Beverage Package Question

EMBFlyer

Hi Folks,

First-time HAL cruiser. We just booked the Eurodam for Alaska in 2019. I was looking at the beverage packages. I know a while back, HAL limited you to 15 drinks in a 24-hour period and sodas counted against that. I couldn't find any information on that on the HAL website. Can anyone tell me if this is still the case or not? Just curious.

Thanks! Looking forward to trying HAL out and going back to Alaska!

Then how come the 15 total is not mentioned anywhere on the HAL website?

Found this on the "Manage My Bookings", "Buy Gifts and Indulgences Page" for an upcoming cruise:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board.
So it does still say 15 beverages total. It wasn't easy to find though and they've gotten rid of the search feature for the site, it seems.

Found this on the "Manage My Bookings", "Buy Gifts and Indulgences Page" for an upcoming cruise:

So it does still say 15 beverages total. It wasn't easy to find though and they've gotten rid of the search feature for the site, it seems.

Do you know where I could find a price list for bottled water, soda, and coffee on board? I can not imagine 15 glasses of wine a day, so looking to figure out if this is a value for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called HAL ship services 1 800 541 1576 a few weeks ago and was told that non alcoholic drinks do not count with the 15 Signature Beverage pkg, but just spoke with Amy today and she said the 15 drink limit includes all alcoholic as well as non alcoholic drinks, so information that is posted on one of the threads is correct. I still think it is a good deal and we will be getting this package. A question, though, how is one to know, daily, how many drinks one has had....is it reported to the passenger?

A question, though, how is one to know, daily, how many drinks one has had....is it reported to the passenger?

You have to keep track of it yourself, i.e., saving / counting your receipts, or any other way you might want to keep track. HAL doesn't report anything back to you in any way, other than they begin charging you when / if you exceed your allotted 15 beverages for the day, which is in their computers.

You have to keep track of it yourself, i.e., saving / counting your receipts, or any other way you might want to keep track. HAL doesn't report anything back to you in any way, other than they begin charging you when / if you exceed your allotted 15 beverages for the day, which is in their computers.

And even more amateurish, you often don’t know who’s card they charged drinks to.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Just wondering, as we will be cruising on HAL. I looked at the price list above. If you order a gin and tonic, they charge you for the gin. Do they also charge you for the tonic?

No

We just got off the Noordam in Honolulu and we were told several times during the cruise that the non-alcoholic drinks were unlimited and did not count towards the 15.

There are Seattle's rules and Captains' rules, with the latter taking precedence.

And even more amateurish, you often don’t know who’s card they charged drinks to.

Ummm, I might dispute that; if you're saving and actually looking at your receipts. They clearly state which / whose account they were charged to.

There are Seattle's rules and Captains' rules, with the latter taking precedence.

Completely true, and Seattle's rules clearly state that all beverages count. Obviously YMMV from ship to ship and even cruise to cruise.

Ummm, I might dispute that; if you're saving and actually looking at your receipts. They clearly state which / whose account they were charged to.

It is still an amateur approach to drinks packages. You are rarely given a receipt, so you have to ask for it, the point of having a drinks package is so you do not need to keep receipts and run a spreadsheet to see how many drinks you have had. Don’t get me started on the approach to wine in the mdr. I often got up and went to the nearest bar to get our wine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I need to keep all receipts or just mark down the number of drinks I have had throughout the day and ALSO include the non alcoholic drinks...I wish that it was very clear about non alcoholic drinks not being in the 15 day limit, but like I posted Amy from HAL specifically specified that it is included in the 15 day limit.

So I need to keep all receipts or just mark down the number of drinks I have had throughout the day and ALSO include the non alcoholic drinks...I wish that it was very clear about non alcoholic drinks not being in the 15 day limit, but like I posted Amy from HAL specifically specified that it is included in the 15 day limit.

Yep.. you just need to keep track of your beverage consumption in whatever way suits you. Personally, I would count all beverages that would normally incur a charge in your 15/day limit, just to cover all bases.

As you've correctly pointed out, the information and guidance is not exactly clear regarding alcoholic vs non-alcoholic beverages counting, so really, the only way you'll know for sure is when you get on your ship and find out how that ship is doing it on that particular sailing.

You need to wait until you are onboard and speak to several (not just one) bar tenders. If they tell you that it is only alcoholic drinks included then you ask if they are prepared to be quoted should you have any problems with guest relations.

You then need to keep tally yourself or you can visit guest relations desk and ask them for a tally (which they have to do manually).

When ordering water ask for big bottles if they are including non alcoholic drinks.

Take a glass into the mdr with you or you could be waiting for wine for 30 minutes and miss an accompanying drink for your first 2 courses.

Btw with all of the cruise lines do not trust what hear office tells you and do not necessarily trust guest relations either. You need to ask specific crew to find out the true workings of the ship you are on.