Wished NCL sails out of Baltimore, MD

fstuff1

Can't really get to any decent ports from Baltimore (or NY for that matter).

I don't agree with this at all. We did a wonderful Southern Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore on Celebrity before they pulled out of Baltimore. Granted it was a 12 day cruise but it had some awesome ports.

OP I am with you, we would probably sail even more if NCL went out of Baltimore.

I don't agree with this at all. We did a wonderful Southern Caribbean cruise out of Baltimore on Celebrity before they pulled out of Baltimore. Granted it was a 12 day cruise but it had some awesome ports.

OP I am with you, we would probably sail even more if NCL went out of Baltimore.

I also sailed on Celebrity out of Baltimore and loved it. We also took Empress of the Seas to Bermuda out of Baltimore and loved the 7 day cruise. Grandeur only does 5 days to Bermuda with 1 overnight. I enjoy the extra time on the island and have driven to NYC to sail NCL and Celebrity 7 day cruises to Bermuda. Wish we had more options in Baltimore. The itineraries just don't interest me.

Bridge clearance will keep it to smaller ships, which means older ships, which means less likely to have scrubbers installed or clean engines. Bay bridge: 186'. NCL Getaway: 179'. Verrazano Narrows bridge in NY: 228'.

I've said it before. This problem goes away if they cruise out of Norfolk. There's a beautiful relatively new cruise terminal in downtown Norfolk, no bridges to go under and roughly a couple hours to the open ocean.

Ok. I amend my comment that it is hard to do a 7-day cruise out of Baltimore on a weekly basis to ports beyond the Bahamas. You can do 12 and 14 day cruises, but the market would not sustain back to back Southern Caribbean/South American cruises year round. And, frankly, we don’t need another cruise to Port Canaveral and Nassau.

GREAT? By that you mean dirty, smelly, and covered in rust, and also NO late night food other than pizza that is ½ raw and look like it was just pulled out of a tub of Wesson oil?

Heyyy! I have been on the Pride twice. 14 days each time.

I liked it a lot and would book again if it is a journeys cruise and I like the itinerary. I did not find it dirty or smelly. It was fine for me. Yes, it was not shiny, bright and modern and at first I said hmmm at the renaissance theme, but it grew on me. It was different. I loved the service. Crew and staff were very friendly. In my opinion food was fine. MDR had better food than some other cruise ships...in my opinion. The alternative dining venues, free and paid, were very good. I did not have the oily pizza experience, but can say that for Guy's Burgers.

Both my cruises were longer ones, hence different demographics from the stereo typed 3 to 7 day cruises. I never had to make more than a round for a deck chair. Lot of open areas, which I preferred 100% over the chicken coop atmosphere on the away class ships (exception of the Escape) and some other ships of other cruise lines where one had to battle for finding a chair in a solarium.

These were my experiences and I would definitely book the Pride again if something I like comes along. Others may have different experiences and I respect them.

Now my experience on the Sunshine out of NYC 2 Augusts ago.....a whole different story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to tell you about that 'adventure' in person! ;):D

Heyyy! I have been on the Pride twice. 14 days each time.

I liked it a lot and would book again if it is a journeys cruise and I like the itinerary. I did not find it dirty or smelly. It was fine for me. Yes, it was not shiny, bright and modern and at first I said hmmm at the renaissance theme, but it grew on me. It was different. I loved the service. Crew and staff were very friendly. In my opinion food was fine. MDR had better food than some other cruise ships...in my opinion. The alternative dining venues, free and paid, were very good. I did not have the oily pizza experience, but can say that for Guy's Burgers.

Both my cruises were longer ones, hence different demographics from the stereo typed 3 to 7 day cruises. I never had to make more than a round for a deck chair. Lot of open areas, which I preferred 100% over the chicken coop atmosphere on the away class ships (exception of the Escape) and some other ships of other cruise lines where one had to battle for finding a chair in a solarium.

These were my experiences and I would definitely book the Pride again if something I like comes along. Others may have different experiences and I respect them.

Now my experience on the Sunshine out of NYC 2 Augusts ago.....a whole different story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will have to tell you about that 'adventure' in person! ;):D

Hi Arzeena! I just love the way you say things! Right to the point! lol. How are we going to meet in St. Maarten on November 1 st? There's 11,900 people in town that day! You have to tell me the story about the Sunshine......

I've said it before. This problem goes away if they cruise out of Norfolk. There's a beautiful relatively new cruise terminal in downtown Norfolk' date=' no bridges to go under and roughly a couple hours to the open ocean.[/quote']

Is there a passenger port there? Can't recall anyone cruising big ships from Norfolk. Except for aircraft carriers and guided missile cruisers lol.

Edit: Found it. Carnival. Kind of small can probably serve Gem sized ships and smaller. I think Norfolk needs a new big port with parking - lots of cities in driving distance! I'd even do it from Upstate NY. I hate the idea of flying to a cruise these days. Sure I'll get insurance, but I don't want the unreliable airlines screwing up the vacation I planned so hard for.

Edited by PelicanBill

We’ve been on the Sunshine 2X out of Norfolk. 3X glory. And 2 Holland ships back before they pulled out of Norfolk. RCCL used to also have a ship. I really would love to see the port utilized more than just 2 months a year by Carnival. This may the new Sunrise will be going out of Norfolk. We live 15m away so it’s super easy. Plenty of parking decks in downtown Norfolk. I don’t know why the port isn’t used more. I heard rumors about high port taxes.

We’ve been on the Sunshine 2X out of Norfolk. 3X glory. And 2 Holland ships back before they pulled out of Norfolk. RCCL used to also have a ship. I really would love to see the port utilized more than just 2 months a year by Carnival. This may the new Sunrise will be going out of Norfolk. We live 15m away so it’s super easy. Plenty of parking decks in downtown Norfolk. I don’t know why the port isn’t used more. I heard rumors about high port taxes.

You're right that there's plenty of parking very close to the port. We cruised Maasdam in 2006(?) and the convenience was great. Dropped off and picked up on the corner right in front of the terminal on Waterside Dr. Ya can't beat that. Now the fact that my DW and I were one of the youngest couples on the ship is a whole different issue. :D

Except the city doesn't want week long cruises taking up the spaces in the downtown garages. That's why they have parking a couple miles away with shuttle buses. And they don't want you dropping off at the port too, as traffic becomes congested. Instructions for the port ask you to to the parking lot for drop off and parking.

That's why I think a new cruise port in an uncrowded area is needed. There's lots of places it could be done.