no, the offer will be applied against a previously booked cruise - it does not have to be a new booking. We've done it multiple times over the last year or two with existing bookings.

Joe,

It definitely shows Holland America in Seattle on the AMEX statement. The statement I got from my TA showing the $500 payment is on HAL letterhead, so it's not a case of the funds being paid to the TA and then they transfer the money to the cruise line. I won't use a TA that does that, unless it's a special group or charter sailing.

Roz

Joe,

It definitely shows Holland America in Seattle on the AMEX statement. The statement I got from my TA showing the $500 payment is on HAL letterhead, so it's not a case of the funds being paid to the TA and then they transfer the money to the cruise line. I won't use a TA that does that, unless it's a special group or charter sailing.

Roz

Then it sounds like you've covered all the bases properly and probably should call Amex to inquire. :)

Mine shows my offer only working on cruises booked between 2/12/18 and 5/31/18 Boo

It’s always had a date range like that. It doesn’t matter as long as you add the offer to your card and pay on it within that timeframe. Been there, done that, saved a ton of money.

Thanks for sharing the link, the offer was not showing available on my husband or my Amex cards, but we were able to add it to both using the link. Made a payment towards our booking from each card and received the email confirming the offer was used on each. Happy to save the $200!

Also noteworthy I have two Amex cards linked to my online ID and the offer showed available for both cards, but once I selected which one I wanted to activate it for then it was no longer available for the second, even going back through the link a second time. So I'm assuming that means it can only be used once per online ID.

The 2nd link worked for me- added to my account. I already had a cruise booked and made a payment- worst case is a get some more Hilton points.
Good philosophy. I owe the money regardless, and I'll earn more points.

Roz

Sent from my LGL58VL using Forums mobile app